1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man: The Animated Series" vs "The Spectacular Spider-Man" - Preference?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Miyamoto Musashi, May 14, 2008.

?

Do you prefer "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" or "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

1. I prefer "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

58.2%
  2. I like/love them both

22.0%
  3. "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" wins the challenge for me

19.8%
  1. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Despite Spectacular trumping nearly every Marvel show on several levels, my vote goes to Spider-man TAS.

Granted, it's flawed beyond flawed, but it delivered some of the most spine-tingling lines and phenomenal moments in animated history, a few of which even demolished those in Batman TAS.

Had Spectacular continued - and consequently had character designs that didn't look like Playmobile figurines - I might have had a different opinion. TAS is simply something I grew up with, something which captured the character of Pete most excellently [he's a college student, the guy's allowed to be a tad more muscular and not flat-out nerdy, folks :)] and something that, like X-Men, Batman, Superman and the first season of Hulk, as well as Gargoyles and the Big Six of Cartoon Network, has set new standards in animation, and has done so under a tight budget in an unforgiving era known as the Nineties.

Tune in again next time for more, folks.

:D

2. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would go with Spectacular Spider-Man in a heartbeat.

Spider-Man The Animated Series is cheese, pure and simple. Its pretty faithful to the canon, but its too... whitebread.

I really preferred the take on the Spider-Man that SSM gave us. In most instances I prefer the classic costumes for the villains, but they weren't bad enough to really be counted against them.

3. nightrider321

nightrider321 Member

Could you give some examples of these "spine-tingling lines" and "phenomenal moments"? I grew up with TAS too but the only good moment I remember was the ending of Turning Point. Oh, and college students don't necessarily have to be muscular. But that's just my opinion.

4. nightrider321

nightrider321 Member

Do you mind pointing out these "spine-tingling lines" and "phenomenal moments"? I grew up with TAS as well but the only memorable moment I can think of was the ending of Turning Point. The reason the characters look like figurines is so that the animation can run a lot smoother(animation>art design). Also, I don't think that being a college student necessarily means that you have to be muscular but that's just my opinion.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Spectacular blows 90's Spidey away. Not that the 90's show was bad or anything, but Spectacular had great storytelling as well as excellent redesigns for some of the stupider looking Spidey villains. And I also appreciated the effort to make Peter's supporting cast more diverse.

90's Spidey may have been more faitful to the comics but that's not always the best thing for telling a story. If I had to name one complaint it was the lack of guest-stars.

#365 RoryWilliams, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Then why is your vote with TAS? ;)

I do wish I could change my vote, though. When SSM was first airing, I did like it a lot, but I also still had strong, nostalgic feelings towards TAS. Now that SSM finished airing and I've rewatched TAS, I do favor the former unanonymously.

The crew of SSM wasn't allowed to use heroes from other franchises not owned by Sony (except maybe....Ghost Rider?). But there were plans for one team-up a season, with the Human Torch being the first one, and the X-Men (Prof. X, Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, maybe Firestar) second.

7. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Even then, I really don't see why guest stars should be a selling point or lack of guest stars should be a turn off.

Done well, they can be a nice and unexpected bonus, but otherwise not necessary if the show has quality writing to begin with.

8. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I completely agree. I just thought your comment was criticism against SSM for lack of guest stars.

To be honest, I kinda liked having Spidey being in his own huge corner of the Marvel Universe. Like the X-Men, the Spidey frachise has enough supporting characters, villains, settings, and stories to sustain itself. Ocassional guest heroes would have been nice, but not a detractor from the show.

9. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I don't know where people are getting that TAS was "more faithful to the comics" 'cause I remember quite a lot of non-faithful moments. I don't think SSM was any less faithful to the comics than TAS was.

Yeah, exactly, why would we want a lot of guest stars on a solo Spider-Man show? Surely Spidey himself should be the draw for the show, not a "who's going to show up this week" hook. But for some reason talk of Spider-Man shows somehow lead into a “when’s X going to show up?” and fans wanting guest stars.

10. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

There really is no need for guest stars, agreed. And half the fun of a Spidey show is him trying to outwit, outfight and out-everything his rather extended gallery of villains.

But let's be honest. A few guest stars here and there don't hurt either, right?

