1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Netflix Series

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BeanoMaster, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't even think it's on Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Okay the first promo teaser image for this new series was just recently released... and already people do not like this (some just as well despise it) and frankly I don't blame them.

1. This doesn't seem set during the time of the American West like the movie, the characters here are clearly modernized

2. The animation doesn't seem to be in hand-drawn either, it looks very much like cel-animation, if not completely computer generated

3. This looks like it could just as well be a rip-off of Dic's Horseland, right down to the teen or pre-teen human girls as the lead focus... no cowboys, no native americans, behold these three kids... these three, modern, pre-adult children...

Why this is not in conjuncture with the original movie I haven't the faintest clue; and I'm afraid to say this could just as well be the modern equivalent to how All Dogs Go To Heaven was treated since the 90's.

Now one can argue--

"Oh, well this might be a reboot, or a remake, or an alternate continuity, so they're just doing something different with the source material."

To which I say-- Okay, fair enough, except why is this still a good change? How does this make it a positive difference? And in what way does this still connect to a cult classic animated movie while still standing out as it's own thing, and not like a dime in a dozen similar shows we've seen before?

Now I don't just wanna jump aboard the flame train, I'll still give this show a fair chance, and from then on I'll try and give my own fair and honest opinion on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I'm going to pass on this. I might give it chance if it was more faithful to the original movie.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I recently saw the original film, and loved it way more than I thought I would. The gorgeous, hand-drawn animation reminded me of why I miss that style, and it was surprisingly emotional.

I mean, I'll wait for a trailer, but I'd be very disappointed if this was just a cash-grab type thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Troy Troodon

So I did further research and from what I read I can confirm that this is indeed a reimagining and in no way a sequel or any tie-in at all to the original film, and that the Spirit we see here is in fact not the same character nor has any relation to him.

Okay, fair enough but-- why NOT make this a tie-in to the original movie? There are so many possibilities you can go with this! Heck the Lion King has it's own series that does tie in to the same timeline between the first and second movie, so why not Spirit? If you want to introduce younger audience fair enough, but again the Lion King got away with it, and that was way before Spirit!

It's easy, make a series that's a direct follow-up, and introduce younger audiences to this cult classic, so they will know more about the source material so both younger and older audiences can sit down and enjoy this new product together and BAM, everybody's happy!

But like I said I'll keep my expectations low for now, and who knows maybe it may actually be good in it’s own right... please be good.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

^I thought the Lion King sequels were knocked out of continuity by John Lasseter a while back.

I'm a little surprised at the change in aesthetic, but I want to wait before passing judgement. But please Dreamworks, Road to El Dorado series next.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if the Lion King sequels are canon anymore either. The Lion Guard does introduce Simba's son Kion and the Lions of the Outlands episode showed the lions being forced into their new homes, even though they were already there by the time Kira and Kovu had met. I think it more like they possibly just kept the first half of the Lion King II with Kiara and Kovu meeting and may alter later events to keep Kion involved with the ending of that movie as possibly a series finale or something.

Still, I agree that they could have easily set this within the continuity of the movie pretty easily. If they wanted to include modern characters, okay, but they could just make this Spirit the descendant of the original one somehow. I'm also not thrilled with the designs. I was so excited that Spirit was finally getting some attention and having some kind of follow up to the original movie would have been neat, but this just looks disappointing. It could still be interesting and good on its own, but it does not leave a good first impression.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

This trailer-type thing appeared on Youtube out of no where. It is not officially uploaded, and is a cam-rip. For some reason the uploader has said it's coming to Disney Channel and has slapped a Disney Channel logo at the end. It is definitely not going to DC, Spirit Riding Free is still listed on Netflix's website as coming soon.

Anyway, it is CGI looks like it's going towards 'The Ranch', but some of the landscapes do look really nice. So it may be worth checking out.

