1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man "One More Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

4.0%
  4. ***1/2

4.0%
  5. ***

4.0%
  6. **1/2

4.0%
  7. **

12.0%
  8. *1/2

4.0%
  9. *

12.0%
  10. 1/2

56.0%
  1. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Coming soon from Marvel Comics: 'Brand New Life!' What happens when Peter Park looses just not his memory of the past fifteen years, but also has his age reduced by fifteen years?! It's all in 'Brand New Life' written, drawn, and edited by Joe Quesada!

#201 KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

I guess I liked the unmasking a lot because I hate secret identies. It seemed to me that the whole message of War at Home/Brand New Day was "be a coward and hide your face." I get the whole "if my enemies knew they'd hurt my family" thing ... and I still think it's crap.

I am an Iron Man supporter and I favor registration. Peter would've been better off (IMO) standing with Tony. If Peter had never switched sides, Aunt May wouldn't have been shot. By being a "hero" (aka Vigilante) Peter was breaking the law. Sure, I'd love to go out and stop crimes also. But that's not the way a civilized society works. Tony could've given May and MJ new identities or extreme security.

IMO, Peter changing sides in the "Civil War" was idiotic. HOWEVER, I can easily live with characters making idiotic choices. But throwing in a Deus Ex Machina reboot to erase 20 years of continuity is editorial stupidity. I can't stand the fact that my Civil War and War at Home trades are now non-canon. They could've at least given us an "ending" before the reboot. Back in Black was a pointless arc. It all makes me sick.

3. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Sounds fun. Just like the thought of Peter being a curmudgeon of an Avenger with little chance of growing out of it.

#203 Captain Highwind, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Joe Q turned him into the average comic book fan :sweat:

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

There was no way I was going to encourage this mess with my money, but I read the last issue of One More Day in a Borders and I think I'm done with the main Spider-Man titles for a while. Everything about this comic was just illogical and ugly, from the terrible art to the fact that Spider-Man, the most upstanding guy in the Marvel Universe, is making a freaking deal with the devil. With the devil! He's rewriting history, erasing at least two people all together (Normie Osborn and his future daughter), to save his 80-year-old aunt. There's some talk about how he can't let her die because it would be his fault, but she knew the risks when he revealed his secret identity and gave her blessing. And it's just lovely how the writers manage to spin it so the final decision is put on Mary Jane so Peter doesn't seem like the cowardly wimp he would have seemed otherwise.

The end result, by the way, makes Peter a loser who still lives with his Aunt and apparently dated superhot, love of his life supermodel Mary Jane for five or so years without any serious comittment or the guts to seal the deal. How is that better?

6. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

im trying to figure out where we are in the "timeline" in brand new day. when did mary jane find out peter was spider-man? in the free comic book day amazing spider-man peter and mj aren't talking to each other but when they are spider-man and jackpot they seem like they're totally oblivious to each other's secret identity.

i thought i would be as angry as everyone else here, but im kind of excited for the new weekly title. honestly, i won't be surprised if peter and mj will get married again in this new altered timeline. maybe when they get married again it will disrupt the space time continuum and every thing will be back to normal before civil war and before "one more day".

7. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

I read it in Borders also. I didn't buy it. That's right, I read a comic and didn't buy it. I'm gangsta, yo.:evil:

Word.

8. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I might say I agree with you 100%, but I'm with the secret identity thing more than with the publicly known face.
    SpiderMan seriously should have sticked with Stark to avoid such unnecessary story and back in time.

9. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Would it have been so hard to have Stark give him a new identity? I guess Marvel didn't want to go there; wanted to keep the "Peter Parker" name in the comics for nostalgia and simplicity's sake. The thing is, the FF have always been public and Iron Man is still public. I find it a little stupid that it works just dandy for them but is a catastrophe for Spider-Man.

Even if Spidey is still an Avenger, every relationship he had in the Avengers is now erased, since none of them have ever known his identity. His entire role in "Civil War" never happened. Aunt May and Jarvis never happened either. Actually, I doubt very seriously that he even is an Avenger, since Iron Man doesn't know his identity, I doubt they ever had the father/son relationship they had in the pre-Brand New Day comics.

In all honestly, I would've preferred to get JMS's version where continuity was reset starting with a specific issue in 1971. That way, when reading older material, we would know exactly where "canon" ended and began. As it stands, continuity is EXTREMELY murkey and unclear. Quesada argued that resetting continuity from 1971 onward would have too many ramifications on the Marvel Universe as a whole, but so does making his identity completely secret again. The changes are so confusing! I just hope to God the other titles ignore this crap and avoid crossovers with the "new" Spidey. Because the Civil War still happened, and removing Spider-Man would muddle things too much.

Like most sales stunts, I figure this will eventually be retconned away. There are too many clues, like the fact that Aunt May was willing to die, the daughter of Peter and MJ and the fact that both will slightly remember their marriage (MJ might even remember it completely) indicate that this story can be completely undone if need be. Sad, isn't it, when they begin retconning the retcons?

