1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man (Reboot)" Pre-Release Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

The Ultimate Spider-man comic had a nice explanation: that the material used to create the webbing was something his father cooked up before he died and Peter just perfected it.

Ultimate spider-man also had a nice origin for Venom as well.

2. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Realism is subjective in these things. How does he stick to walls? How does his body start producing webs? How can a homemade costume look that good? Realistically none of those things can happen yet they do in the Spider-man movies.

Also how do the webs come out of the costume? If it's just coming out of his wrist then a little hole cut into the suit wouldn't work because the material would shift whenever he moved. It doesn't make any logical or realistic sense as to how he could keep his webs firing out of his suit in every film.

Now with webshooters there's a little nozzle that would obviously fit into a tiny hole in the wrist of the suit and lock into place. That sounds a lot more realistic to me than this magic costume from the movies.

Lets face it neither of them are realistic or logical and both have their flaws. But it's a superhero movie so you can have scenes where the main character can build, say, a handheld clean energy reactor in a cave with a box of scraps and the audience will buy it. ;)

3. ryandcow

ryandcow Active Member

The inly one that makes sense os the black suit (which makes no sense on its own) because it has its own version of the webs.

4. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

It's not realism: it just makes more sense.

5. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

From Spider-Man 1-3, I can't believe I didn't think about that. How does he shoot webs from his costume? In the movie of course we already know in the comics and the animated series. As for the how does the web come out of the web-shooter question, think about it, his body produces webbing and it comes out of the webshooter.

#465 ToonFaithful, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  6. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I never even questioned it until a few months ago when me and a friend were watching the 90s cartoon and he asked that very question.

Personally I don't mind either of them. Organics is easy to fit into a story without going into the specifics about how he did it and save some time. Mechanical webs show off Peter's scientific side and that side was sorely lacking in the Raimi movies.

I could take either so long as we see Peter use his brains to defeat foes as much as his fists.

7. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

I think comicbook fans who worry about realism and whether a mainstream audiences will accept something are worrying a little too much. The general public aren't stupid, they know it's a superhero movie, they know there's no way in the real world that getting bit by a spider is going to give you super powers, be it radioactive or genetically engineered.

But they are willing to pretend that there's a world where that can happen. Just like they're willing to pretend that there's a world where the forces of good and evil battle over the fate of a magic ring or one where undead pirates sail the seven seas. The key is to make that world feel like a real and compelling place in itself.

In the last year alone we've seen successful mainstream movies featuring teenage wizards, ten foot alien smurfy-cats and oh yes, giant shape shifting robots from outer freaking space! I think the general public can handle mechanical webshooters.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Plus, it could help create tension if Spidey suddenly runs out of web fluid at a very inopportune moment, forcing him to get creative in finding other ways of doing something.

9. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocks™

That did happen in Spider-Man 2 perhaps he should've did it then?

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember that happening in Spider-Man 2, but I didn't care for the explanation behind him losing his powers. Something about his forgetting what it means to be a hero or something? I don't know. Obviously, it made so little sense to me that I can't even remember clearly what it was exactly. That was one of the things I didn't care about in that movie.

11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was due to all the stress that he lost his powers.

12. underdog

underdog Member

Yeah, it seemed like he had WD: Webbing Dysfunction.

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Yes, it was the stress of being Peter Parker AND Spider-Man. It's one of the classic Spider-Man stories and an example of why people connect with the character.

14. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

This is a repost from elsewhere but it still applies to this thread as I'm quite angry that there's people dissing Raimi's take on Spidey all of a sudden. The first two movies were quite good, the second one was even masterful. The third one was run over by executive meddling, as well as a complete loss of touch with what Spidey is about.

I will admit that Spider-Man didn't have much of a sense of fun in Raimi's version, though. The one-liners are completely absent, though that may be because of executive order, as infamously shown by Brian Bendis (of Ultimate Spider-Man) when he attempted to write some dialogue for the film. By putting Spidey in high school instead of college, though, and having someone more in touch with teenagers (Marc Webb, who BTW has the PERFECT name for this) than Raimi, Spidey might be more fun to watch (and listen to), even though the studio's intention is to make Spidey a bit more gritty and down-to-earth (the latter I have no problems with). I just hope J.J.J doesn't get screwed up in the process, he was the one thing consistently fun with Raimi's films, and I don't want him recast for the time being either.

But that does not stop the first film from being good and the second by being a classic on the level of the original Superman and Dark Knight. Spidey 2 has some of the best fights I've ever seen, and Ock was very well-utilized from start to finish, first as a father figure/mentor and then as an archenemy. I don't think anyone could do Ock as well as Raimi and company did, and its a shame that Alfred Molina hasn't found consistent work since that movie.

I will admit that I was dissatisfied by Danny Elfman's score for the first two films, though. Elfman's best when he's doing something gothic, as shown by his scores for many, many Tim Burton films. His bombastic, dark methods of scoring just don't fit Spider-Man. Christopher Young's attempts to imitate Elfman were absolutely pathetic in the third film as well. They better get a guy who is versatile and can compose both serious and more comical moments like Michael Giacchino, or perhaps go overseas to England/Europe or even Japan, those places are full of composers who could potentially "get" Spidey.

This is not coming from someone who has low expectations for the upcoming reboot. I think Webb will do a good job if the studio doesn't eat him alive. Raimi did good stuff when the studio was more hands-off. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes with Spidey 3 and let Webb do his own thing. If they interfere too much with Webb's take (especially with downgrading Spidey's humor AGAIN), this will be another trainwreck. And no one will be happy with that.

That being said, I hope Webb uses licensed songs better than Raimi did (not too hard considering Raimi basically ignored them in favor of old 1950's stuff). I got real sick after buying the third soundtrack and hearing none of the tunes show up besides some ancient Chubby Checker tune from when my parents were little kids.

15. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

The latest rumors: David Henrie (from Wizards of Waverly Place) is in the running for Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Clive Owen for Kraven the Hunter.

I don't like either choices. I always thought Bruce Campbell would have been a great Kraven and was a reason why I wanted Raimi to stick around for a while. And...Henrie...yeah I just don't see that.

16. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Owen could do Kraven provided he put one some muscle, I could actually see that. Henrie, though . . . no. I'd prefer an unknown.

I also would like to mention that the old universe may not be done yet. There is supposedly a Venom movie in the works and it might (MIGHT) tie into Raimi's series. Considering what happened to Spider-Man 4 they might alter Venom into a backdoor way to wrap up Raimi's universe.

17. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

He's an unknown to anyone who doesn't watch the Disney Channel.

18. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

I don't know, David Henerie is a geek in the show he's on and he's also around the same age Peter Parker was in the first film. He does kind of look like Tobey to me too. Gees I wish they'd cast Spider-Man already, all these rumors is getting annoying :shrug:

19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

One thing I liked about the first film was how Peter began to grow more confident and was starting to move away from just being a nerdy pushover. Then by the time the second one came along, he seemed to be regressing. I wonder how things will go this time around. I kinda hope they don't play up the nerd factor post-spider bite this time.

20. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

Marc Webb to direct it, huh? That guy has gone a long way from directing music videos to being in a critically acclaimed film to directing a big-budgeted movie. Good for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.