1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man: The Animated Series" vs "The Spectacular Spider-Man" - Preference?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Miyamoto Musashi, May 14, 2008.

?

Do you prefer "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" or "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

1. I prefer "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

58.2%
  2. I like/love them both

22.0%
  3. "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" wins the challenge for me

19.8%
  1. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

Oh, okay. I didn't know that. :D

I know that the clothes a character wears might seem funny to complain about, but it just seem out of place for something MJ to wear. lol Just a small nitpick.

2. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I didn't have a problem with how MJ dressed in the 90s series, cowgirl boots and all.

You know what I did have a problem with? The cliffhanger that left her fate unresolved.

And you know another thing I had a problem with? Madam Webb. I don't care if she was voiced by Stan Lee's wife, that character brought absolutely nothing to the table but an annoying, nagging voice and an overall "mystical" presence that didn't mesh well with the street level heroics that are more Spidey's style.

3. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

I still argue that Ock and the Green Goblin were better on TSSM. Even without bringing the comic into it (because frankly, SMTAS was my first exposure to these characters), they just work so much better.

With all of the adaptations leading to a Norman good, Goblin evil, it's refreshing to have a version of Norman who isn't so nice. And someone who can keep his calm even when held in midair is just cool.

For Dr. Octopus, his depiction in the first TAS he made depicts him as someone who shouldn't answer to a superior. I mean working with the Kingpin on occasion for a mutual interest was fine, but he was really just a lackey with a high IQ. TSSM has his own group and doesn't feel like another average super criminal.

4. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

You know, when it comes the actual designs of the characters that deviated from the comics a bit in Spectacular Spider-Man, they actually aren't too bad when the restraints of being simplified for the sake of animation aren't there. Just look at Gobby, when I first saw him in Catalysts I hated the design, but his characterization (and some shots in The Uncertainty Principle) made me love it.

Even Vulture
    [​IMG]
    The designs themselves for the villains who aren't simply a direct translation from comics (sorry Mysterio, Sandman, and the lot of ya) are actually pretty solid, it's just the artstyle really.

5. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to mention close to the original Lee/Ditko version. Norman was a corrupt businessman before he was the Gobiln. The amnesia effect just made him seem like he had split personality, and everyone ran with it afterwards.

The irony being that TAS first started out large and in charge and became a whipped lackey, while TSSM went through the complete opposite.

6. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

I agree. I really wanted to know how Spider-Man was going to find her again. I thought MJ's fate would be resolved in Spider-Man Unlimited, but it never did.

I also agree with what you said about Madam Webb. As a kid, I thought she was very annoying. She kept popping up. :sad: And I thought she was kind of creepy. lol

7. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Apparently the idea was that Spidey and Madam Webb would go back in time, find an amnesiac MJ working as a stage actress in Victorian England, with Carnage thrown in for no better reason other than to have some Carnage, then they'd fix her memory, bring her back to the present, and it would be revealed that MJ always knew - or had known for some time - that Peter Parker & Spider-Man were one & the same (they say that if you re-watch past episodes closely you'll see hints of this).

As to why 90s TAS Spider-Man got cancelled before it could resolve this, I've heard a couple of different versions. One is that the company that animated the show simply ran out of money (was it around this time that Marvel was having bankruptcy issues? My history's a little rusty there), another more persistent story is that one of the execs at Fox Kids strongly disliked Marvel's Avi Arad and she cancelled the show as a way of giving him the middle finger, even though it was one of their most popular shows, and then green-lit "Spider-Man Unlimited" to replace it, only to have that series flop.

Say it with me: Madam Webb is EVIL.

8. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Where are those pictures from? Or rather, who was the artist?

9. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

That art is gorgeous. I've seen some great work with a realistic take on Electro as well. But I'm also the only human being that actually liked the designs. They were refreshing, smooth, and gave the show a unique identity.

10. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I really liked a lot of the redesigns Sean Galloway did. Electro was one of the few I wasn't too keen on, but I think it's better than the old costume.

One thing I loved about SSM was the way the handled the villains, updating them in smart and interesting ways. I liked how much attention to detail they had, like showing how they escaped prison or made sure they weren't arrested if they were going to be used again. Or how they improved their weapons and tactics so Spidey couldn't beat them the same way twice, like Vulture reinforcing his flying apparatus or Elector improving his skills so he doesn't short out in water.

11. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

The artist behind Gobby is this guy

The one who did the Vulture is here, He also did the Green Goblin, but the face isn't as spot on as the other guys.

12. nightrider321

nightrider321 Member

Spiderman/P.P- What made you like Spiderman in TAS more than TSSM? I'm pretty confused on that seeing how Spiderman in TSSM resembles his comic counterpart more than the body-builder Spiderman in TAS. Also, a mole is a pretty trivial complaint.

MJ- I'll admit that was the wrong argument to use against her. However, her clothes seem very outdated(even for the 90's) and she was a little bit too fat for my tastes.

Aunt May- Really? I really would have to disagree here. TSSM's Aunt May looks much more like your everyday caring aunt than TAS's. TAS's also looks way too old.

JJJ- Explain more, please. Aside from perhap the mustache size, I don't see a difference between them.

Doc Ock- Basically, you hate his design because of his weight? Well, he IS a scientist not a athlete. Still, while I admit it could be too overweight, TAS's design isn't even better due to the fact that his abs looks thicker than Michael Phelps. So with both the body sizes being equally horrendous, we should judge everything else. And "everything else" is where TSSM's Ock prevails. I'm sure you would agree with me on that since the only complaint you had about TSSM was his weight.

Lizard- TAS's Lizard looked too cartoony and not as deadly as TSSM's. First off, real lizards aren't that light green(like in TAS). TSSM's design captures the color perfectly. Second, the teeth, claws and even tail look much more detailed in TSSM than in TAS.

G.G, Mysterio, Electro, Shocker - Agreed

Rhino- Really? They both seem the same size to me. And the TSSM's Rhino's horn looks sharper and more amplified than TAS's dull one.

Kraven, Chameleon- Agreed.

Vulture- Sure, he looks different from the comics but, once again, his new design makes him look much more deadly. He looks way more mobile in the air than TAS's.

Venom- Not sure where you're going with the comparison. They both look equally bad, IMO. TAS's captured the body shape correctly but the red and blue shades make him look outright ridiculous. TSSM's Venom was terribly disproportionate but he looks more intimidating. Also, at least they got his color correct.

13. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Awesome! I'll have to post that to the new TSSM tumblr.

Which can be found here. </plug>

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it's the first time that I've heard that one.

15. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 Member

Both shows elevated some characters that aren't all that special in comics. Spectacular made Tombstone a crime boss, which makes sense given his strength and abilities (I can't see him working for someone weaker than he is now). Unfortunately, the series was unable to go on and let us witness his relationship with former friend Robbie Robertson (Especially with Tombstone having the government watch his transactions and all that, he'd have to go back to some of his former friends). Luckly we were able to get that Robbie/Tombstone thing in the 90's series.

In the 90's series Debra Whitman was way more important than she ever was in the comic books. In fact, I think more people know her from that show than from her comic book appearances. It's a shame we didn't see how Spectacular was able to handle this character aside from making her black to distance her from Gwen as far as physical attributes (as people did compare Gwen to Debra looks wise).

They both also tried to introduce diversity to the Spider-Man series, just in different ways. If I recall, John Semper did say that the original character Detective Terri Lee was created for that specific reason. Terri Lee was pretty much a black version of Jean DeWolff of comics. Spectacular just changed members of the supporting cast to different races in order to reflect a more realistic modern New York City...including Jean DeWolff (a Native American in this series).

One thing that bothered me in the 90's series more than Doc Ock taking orders from Kingpin was the fact that the Green Goblin wouldn't keep his mouth shut and tell everyone and their mom that he had connections to Norman... Osborn should have been dead THE NEXT DAY after telling it all to Kingpin...

All and all I wonder how well the Ultimate animated series will do in comparison to these two shows. They both set the bar pretty high as they are the two most fondly remembered Spidey shows (does anyone ever talk about the MTV series that came in between?).

16. toonboy53

toonboy53 Member

I didn't really like the MTV version. Tbh I was a little biased. I'm not really a fan of CGI animation but I should give it a try because I've only watched one episode I think. As for Ultimate Spiderman I don't think it will be as popular as 90's animated or Spectacular.