1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Spiderman movie dead?!?!

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Trent Lane, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

But there were also scenes where it WTC was in the background. So they'll have to go through the whole thing, make sure they find each time Spidey's swingin' around with the towers in the background, and then digitally remove the towers. I'm sure Sony isn't happy about it, and the Special Effects folks probably aren't either.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I hear that erasing shots from movies can cost alot of money. The longer the scene, the more cash. This will definatly put SPIDER-MAN over it's $100 mill budget.

3. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

The general thought 'round Hollywood is to spend the extra money if the element in question may hurt business. And with the money spend on Spidey so far, 'leaving it be' almost shows you don't care. And that's even worse than being overly cautious...

And here's another thing that may end up on Saban's cutting board from episode 23 of the new Digimon season:

http://temp.animeintro.net/images/dtep23-08.jpg

4. James Harvey

I can't see that image going over good with the brass at FOX. Leaving it is can show carelessness, I suppose...

5. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

There's a big--

--difference between concern and rabid lunatic paranoia. Hacking/reshuffling schedules at the last minute and censoring every reference to a tower or an explosion is getting into the latter. I feel like I'm the one being punished, not the perpetrators, esp. after losing Cowboy Bebop and a good third of "Adult Swim". It's like telling a rape victim, "You deserved it, you tramp." Seems a thirty-second disclaimer after the opening credits would be more economically- and time-sound, and responsible, than having to reshoot and airbrush every other frame in the bloody movie. But then, Hollywood is famous for its massive, expensive gestures that scream "I care" but really do nothing.

6. James Harvey

I think we're going to soon find out how much this is going to effect Hollywood in a couple months. I can understand MIB2 redoing their ending but it may soon delve into lunacy with changing every little frame.

7. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

What I don't exactly get

Ok, why are they changing these movies now? Is it because they feel we will feel that the images of the WTC in these movies will bring back painful memories for movie goers? Yet everytime I turn on the news, they are showing some kind of replay of the terrorist attack itself. I think I'd rather see the WTC in Spider Man, all in it's former glory, rather than have to sit and watch the towers crumble on TV again. I think rather than changing these movies and potentially others, they should leave them as they are and let us see them as part of the healing process.

8. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I'm just thinking back to that MIB episode where K get's neuralized and J asks him.

"What's the tallest building in Manhatan."

And K says the empire state building, J corrects him and say the WTC, K doesn't believe him but then see's them for himself.

9. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

I think it sucks that Hollywood is trying to remove the WTC from their movies. Why should we just forget about them?

Mr. Eye

10. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I'm sayin!

They were wonderful structures! To eliminate them from these movies is like taking away pictures of a family member who has passed on. It's just wrong. I say let's remember these movies for being the last ones that used the WTC and showed them the way they were before they were so forcefully taken from us.

11. Mr. Mayhem

Mr. Mayhem Guest

Huh?

Did you say they do not want Die Hard or Independence Day to be shown or sold ever again? That's ridiculous. We can't just look at it as if the WTC never existed. That's just throwing away a piece of history. What are they going to do with the 1976 verison of King Kong? As I remember the WTC played a huge role in the ending of that movie.

12. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

It'd be a waste of money to keep movies like that under wraps forever. Or to redub a MiB episode that was true when it was made, true the first couple of airings... ('tho, with the sequel- look for the change)

Plenty of movies feature long-gone buildings and actors... But after they're gone, no more. Even if some shooting's been done, the last project with him/her/it/them is often revamped or completely done away with. The WTC is no longer part of the NY skyline, so it makes sense that we won't see it in movies set 'now'. Anything else is really silly, even if you hate a certain movie.

13. James Harvey

Out of courisity, who's excited to see the upcoming SPIDER-MAN feature? I am personally myself, being a semi-Spidey fan. I think the movie is in great hands and an absolute perfect cast & crew.

14. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

I sure am. I've been a Spidey-fan since I first learned about him as a kid on PBS's The Electric Company. Hopefully, Marvel will be able to keep on it's streak of making successful movies (Blade, X-Men) as opposed to the stuff made before then (Punisher, Capt. America, the aborted Fantastic Four project). It sure sounds like Spidey will be a big hit, though.

15. James Harvey

I think it will hit over $200 million. They're releasing it at just right right time, and giving it two weeks before SW Ep2 hits. I'm sur eit'll gross at least $100 mill within those two free weeks, then make it's way to $200 - 250 mill.

16. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

I've always gotten a kick out of the web-head, and I've got strong hopes that this movie will stay true to his spirit. I know I'll be seeing it the day it's out...

17. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I'd love to see this in the theater but I have the feeling I will more than likely put it off and wind up waiting for the DVD.

18. optimal321

optimal321 The Manhunter from Mars

Well, i'm not going to set my expectations too high, unless the movie doesn't stand up to them. But...

I think it'll be great!!! It sounds great!!! It looks great!!! I don't see how it won't be great!!!

But like i said, just keeping a level head:D

19. PlopKat

PlopKat Member

Movies afftected by WTC terrorists

This is from ZENtertainment #492. It's a list of upcoming movies that will be afftected by the tragedy in New York City last week.

"- DAMAGE was pulled due to its story about Arnold Schwarzenegger taking on a group of terrorists; TRAINING DAY moved to its October 5th release date to allow the studio to properly publicize the cop drama.
    "- BIG TROUBLE, which deals with a bomb on a plane, is now expected out early next year.
    "- DREAMWORKS has pulled the poster for Robert Redford's THE LAST CASTLE due to its image of the American flag flying upside down.
    "- SIDEWALKS is simply a romantic comedy set in New York; it's now expected out in November.
    "- SPIDER-MAN has had its trailer and teaser posted pulled for showing the World Trade Center, and scenes will either be edited or re-shot to not show the building in the film.
    "- A WTC-like building shown in ZOOLANDER that the enemy uses as their headquarters is being digitally-erased.
    "- The big finale of the MEN IN BLACK sequel will no longer take place at the WTC.
    "- DAILY VARIETY reports TIME MACHINE is being pushed to February 8th, and an end scene where pieces of the moon fell on New York City will be removed."

© 2001 ZENtertainment

---------------------

I'm also looking forward to the SPIDER-MAN movie. I didn't see too many movies this past summer & never got a chance to see the trailer for it. Perhaps it will make it onto the SPIDER-MAN DVD as an easter egg.

-PlopKat

20. Jowy Blight

Jowy Blight Chillin' Out

I'm really looking forward to the Spiderman movie myself. He was the first Superhero I ever saw, and I'm a pretty big fan.

Huh? first they take the WTC out of the movies, but now they can't show the American flag hanging upside down!? Honestly, this is kinda starting to annoy me.