1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man: The Animated Series" vs "The Spectacular Spider-Man" - Preference?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Miyamoto Musashi, May 14, 2008.

?

Do you prefer "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" or "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

1. I prefer "The Spectacular Spider-Man"

58.2%
  2. I like/love them both

22.0%
  3. "Spider-Man: The Animated Series" wins the challenge for me

19.8%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Lord of the Vindaloovians

Yeah, that is one real difference between Spectacular Norman and 616 Norman: Even at his worst, 616 Norman did love Harry and it was even an occasional point that he hated Peter for taking his son from him (he couldn't admit his role in what happened to Harry). Not getting anything from SSM Norman to Harry, but the SSM Harry is more of a wuss/whiner than most other Harrys (though he is becoming a budding manipulator).

Course, since they brought Harry back Norman has shown that while he has newfound respect for Harry he would be willing to sacrifice him now that he has another kid on the way with Menace. Too bad, since the revived Harry is a more interesting and likable character than he usually had been.

2. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

After Watching Both Shows Fully: Rap Sheet

Spectacular Spider-Man:
    Like the 90s show, this Spider-Man is done weaker when compared to other cartoons Spider-Man, mainly the 80s cartoons and the MTV Spider-Man, his strength in lifting weight is greatly limited, but that is not a problem cause it served both shows well enough.

Designs are simple indeed, but they are neat, and it is a pleasure to look at them. Green Goblin looks like a gremlin, but his design is far superior to the classic design used in the prior shows. Tombstone looks like a shark guy out of The Simpsons, Peter Parker looks somewhat like Wiccan from Young Avngers, and they look great in this show

Characterizations are done fairly best here, especially to Norman Osbourn/Green Goblin & Octavius/Doc Ock, those two were done mostly in a laughable way in the 90s series, at least Ock was fairly well written in the 80s & 60s series, this is the first series to do Green Goblin justice in depicting him, and the "I Never Apologize" aspect in Norman's personality made him even more appreciated, truly the only out of comics great depiction of Norman, or maybe the movie game came very close, so I won't consider it the only good depiction of GG out of comics, but the only well crafted depictopn in a cartoon

Miles Warren, Tombstone, Silvermane and Hammerhead are terrificly written and designed, Miles wasn't turned to the Jackal, but he doesn't act lesser like one. The gang leaders are done as good threat, and even with that Spider-Man was still able to defeat them, much better than what is done with the nearly unbeatable Kingpin in the 90s series

Blackie Gagxton/The Bookie, smart adding of a classic one time villain that caused a big scar in the life of Elizabeth "Betty" Brant, here he had the same thing with another girl and her brother, but without killing the brother

Only weakness in this series is it was cancelled way too early, if they waited for one more season at least and give us a good tie to some loose ends, like Liz & Peter, Gwen & Harry, Brock and the sybiote,..etc, they show would have faired much better. Still, this is a near perfect adaption of the source material
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Spider-Man TAS:
    I won't undermine the good value of this show, it still is great to me, and I do love Spider-Man things more the older I get, it still has plenty of smart writing IMO, and they inserted some good well placed facts here

Problems this show suffered from:
    • Webbing is terribly weak, nearly anyone can cut it
    • All the stock footage, they could have done better and change the background when they use the same moves, much like the 60s cartoon did
    • Repeated change in size of Spider-Man
    • everyone is a wimp that falls under the feet of Kingpin, including Norman Osborn & Doctor Octopus
    • Hobgoblin and Kingpin are Spider-Man's worst enemies (not all that big)
    • Spider-Man was more oftenly than not depicted as a wimp after season 2
    • Spider-Man is a real clever tactician, but the insertion of the ubber annoying Mdamme Webb made him stupid
    • Anna Watson is incredibly annoying and boring, even Sally Avril has plenty of heart and compassion compared to this old harpy, she's only teenage high school look cool, act cool kind of annoying girl
    • The insertion of hot sticks in the ears voice for the Green Goblin, where was Steven Blumm back then?
    • The infamous censorship of the show, no mention of the word blood, no punches, and barely any mention of any word related to death, but they got over that on several occasions
    I grew over hating the Hydro-Clone of MJ, I find it nice

3. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I Know I'm going to get a lot heat for this I'm going to say that Spider-Man:TAS is better then Spectacular Spider-Man, At least TAS opened up Marvel Universe that Spectacular doesn't.

4. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Now to be fair that also happened a bit in SSM. They even referenced that in an episode where after someone snaps Spidey's web he goes "Got to start making that stuff stronger."

5. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

That's hardly a fair comparison, TSSM was legaly barred from using any non Spidey characters.

6. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Is that the only thing you think made TAS better than Spectacular? What about storylines, plotting, interesting characters, character development, character relationships & dynamics, character designs, background designs, animation, action scenes etc.

I think the only thing that TAS had over Spectacular was some of the more detailed designs, but that had a negative impact on the way they were animated. Whereas the simple character designs made for some really cool & intense fights.

7. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Spider-Man TAS continued the universe that was opened by X-Men TAS
    But in SSM it wasn't so weak that even the stronger batch or Spider-Carnage webbing could be cut by Gwen Stacy's bare hands

Speaking of Carnage, I find it amusing that when censorship didn't allow any word related to death to be mentioned, the word genocide was mentioned, kill was said several times, and Carnage was inserted without altering his name to be something child friendly, I mean Carnage? Really?

8. leftblank

leftblank Member

Blaming the censorship in Spiderman: TAS is a poor excuse.