[In moderation, of course]

11. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

The animation in SSM is better (much smoother, no jarring use of CGI, no constant reusing of old shots), the fight choreography is phenomenal, the new takes on the classic villains is a real solid update, the voice acting is just as good, it gets more done in individual episodes while still having that ongoing story feel, and there's almost no censorship issues bogging this one down.

I'd say the only thing the 90s show has over SSM going for it is that the designs were better and it had a lot of guest star superheroes. Beyond that SSM wins.

I think most people say this because the designs were closer to their comic counterparts. Well with the exception of Peter. People complain about him being skinny/slim in SSM, when that's what he's supposed to be. Not built like a linebacker.

12. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Meh. Based on how most people dislike TSSM for having what they deem to be childish designs, it comes off as dark, edgy and realistic designs make everything better. Or to put it another way, the problem I see that people have with the designs is based more on the fear that a friend or family will walk in on them watching a childish looking show and hassle them.

Sure, but I've seen a post here and there on this and other forums that pretty much insist that TAS was better because it had guest stars.

13. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

I somewhat understand the people who don't like the designs, I was a bit turned off by them at first. But it just annoys me how they keep mixing it up with animation.

And I find it pretty asinine for people to bash the show for being "too kiddy!" Ironic thing is SSM had things and plots TAS would never allow. And even if so, a show being more "mature" doesn't automatically make it the better one.(IE MTV Spider-man)

Hell Punisher War Zone was pretty dark and gritty. Does this make it better than Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America?

14. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

^I agree. It seems like the number one hate for TSSM is the character designs. A character design won't make or break a show. It's mainly the plot, character developments, and animation. I would say TSSM had all three of those.

15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Are we talking the actual character designs or just the costumes? Because in the case of a few characters like Vulture, Electro and Doc Ock I felt the costume redesigns were a vast improvement.

The character models themselves had a very unrealistic feel, particularly in body proportions, but I don't see what looking "realistic" has to do with the quality. Especially when the 90's show had realistic character designs that looked very pretty but often looked like crap in motion. The minimalist designs on Spectacular made for much smoother animation.

16. Notdoppler

Notdoppler New Member

They are both good series in their own ways but overall I like TAS more, but that's just my opinion, and it may have something to do with the fact that I grew up watching it.

Spider-Man: The Animated Series
    • The show had some excellent character designs, in particular Mysterio and Shocker.
    • The show was also very faithful to the comic books, which can be perceived as being either a good thing or a bad thing. However, it did cook up some original stories, with some random extra characters thrown in, and it sometimes suffered from doing this.
    • There are some very well written episodes and some very bad ones. As stated over on the reviews by Amazing Spidey: "One of, if not the most annoying thing about this show was that when it was good, it was arguably the best show on TV. When it was bad? It was absolutely terrible, almost to the point of being unwatchable."
    • Much in the same way goes the quality of the animation. While it can be expected that a series from 1994 may be inferior than a 2008 show in terms of animation, in some episodes, particularly towards the beginning of the series, the animation is excellent. However, the middle three seasons saw the animation take a dip, although some of the Season 1 quality was kept in some episodes. Thankfully it somewhat improved again by Season 5.
    The Spectacular Spider-Man

• In my opinion, poorer character designs than TAS, particularly Doc Ock!
    • Original stories which worked well, without using took much comic book material. Characters were also used in the right place at the right time, something which TAS arguably failed to do (sometimes).
    • Consistently good writing/storytelling. Although IMO TAS's best episodes were better than SSS's best episodes, the latter show had more consistency and far less bad episodes thrown into the mix than TAS, as highlighted above.
    • Like in TAS, SSS's animation went very much the same way as the storytelling did. Although it can be expected that a 2008 will have better animation than a 90s show, unlike TAS, this show had a consistent standard of animation throughout, which was a rather good one at that.
    Overall, SSS has better consistency and TAS has more extreme good and bad points (so has some very good things about it). My head probably says SSS wins but my heart says TAS.

17. carnage89

carnage89 Member

I only watch TAS because it is the only animated appearance of Hobgoblin & Carnage. The first three seasons are still enjoyable after all those years, but they are far from perfect. The use of lame villains like Rocket Racer and The Spot doesnt help.

As for SSM, well, I like the designs for the adults, for the kids they could've been better, but its not a big problem for me. And Final Curtain trumps everything TAS ever did.