EDIT: Apparently this is on the Trolls DVD.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Troy Troodon

Probably in an attempt to avoid copyright trouble... not that it'd help anyway. :/

Anyway, it is the first trailer so it's still too early to judge the show already, but I'll just come out and say it-- this doesn't really look as bad as I feared it could be; oh don't get me wrong it may just as well be inferior to the movie, but I don't think it'll be that bad. From what I gathered, this series is indeed it's own continuity and in no way related to the movie (I could still get into how I think it can be but I'll save that for another day) and indeed this spirit is not the same character. The cgi isn't as impressive as Dreamwork's other shows like Trollhunters I'll admit, but the backgrounds do look nice.

But yeah it does look a bit too cutesy, not that I mind cute and fluffy things, but the trailer portrays it in a way that is just... meh, just typical, cutesy girly stuff (or at least how most people think they appeal to girls)

Although I'll admit, that end bit was actually kind'a cute.

I'll still keep my expectations low for now, but I really.... REALLY hope Dreamworks does not screw this show up in anyway.

#30 Troy Troodon, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  11. Red Arrow :D

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I really don't want to see this anymore : /

12. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Before I landed onto the forums today, I was pleasantly surprised that Spirit was getting its own series. I thought it was going to be like some cool Western series, so seeing something so...different has left a bad taste in my mouth and a huge feeling of disappointment. But I guess if this introduces kids to the OG movie, that's...something?

13. Media Man

Media Man Member

I have been following the news on this series and I am disappointed too- especially since the series is going to be computer animated.

Call me a curmudgeon, but when you transition a animated movie to animated tv series you need to keep the look and animation style the same.

For example the Kung Fu Panda movies were computer animated. When the movie transitioned to tv series it too was computer animated (and looked like the movies).

This was not the case with The Croods (loved the movie hated the animated tv series), Home, Tangled and the forthcoming Big Hero Six.

Especially Big Hero Six. The movie was computer animated. The tv series should have exactly the same visuals as well. Which is why the news of the Spirit tv series is disappointing.

I probably won't be watching either. (Don't get me wrong I liked DIC's Horseland) But the Spirit tv series should look exactly like the movie that preceded it (traditionally animated).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

^Eh, I don't think series spin-offs of movies need to look exactly like the source material. Tangled: The Series looks fine, and I prefer its stylized 2D animation to Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness' CGI.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Plus, movies and tv shows have different production crews (and often different actors). No matter how good looking a CG show is, it doesn't have the budget of a CG movie, which usually boasts itself to more fluid and dynamic animation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Where I heard the name spirit and something to do with horses, I assumed this was something like the Last Unicorn, something more to do with magic and fantasy, this sounds nothing like that. Than again I never heard the movie to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

You've never heard of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron!? (not making fun of you, I'm just surprised)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, it isn't one of the more popular or well known Dreamworks movies. Even among their 2D movies, I don't think it's as well known compared to The Prince of Eygpt or The Road to El Dorado.

As for the issue with the animation, I don't think it's necessary for a TV series to use the same animation style as the movie. The characters in Tangeled look fine to me based on the trailers. There are some cases where CGI character designs don't translate well into 2D, such as with the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs series, but that's not the case with every 2D movie with a CGI series. I didn't get a chance to see the trailer yet for this, but the horses at least look fine in CGI.

19. Red Arrow :D

I think Spirit is definitely more popular/well-known than The Road to El Dorado. There are lots of clips on YouTube uploaded by fans, in 32 (!) languages/versions. I think Frozen is the only movie that can beat this record.

Every time I hear someone talk about good animated movies (in real life), it's always about Disney, Shrek, Spirit, Anastasia or How to Train Your Dragon.

Also, Here I Am from Brian Adams used to be in many European hitlists. (official lists of the most popular songs at the moment) Same thing with You'll Be in My Heart from Phill Collins and Let It Go. Can't think of any other examples. (if they exist at all)

• Like Like x 1
    #39 Red Arrow :D, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  20. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member