People often blame the censorship for the show being lousy but it's a bad excuse. In Spectacular Spiderman, the censorship really wasn't much better. Very rarely were punches actually used, yet it didn't matter because the cherography and animation were fantastic. The fights were so well put together that it didn't matter if punches were used or not.

In Spiderman: TAS, the censorship wouldn't have been noticeable if John Semper and the writers did a better job. A good writer can work around limitations. Instead, John made the censorship obvious. They weren't allowed to show real guns, yet they constantly showed guns in every episode. So when you see those ridiclous laser guns in every show, it just makes the limitation even more obvious. Same with Moribus. They couldn't even say the word "blood" and yet they did a whole season arc on Moribus. Stuff like this doesn't make sense.

In Spectacular Spiderman, they couldn't show blood or real guns but you didn't even notice it. You could barely ever tell there even WAS restrictions because the writing, animation and fight cherography was so well done, that it covered it all up.

9. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I agree that they could have written around the censorship better in the 90s show( Morbius was the show's biggest gaffe, there's a reason BTAS didn't use vampires like they wanted to ) but SSM censorship were way more lenient than the 90s one. And they used punches a lot more than rarely. They also did a lot of things way more violent than punches as well, seriously Spidey was put through a lot of abuse on the show.

10. GregX

GregX Active Member

And there was a father twisting his son's ankle... while the son was hopped up on drugs.

"Rhino, you won the coin toss. Will you crush his skull or simply impale his heart on your horn?"

Not to mention every other line out of Black Cat's mouth.

11. Robochao

Robochao Member

I'm not clouded by nostalgia but I think that the mood of Spiderman: The Animated Series pounds the salmon out of Spectacular Spider-Man. So awesome it was.

After watching like 12 episodes of Spectacular Spider-Man I think it's okay. Not terrible.

12. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

90s TAS Spider-Man only had one really good season and that was the first season. After that the writing was all over the place in terms of quality, which is too bad considering its cast included the likes of Ed Asner, Mark Hamill, and Jennifer Hale among other talented performers. Chris Barnes had good comic timing as Spidey but as the show's writing deteriorated he started to overact too much. Even without censorship interference ruining the fights and holding back dialogue, some of the things the writers did, like bringing in Madam Webb, making Spidey the leader of the Secret Wars and tossing the characters through other dimensions, were just plain dumb.

Between the two series I have to admit Spectacular had better writing from start to finish, even though the character designs weren't exactly to my liking.

13. leftblank

leftblank Member

Do you think John Semper would have liked Spectacular Spiderman? I'd love to know what he thinks of it.

14. GregX

GregX Active Member

John Semper didn't even like his own show.

Personally, I'd be even more interested in what Stan Lee or Steve Ditko or John Romita think of the show. I know Tom DeFalco called "Spectacular" the best adaption of Spider-Man he had ever seen at a panel at NYCC.

#354 GregX, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  15. leftblank

leftblank Member

Where did you hear that? And why doesn't he like it since he made the whole thing.

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading an interview where he said he didn't like how a lot of the animation came back and really didn't like the editing. But I never got the impression that he didn't like his own show.

17. Webbed-Wonder

Webbed-Wonder Still thwipping!

I believe he said that about a year ago, on these very forums.

18. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Kind of. Saying he didn't like the show is a bit of an oversimplification. Here's the quote:

19. heroman

heroman Member

they killed her because she was to perfect that was the problem i mean she weighed spidey down and really killing gwen was no different than brand new day you basiclly try to restart.

20. nightrider321

nightrider321 Member

Does anyone know when the Complete Second season of Spectacular is coming out?

@Spiderman TAS/Spectacular Spiderman art design comparison
    Electro- Spectacular wins here. Obviously TAS looks more identical to the comics but Spectacular tried out something new and it works. He looks way deadlier here and looks like an actual threat to Spidey

MJ- I'll go with Spectacular one this one since her voice is less annoying on here

Mysterio- I don't really care about him and they both seem the same to me so it's a tie

Venom- TAS's Venom's head is way too disproportioned to the rest of his body. The blue/red highlights look ridiculous as well. Spectacular's Venom's arms are also way too disproportioned compared to the rest of his body. Neither of them are any good

Vulture- Same with Electro. Spectacular's looks different and yet he looks more threatening than in TAS

Shocker- Same with Mysterio. Don't really care about him and both seem the same to me

Lizard- Spectacular's Lizard seems to resemble an actual lizard more than TAS. His eyes and teeth are more defined and therefore, make him look more dangerous

Chameleon and Kraven- I'll go with the TAS designs this time. Spectacular's Chameleon's face looks way too weird and unrealistic. Kraven looks more muscular and ferocious in TAS than in Spectacular

Doc Ock- Both their bodies look outright ridiculous. Spectaculars is too fat and TAS is too muscular + it has a dumb-looking bowlcut. However, Spectacular's arms look much sleeker and dangerous than TAS so Spectacular Ock wins

G.G- If I could change one thing about Spectacular, it would be the art design of the G.G. I know he isn't supposed to be that much of a "serious" villain but this is way too much. First of all, what is with his scrawny arms? In the comics, Osbourne was medium-heavy and they totally screwed him up here. Then there's also the chin which makes him look sillier than even Mysterio. His voice is better than TAS but I would still choose TAS G.G over him

J.J- Looks the same to me

Spiderman- I would go with Spectacular on this one actually. He's actually skinny which is how he is in the comics + he looks dorky which is also how he's like in the comics. TAS is way too muscular and he looks more like a jock than a nerd.