1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man "One More Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

4.0%
  4. ***1/2

4.0%
  5. ***

4.0%
  6. **1/2

4.0%
  7. **

12.0%
  8. *1/2

4.0%
  9. *

12.0%
  10. 1/2

56.0%
  1. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

I dunno, he's been a dab hand at drawing allsorts, from Transfromers:Animated (god, I wish they went with the heros name, it was a lot more better) to batman.

2. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

The only good thing for me is that Spiderman wouldn't be dead, and no other.
    Be pleased Scorpion fans because no symbiote means the McGargan will be the only loveable Scorpion from now on. And forget Marvel Secret Wars and the alien costume and the clone saga. Judas Traveller was never made the criminal from the clone saga

3. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Eh? Where are you getting this information from? Retconning the "Secret Wars" away would make no sense and retconning the symbiote out of existence wouldn't either... it would be almost as much a travesty as what they've done to the marriage! And it's totally unnecessary as well.
    Also, if the Clone Saga was to be retconned, Judas Traveller wouldn't even exist, as he didn't appear outside of the Clone Saga, not before and not after. So not only would he not be a criminal, he wouldn't exist :p

4. Miyamoto Musashi

(Spiderman's secret identity is a secret from all, no one know's it.) That's what is the new issue of one of Spiderman's title, this definitely means at least there is no symbiote to bond with Eddie Brock.
    I think my information's are quite messy, please forgive me

5. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Not even Peter? Sheesh, poor guy. All those blank spots in his memory. And what's this fruity costume doing in his laundry?

:p ;)

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Okay, I'll take a stab at what I think he's saying: If the new status quo is that no one knows that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, then that means that Eddie Brock shouldn't know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man either. And the only way that makes sense is if the Venom symbiote never merged with Eddie Brock. Thus, if there's no Venom symbiote, then "Secret Wars" never happened. Heh, makes about as much sense as anything else... :p

7. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Aha! I understand ;)

But I would be really surprised if they went THAT far in retconning things... I have a feeling they're going to settle for the "people know that they knew his secret ID at one point but just can't seem to remember anymore" bit, seeing as it's been stated that everyone remembers Spidey unmasking, but can't remember who was under the mask.
    In the case of the Venom symbiote, it might have a fuzzy memory of its former host's identity as well all of the sudden.

8. Miyamoto Musashi

At least only spiderman didn't go to the ship that took him to Beyonders planet in Amazing#251, and he stayed home like cat and vision.

9. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

So lemme get this stright. According to the Wiki, the unmasking happned but for all intents the world became blind from the moment Peter unmasked to the moment the mask went back on?

You know what?

Come back, Autobots, your needed to strike a blow right through this BS of the grandest order.

10. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

I don't think anything has actually been changed, only people's memories of it. All these people did know Spider-Man's identity, but Mephisto made them all forget. After all, if Tony never knew his identity, than the Civil War unmasking wouldn't have happened.

Undoing the marriage wasn't actually nesscessary to save Aunt May from the sniper or to give Pete his secret identity back. It was Mephisto's price to make both Peter and God suffer (because Peter needs a wife and loving marriages are pleasing to God). The unmasking and everything else DID happen, but before Mephisto's mind wipe.

But won't Peter remember the Civil War and the unmasking? Thus remember his friendship with Iron Man? **winces** There are SO many plot gaps in this story. I can't imagine that Peter (and a lot of other people) won't start to question it and realize that they are living in a false reality.

I wonder if this "brand new day" is actually set in the real Marvel 616 or a splinter universe.

11. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

We don't know how far-reaching this "no one knows who Peter Parker" is because there must be some fine print in here somewhere. I'm not sure how it will all turn out but it's going to be interesting when they establish the new continuity with characers like Venom. Alot more characters are affected by this. Much more than Joe Q. thinks, and the ending to One More Day is just the tip of it. There's so many plot gaps that "It's Magic. We don't have to explain it" just doesn't fix.

12. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

It's funny, but I've been reading a lot of the history of the Clone Saga lately and Peter was presented with a similar situation back in Amazing Spider-Man #402. During this time, Traveller, told Peter that he had captured Aunt May's soul and that Peter could free her soul or even bring her back to life if Peter selected 100, 10 or even one person to die in her place. At this time, Peter rejected the offer. With OMD, we saw Peter willingly make a devil with the devil.

I think Brand New Day should also include some of the people that no longer exist as a result of One More Day. If Harry can come back from the grave, who's to say that someone didn't meet an untimely end as the direct result of the decision made. Maybe Peter wasn't where he should have been as a result of being single and someone dies as a result. I wonder if Marvel will even touch on these possibilities....

-Joe!

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Kraven perhaps? He's like Spidey's biggest baddie who has stayed dead outside Eddie Brock (who may or may not be dead).

14. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

The Nerd has shown me the light. I'm treeting the entire Marvel time line like I treat the Zelda timeline from now own.

It's a shame that most Marvel stuff isn't that hot enough to stick like Zelda stuff but it's just about the only way I won't go insane.

15. Miyamoto Musashi

This sentence shouldn't have been made, just Peter suffering is alright, but the rest is wrong

16. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I just don't understand how Peter fits into New Avengers, now. That team now only exists as a seperate entity because they were anti-registration. If Peter doesn't remember unmasking or his relationship with Stark, what does he remember about Civil War or why he stayed with the New Avengers? Does he remember being anti-registration from the start? Were events changed so that he was? If not, wouldn't it be awkward if Peter thinks he was at Cap's hideouts the whole time and other people don't remember that and there is evidence he wasn't. How does Civil War even work without the galvanizing effect of a major hero unmasking?

Spidey-mon, whether you like it or not, I think what Wolf Boy said was the point of the story. I'm not the best source because I read it in a Borders, but I think I remember Mephisto saying something to that effect, even.

I thought Spider-Man was supposed to be smart, by the way, and maybe reasonably well read. But when the devil shows up and offers him a deal, he doesn't even seem to seriously consider that there's probably a nasty twist coming. That's only happened every single time Mephisto has done this in the history of the world and in most fictional account of deals with the devil.

17. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"It's magic. We don't have to explain it."

:evil:

And let's be perfectly clear that all of this stuff, starting with "House of M" and running all the way to now, was all planned out FAR FAR in advance to make sure that it all tied together into one massive, multi-year narrative of epic scope and heartbreaking genius.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

(And before anybody asks, no I am not serious about the latter part. If anything, I think when people start asking questions it reveals exactly how poorly thought out DC and Marvel's much-vaunted crossover events really are, and how many of them grew way bigger than anybody expected them to initially.)

And I should REALLY REALLY stop giving in to the temptation to make fun of something I've only heard about secondhand. The devil makes me do it :evil:.

-- Ed

18. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

By apprently pulling a demonic version of the Laughing man incident. Everyone that saw it knows it happened but they can't see the face.

19. Miyamoto Musashi

Simply Pete is out of the new Avengers
    Unless of course he still show face regularly there

20. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Even if they kick him out after the current story arc, this post-Civil War story arc still happened and the Avengers should remember it. It doesn't make sense.