18. ToonEGuy

ToonEGuy Member

Here's my take on it:

Spider-Man: Out of all the character designs in Spectacular Spider-Man, Spidey himself is perhaps one that I didn't find so bad (probably because the design is more adaptable to other styles, much like seeing Harley Quinn in both Batman: TAS and TNBA. However, I prefer the design of Spider-Man: TAS cause it looks better to me.

Peter Parker: Maybe I can see how TAS Peter Parker doesn't look wimpy enough, but again, I like this version more (I do recall that I've seen some early production animation of the show before where Peter looked more skinny before they came up with the final design). I also remember Peter Parker being more of an adult in the Spider-Man comics of the 90's, so obviously a lot of inspiration for the show must have come from the 90's comics like it was with X-Men since this was when the show was made. I'm sure I would have still liked it if the show had the wimpier Peter Parker, but I don't care too much about Spectacular's design. I mean, why does he have a mole on his face anyway?

Black Cat: I prefer TAS cause she looks more attractive while the one in Spectacular looks too young (I suppose she's supposed to be young in the context of that show, but still).

Mary Jane Watson: You know, if this is an art comparison, then we can't really base our decision on voice acting. Anyway, I'm probably going to go for TAS.

Aunt May: TAS again. This Aunt May just feels more like an "Aunt May" to me.

J. Jonah Jameson: TAS. They're not really all that same if you look closely enough.

Doc Ock: I'm likely going to pick TAS, beacuse even though that Doc Ock had a bowlcut and 90's-ish body armor, at least he didn't come off looking like a fat version of The Ventriloquist from Batman: TAS and looked less silly. Now if he had Spectacular's ripped coat, non-bowlcut look, he'd probably look even better.

The Lizard: The one from Spectacular didn't look too bad, but I like the one from TAS better. Frankly, I don't see how he doesn't look lizard enough, cause he always did to me.

Green Goblin: TAS (no surprise there).

Mysterio: Doesn't really matter to me either. Like my decision for Spider-Man, Mysterio's design is already simple enough that it doesn't seem to make much difference. One thing I would like to know though is if the fishbowl head of Spectacular's Mysterio glows when he talks the way the TAS version did.

Electro: This one's kind of difficult, because yes, the one from TAS is based directly on the comics, but admittingly Spectacular did try something different that I'm kind of open to (after all I was also open to the version from that CGI Spider-Man series with the blue electrical body). It almost seems like an unfair comparison to make since the one from TAS only got to appear in one episode since they weren't able to aquire him due to the talk of him being in a live-action film that never happened along with Sandman, and even when he did appear on the show they had to change his story to make him the son of the Red Skull. Maybe it's because I like the concept of Electro being a villain with a body made of pure electricity, but I'm actually in favor of Spectacular's design (see, I'm not completely against that show).

Shocker: I "kind of" prefer TAS, but I do like the transparant shades that Spectacular gave him, so I'm not really sure on this one.

Rhino: TAS, since he's more muscular looking.

Vulture: Spectacular's version doesn't do it for me, so I pick the costume from TAS.

Kraven: Another difficult one, but I'll probably just pick the one from TAS. Spectacular's Kraven had an interesting concept of turning into more of an animal, but TAS already had that sort of stuff going with Morbius and the Man-Spider.

Chameleon: TAS. The chin on Spectacular's is too pointy.

Venom: I'm just going to let this comparison speak for itself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if you haven't guessed already, most if not all of my choices are in favor of Spider-Man: TAS. I'll admit that probably has more to do with the drawing quality, since Spectacular does have some nice design concepts that would just look better if they were done in the other show.

#378 ToonEGuy, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  19. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

^I wouldn't solely use character designs just to determine which of the two series are better. But to each their own.

When you compared MJ from TAS with TSSM, I would have chosen the TSSM. Even if TAS MJ has a better design, I just can't overlook those clothes she was wearing. As for TSSM MJ, her voice and overall personality makes her that much better than TAS MJ - IMO. TAS MJ seemed kind of...stale. :shrug:

20. ToonEGuy

ToonEGuy Member

I was replying to a design comparison already made here rather than for the shows as a whole. I just took it as another opportunity to express how I never cared too much for the look of Spectacular Spider-Man.

As for Mary Jane, Spectacular's design isn't too bad, but yes, I prefer TAS because I find that it has better quality to it. Also if clothes are an issue then her clothes could be more like Spectacular's, which I why I've said that that show does have good design aspects that would just look better if they were in TAS.