1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Woman gets a redesign

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by RoryWilliams, Dec 19, 2014.

1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So I guess we're in the era of practical, easier to cosplay, costume redesigns for Superheroines? Between this, the new Batgirl, and some of the other recent redesigns (some of which have also been done by Kris Anka) it's definitely looking like a trend. And they still somehow manage to make the characters look a few years younger :p.

From a design standpoint, as a costume in general and as a redesign, I'd say I like it but... I actually quite liked Spider-Woman's old costume, despite how suggestively drawn artists often rendered it, and wasn't really feeling it needed to be changed. Especially considering how long she's had her old costume, but then I guess the argument for that would be it's outdated :shrug:.

I also can't say I'm fond of the move from spandex for Superheroes to stuff you could feasibly make from scratch in real life out of normal clothes, because that's not something I personally look for or expect when it comes to Superhero costumes. Maybe for a street-level hero, which they seem to be shifting Jessica into by taking her back to her PI roots, but not really for an Avenger. Just my two cents though :ack:.

Though considering precedent, maybe the whole point of the redesign was to get Jessica to start wearing something they could more feasibly adapt into the MCU :sweat:?

#2 Frontier, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For me it's comparable to what they did for Carol Danvers with the shift to the suit from that leotard type thing that kinda shouted "supermodel for fanboys!" as the intent. While content can override that comics is a visual medium and perception and first impressions affect whether people give a book a chance or not. A more sensible and inclusive design is a good thing. It can always be altered and refined later. For now, the general shift in this direction seems positive to me.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I like it! I think it manages to be evocative of the original outfit while also feeling a lot more practical and less overtly sexualized. And honestly, it's not that dramatic a change: she's still pretty much in a skin-tight outfit that accentuates her figure (which is also much less pneumatic than it has been in the past).

I do find it amusing that Marvel seems to be playing catch-up with the positive press Batgirl got with the "Burnside" costume re-design, though. Doesn't make this any less praiseworthy, though.

5. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Is it me or does she looks like Asami Sato from Korra?

6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

It looks okay, I kinda agree with Frontier that it feels derivative of all the other superhero redesigns of the last couple of years (Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Batgirl, etc.). The aesthetic is starting to feel stale, at least to me.

7. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Personally I don't think it fits her, I don't know, the reason why Batgirl and Hawkguy wear practical costumes is because they are normal humans and they need whatever to get the edge when fighting crime. But this is freaggin Spider Woman not only does she have all the powers of Spiderman plus more but she beat him in hand to hand combat so its basically like giving Superman a bulletproof vest

8. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The original is so much better. I can't say I care for the new costume.

9. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

It probably has less to do with protection and more with them not wanting to draw her in a skintight body condom /body paint look anymore. Especially after the Milo Manara incident (though the artist claims he started work on this BEFORE that happened).

#9 RoryWilliams, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  10. mqg96

mqg96 Member

Damn I was just about to say, I'm not sure about Spider-Woman's background but Asami's background was into engineering technology and working on many products as well. There could be many ways this version of Spider-Woman and Asami relate to each other.

11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Asami and Jessica are pretty different. They don't have much in common besides hair color.