I am looking forward to the inevitable Elsewords story that will show us an alternate world in which Peter and MJ did not make the deal with Mephisto, and offer some resolution to Tony and Peter's lingering story arc from Civil War. If it doesn't suck, I will most likely accept that story into my mental canon. Granted, the story hasn't even been proposed or written yet, but we all know it will happen at some point (just like that recent story that showed Cap and Iron Man as being on opposite sides of the War from their 616 counterparts).

10. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

I've gotta agree with this 110%. I always thought it was odd that Peter was so quick to move against Tony after everything the two had been through. I'm not sure MJ would have been able to effectively have a new identity due to her popularity as an actress/model but I would have loved to have seen some further storylines with Peter serving as Tony's right-hand man. However, that's neither here nor there.

During the fourth interview Joey Q. gave he tried to make the example that if the devil came to Spider-Man and said he would kill a citizen on the street if Spider-Man didn't give up his marriage, that the comic audience would look at Spider-Man differently if he allowed Mephisto to kill the person in question. However, the question should have been asked - when did Spider-Man get to play God with every citizen in the Marvel U? Will this be a continuing element, where everytime he isn't able to save someone, he makes a deal with Loki or Mephisto or another entity so he doesn't feel guilty. The thing that made Spidey special was he was just a man who was granted with special powers, made the wrong decision, and has been attempting to live up to the responsibility his power has brought with it. By no means did he or should he have the right to play God with the decisions and lives of others. He isn't Superman. He can't be everyone at once and he shouldn't feel guilty for things he can't control.

Joey Q. used the example of Mephisto might give the citizen cancer. Unfortunately, cancer kills thousands of people every year. Should Spidey now feel personally responsible? What about the fire on the other side of NYC that he wasn't able to reach in time - is that now his fault? Or the mugging in Central Park. Should JJJ now run stories about how he wasn't there to protect the victim? The logic in use by the EIC is completely without merit - but it allowed him to have Peter make a deal with the devil and erase one of the pivotal moments in Spider-Man history, so apparently, it's completely acceptable.

On the plus side, I think dropping Spider-Man will allow me to pick up Blue Beetle on a monthly basis. As a long time Spider-Man fan, I would recommend the title to anyone not reading it. It really does a nice job with the power and responsibility themes while adding some great dialogue.

-Joe!

11. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Civil War was a mess. They promised a balanced view but then went and made Cap's more left leaning side look heroic and Tony's more right leaning side look like monsters. I sided with Cap's team but even I could see they didn't even give Tony's a chance. They were up to so many wrong things that it would have been impossible to have 'everyman' Peter honestly side with them knowing about all of it.

In general, comics need to dump these constant giant crossovers and 'Internet shattering' events. They're usually just cheap gimmicks which are poorly plotted and retconned within a year. Go away and come up with some credible, interesting stories. Not more lame crap because a higher up has a bee in his bonnet.

12. Russkafin

Russkafin Bringer of Darkness

This is probably giving them WAY too much credit, but something just occurred to me... what if that was their plan all along?

Remember when DC replaced Bruce Wayne with Azrael? They never intended it to be permanant... Denny O'Neal was quoted as saying afterwards "We were relieved when the hate mail started pouring in."

Joe Quesada said many writers and fans have always had mixed feeling about the Peter/MJ marriage, and that this storyline would resolve things once and for all. But what if it's not the way we think? It *does* seem like they built in ways to undo "One More Day." Maybe that is their intention all along... maybe when all is said and done, OMD/BND is supposed to prove that the marriage IS a good thing, and that the fans do want it, much like Knightfall was supposed to prove that Bruce Wayne is the one and only Batman?

.....Wishful thinking?

13. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

We can only hope you are right on this.

14. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

I'd love for you to be right, Russkafin. But, for that to be true, it would mean that the writers & editors are lying to us in their interviews. They haven't outright said this is permanent, but their justifications for it all strongly imply it. If it's true that they believe more stories can be told with a single Peter, then they wouldn't make it temporary. If they don't like the marriage, then why dissolve it just to prove how important it was.

Plus, would that mean the Civil War unmasking is back? I really them saying (though this may have just been speculation) that the unmasking was only done because OMD/BND would undo it. Were they lying about that too, or would the undoing of OMD/BND conveniently put everything back in place except that. Again, I'd love for your prediction to be true, Russkafin, but I just don't think that's where this story was intended to go.

Of course, if sales drop, it might not matter where the story was intended to go...

15. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Sales are what it's all about. They will make whatever sells, so if anyone dislikes it than they should vote with their dollar and not buy it.

To me, everything I've seen of Brand New Day is like an "It's a Wonderful Life" senario proving just how good the previous continuity was. Jobless bum Peter is an absolute nightmare -- like a bad dream to show just how good off married Peter was.

16. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

17. masteroftheeast

How long will the delay between issues be?

18. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

Look for a July launch, with delivery just in time for Christmas 2009.

-Joe!

19. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

20. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Heh, that last link really is funny :) Do you think those first few panels are traced [as they do seem familiar, as a regular reader of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane]? If not, the artist did a good job of replicating Miyazawa's art!