1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Netflix Series

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BeanoMaster, Jun 18, 2016.

1. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

http://www.animationmagazine.net/to...5-original-kids-toons-plus-nick-kroll-series/

If DW make more shows based on their lesser known movies, I would really like an El Dorado series. Bee Movie and Over the Hedge series would be great as well!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

This means I will have to get Netflix then!

Can someone please explain the last sentence to me? :sweat: Do they mean it won't be aired on television in those countries or do they mean it won't be on Netflix in Southern Europe and Asia?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is a really awesome surprise. I loved Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and seeing it a Netflix series sounds really neat. It will give some more attention to one of their lesser known movies. I probably should get Netflix one of these days to watch the series, along with the new Voltron series and anything else that is exclusive to Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I think I'm more anxious Hilda than all the rest (Save Skylanders) but maybe this will turn out good to.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Well that was really unexpected. Although I liked the movie, I don't think it's enough to get me to subscribe to Netflix again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

Interesting. I haven't watched Spirit all the way through. I'll definitely check it out when it releases. I will say, though, Netflix has ben doing pretty well on acquiring and producing content for children recently. I hope some of their endeavors produce success for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm kind of curious how they'll be able to make a TV series based on the movie. The ending doesn't really open itself up to a lot of continuation. Granted, that never stopped them with TV series based on movies before, but I wonder how they'll handle it here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

This is probably the only one of Dreamworks' 2D movies that I never got around to seeing. Very interesting development though. This might get me to finally sit and watch the movie. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this series develops.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Road to El Dorado was planned to be a movie series. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas has a lot of potential.
    But NOOOO....they went with the boring (yet beautiful) Oscar bait film for a series. That's so unbelievably random!
    Ah well, it might be good. Hopefully other DW series from their 2D era will get a series too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

DreamWorks gave Spirit a G rating, which they hadn't done for a traditionally-animated film before; of course, there's also Joseph, but that's another story.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh! I know Dreamworks made it a priority to make animated spinoffs based off their successful films and franchises, but I didn't expect to see them dig back into their catalogue of older movies to develop a new series :sweat:.

Though I remember watching Spirit as a kid, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from this series and what it'll look like :).

Now where's my Megamind, Guardians, and Sinbad cartoon Dreamworks :p?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had more plans for The Road to El Dorado, which would probably why the ending kind of felt like it was open enough for a continuation. I've never seen Sinbad though. I really like Spirit, but I don't know if I'd choose it for a TV series. Between the two movies that I've seen, a TV series for The Road to El Dorado would make much more sense and would possibly lend itself better as a TV series too. I don't mind that they're giving attention to Spirit instead since I really liked it, but I do agree it's kind of random and I'm really not sure where they'll go with as a series. It would be nice if this lead to Dreamworks giving other movies from their 2D era a series.

When I watched the movie in theaters, I remember wondering how the heck this movie got a G rating. It's not violent from what I remember, but the villains did use guns and the whole scene with the train tracks was pretty intense. If it was put in theaters today, it would definitely get a PG rating, so I don't know how it got away with a G rating in 2002.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Especially considering that Ice Age, Lilo and Stitch, and The Wild Thornberrys Movie all earned PG ratings that year.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I actually love this film, I would put it on my top 5 DreamWorks films, ignoring sequels, but I don't see how it can work as a TV show, and it's random, since I think this film did poorly back in 2002.

Yeah, the MPAA doesn't really make any sense, they also gave Cars 2 a G rating even though they had guns, torture scenes, and on screen deaths, yet films like Frozen has zero objectionable content and is rated PG.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

I wonder if it will come out in May next year, Spirit's 15th anniversary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dijei Zasin

Dijei Zasin New Member

Bit of an odd one. I thought we'd see an "Antz" series (called "Bugz") before this.

17. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I remember being so annoyed by this movie as a kid because it wasn't Shrek 2 it was also boring as heck.

18. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I remember finding Shrek extremely unfunny and boring as a kid, while loving Spirit because it was so thrilling :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Eggy

Eggy Member

It's surprising and cool that they are making a show based on one of their obscure films.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dijei Zasin

Dijei Zasin New Member

Is the movie popular on streaming? That might be why. Or simply, they have a great idea worth exploring. Haha!