1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man "One More Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

4.0%
  4. ***1/2

4.0%
  5. ***

4.0%
  6. **1/2

4.0%
  7. **

12.0%
  8. *1/2

4.0%
  9. *

12.0%
  10. 1/2

56.0%
  1. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

According to Steve Wacker over in an interview at Newsarama, Spider-Man is still a member of the New Avengers, here's the part specifically on that:

2. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

It's cool - when a story is this bad, poorly contrived and completely out of character it's perfectly acceptable to mock it as much as possible. Next, Marvel brings Captain America back from the dead and makes him an agent of new Russian agression. Look out world - Captain Communism is on the march.....

-Joe!

(Hmmm......Maybe I should trademark that name before Marvel gets any ideas.....)

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I love issues before McFarlane's style the most

4. danreyes1

danreyes1 Active Member

I'm a bit late to the party, but here's what I think. I gave up on the Marvel universe almost entirely after Civil War. Spider-Man was the only title I still read. That is no more. Marvel is dead to me.

5. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I read now days spiderman comics before the civil war (excluding the Osbourne/Stacy twin kids), I'll ignore him entering the avengers because to me; Spiderman is still as Reed Richard called him in his ever first annual:
    "A lone wolf"

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I've decided to finally get around to posting my thoughts on the ending of "One More Day"...

In a nutshell: The script was touching, and was filled with several tender moments...but all the good was undone by the contrived plot twists.

Let's be fair here: Quesada was right, JMS's idea for ending "One More Day" was a bad idea. Going back in time and changing Marvel history DOES erase 30 years worth of stories, and I don't know about you, but I don't want my comic book collection rendered null and void just because JMS doesn't give a damn about continuity.

The problem is, Quesada's idea isn't much better.

What Quesada's basically done is applied the Sentry's "deus ex machina" continuity solving problem to Spider-man, (in the Sentry's comic book, we learned that he was a former Marvel hero whom everyone in the Marvel Universe forgot about due to a mindwipe of massive proportions). Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Spider-Man. The Sentry was a new creation, inserted into the back history of the Marvel Universe. Spider-man's a character who's been front and center for the Marvel Universe, you can't just ignore the last 20 years of comics and pretend they didn't happen.

As has already been pointed out by JMS, not only does Mephisto erase people's memories, but he's erasing video footage of Spidey unmasking, he's erasing the scar from Aunt May getting shot, he's rebuilding Aunt May's house, he's bringing Harry back from the dead...this isn't erasing memories, this is altering reality!!!

So why go to such crazy lengths to end the marriage when a divorce would've been more coherent?

Let's be clear here: Joe Quesada's concern was in national news headlines, (much like when Superman "died"). Corporate Marvel didn't want Spider-Man's marriage to end up as a punchline on the Tonight Show. "Divorce" is something the mainstream press would've picked up on and mocked with open derision. Quesada, loyal company man that he is, wasn't about to let Marvel be dissed. Plus, there's the fear of parents who've never read a comic book in their life who would've heard about this from the mainstream media and who would've not let their kids have a Spider-Man action figure, ("he's a bad role model").

So yeah, a deal with the devil and a continuity mindwipe is much more easy to push: the mainstream audience doesn't understand it, so therefore the media doesn't bother to report it.

Such is the way of things, I understand it. I've advocated for characters to grow old and mature before now, and I'll do so again.

But on the other hand, I also grow tired of those who say "I'll never buy a Marvel comic again!" and don't like it when others who hated the story don't drop the comic as well. I'm on board for "Brand New Day" and I have plenty of problems with "One More Day". Should I let my problems with "One More Day" keep me from enjoying "Brand New Day"?!? Maybe that makes me a Marvel Zombie, willing to buy whatever Marvel shells out. Or maybe I'm one of the "true" fans who cares enough about the characters to see if the writers of the next story can redeem the faults of the last, crappy story.

I have a friend who was a big X-Men fan who stopped buying Marvel comics in the mid 90's. He claims that everything after X-Force #1 came out, (the beginning of the Liefeld era) was a travesty of justice, and no one could return things to the glory of the Claremont X-Men 80's!! In my opinion, he's simply robbed himself of good stories. Yes, there's been crap, but if you stick around long enough, the plot will change again, and you might find something enjoyable in the next storyarc. To swear that you will never buy another Marvel comic just because you hated a current storyline is somewhat short-sighted, in my opinion.