1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man (Reboot)" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

While I can't speak for everyone but I never was really taken with Raimi's Spidey. I liked the first film but couldn't stand 2 and 3 was just plain bad. I had felt Raimi had written the character into a corner and wanted to see a new director and actors (except J.K Simons) since 3 came out.

You can't really blame everything bad on executive medalling. Sure they wouldn't let Spidey mock the Goblin suit because of how much money it cost (seriously) but that doesn't mean he couldn't quip at all. Just like there's no way to blame all terribleness of 3 just because the executive's wanted Venom. Did they force Raimi to do the dance scene? Or the Sandman retcon? The more I think about it the more I think the third film would've been bad even without Venom.

The entire proposal thing with Peter and the break-up showed that they really had no clue what to do with their relationship long term. Hopefully the reboot will not write itself into a corner that sticks Peter with just one girl and no way out if something happens with an actress or unimaginative writers.

2. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

And yet most fans have been praising the second film to high heaven as being better than the first.

3. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Well, you can blame Venom for the dance scene because Peter was under the symbiote's influence at the time. :sweat: I think it might have been Raimi's way of giving the execs the finger by raising the camp factor as much as possible when Peter was under the symbiote's influence, as opposed to the "grittier" elements the executives probably wanted.

The 3rd film would have been a more intriguing mess with Vulture in Venom's place, as Vulture would have been pushing Sandman to do more and more crimes, and making Sandman more and more frustrated. It would have made Sandman's change of heart at the end more logical. It would have made the 3rd film a better film, but not necessarily a good one (maybe an average one).

The third point about MJ I will give you. They made MJ into a composite of Gwen, Debra Whitman, and MJ. This is kinda why I wish they had pushed Black Cat/Felicia Hardy into the franchise to make a plausible alternative to MJ. It would have made more sense than pushing Gwen Stacy into the third movie when there was already a half-Gwen in the franchise (in fact movie Gwen acted a LOT like pre-BC Felicia in aspects). However, it looked like that they were going to screw Felicia up (Vultress? Seriously?) so maybe it's for the best.

I don't mind someone else becoming a hero or villain (like how Montana became Shocker in Spectacular Spider-Man) as long as its done right and is plausible. But Felicia-as-Vultress would have just been something people would have been dreading from before the first trailer. Even if Raimi had some miracle made it good no one would be giving Vultress a fair shot.

4. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

5. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

I think it's a terrific idea, except he's 28. However, if they switch the setting to college, it'd be alright.

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

He looks like Heath Ledger. However,he would be perfect.

7. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Say, what? That guy looks nothing like him. And there's the age thing. I thought they wanted to go back to the high school days. David Henerie I feel would fit the bill more if yah ask me. Plus, this guy is no newbie. I thought they said they wanted newbies for this film.

8. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

And yet most fans have been praising the second film to high heaven as being better than the first.

Yeah, I never got that. Doc Oc wasn't all that great. Even Marvel folks know about Two-Face and that he's great. Oc was TF-afied. Maybe they loved the ending with MJ going to Peter? Maybe the losing the powers thing?

As I said pages and pages ago - none of the Raimi films were perfect. I really wanted to love at least ONE spidey movie, and all of them came close. Such a shame they wasted Venom, danced and got sappy in the 3rd, or it would have been a fav of mine.

9. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

Wow, David Henerie?! The guy looks nothing like a young Peter Parker.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it depends on what your idea of a young Peter looks like.

11. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Yes but my post wasn't about "most fans" but my own opinion.

People liking or hating something has no bearing on my opinion.

12. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Ladies and gentlemen: our new Joker! Wait, this is all about Spider-Man.

13. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Really? Guess its his character on the show that makes me think, Peter Parker. They could change the hair too. Not that big. Plus he's around the right age and isn't really known yet. Course this is my opinion :)

14. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I guess my wish of Josh Keaton playing Peter will never come true. Besides, he doesn't look like Peter.

15. DisneyBoy

Isn't Peter supposed to be a redhead?

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he's usually got a light to dark brown hair color. In the comics MJ and the Osbournes have red hair, although Harry and Norman have that weird black and red thing going on.

17. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Peter Parker's always been a brunette no matter what. Mary Jane is the redhead, and the Osborns . . . depends on the universe (Raimi had them as brunettes, the cartoons and comics red for the most part).

18. DisneyBoy

Oh, I thought the old cartoon had him with red hair. Guess I misremembered.

19. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

I've heard rumors circulating that Robert Pattinson is being considered to play Peter.

I have a feeling Zac Efron might take the role.. and in that case, a lot of people would gripe about how Disney ruined Spiderman. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.