1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man "One More Day" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Rate and Comment on This Storyline!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

4.0%
  4. ***1/2

4.0%
  5. ***

4.0%
  6. **1/2

4.0%
  7. **

12.0%
  8. *1/2

4.0%
  9. *

12.0%
  10. 1/2

56.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The controversial storyline, which crosses through The Amazing Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, and The Sensational Spider-Man, has begun!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #544

[​IMG]

WRITER: J. Michael Straczynski
    PENCILS: Joe Quesada

THE STORY: "One More Day," Part 1 of 4. Get ready for what will be the most talked–about and controversial comic event of the year -- brought to you by J. Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada. The stakes have never been higher for Peter Parker. At his darkest hours -- and he's had plenty -- Peter has always had one shoulder to lean on, one person who'd remind him who he is, who he was, and who he can be. Now he's about to lose that person. What would he do...what would you do, if you only had "One More Day?”

Comments?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Which person? And how is this controversial? Except for giving Spider-Man even more reasons to be emo?

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Aunt May

What's going to be controversial is how they "fix" Spider-Man's universe by the end of this storyline. The "Powers that Be" at Marvel have hinted that they're going to somehow break up Spider-Man and MJ.

Well, supposedly after this storyline, he won't be "emo" anymore...

Anyway, I just read this issue, and it was allright. I don't understand why Peter suddenly switched back to this "Red and Blue" costume...I thought he was all set on showing the world that he's now "take no prisoners!!" with the Black costume? Bah! It was such an arbitrary way to bring back the Black Costume in the first place....

And if Jarvis loved Aunt May so much, why did he stick around with Tony? Talk about plotlines that never were really developed to their full potential...:sad:

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh....the black costume...everything was done terribly with that thing. It had a good set up, however there wasn't any real reason for him to wear it. Too many issues that I read could've been done as regular red and blue clad Spidey. And I thought that the movie's version of the costume was lame, but it was a crime to see the black costume look so bland and uninteresting in a comic medium. I was very underwhelmed by it all.

As for how this won't make Spider Man comics even more depressing..well I have an idea on how to pull that off. It'll be interesting to see if Marvel does something like that, or they just make another depressing comic, we'll see.

5. Jordo

Jordo Member

I don't invest much in Spider-Man, but I have a question -- I have the issue from the 90s where Aunt May dies (she's on her death bed and she tells Peter she's always known he was Spider-Man, etc)...How did she become alive again?

-Jordan

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_May#Fictional_character_biography

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/aunt_may.html

7. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

Okay, try not to think about this too much:
    The "Aunt May" you speak of, was actually an actress hired by Norman Osborn and made to look like Peter's Aunt May, and whom Norman told Spider-Man's secret identity to. IIRC he also injected her with stuff which could kill her. A few years later, just before the relaunch in the Fall of '99, Peter was told that May was still alive and where to find her. Thinking that May was his supposedly still-born baby daughter, he set out to retrieve her, only to find out that it was Aunt May that was meant, who had been kept somewhere by Norman Osborn all this time.

Doesn't that sound pretty lame? :) It was pretty exciting at the time, but in retrospect, it's just lame and makes no sense whatsoever [especially all that actress stuff] :p
    It does remind me though, that relaunch in 1999 was also meant to make the Spider-Man books more "Spider-Man" again, which also involved "killing" MJ just over a year into them. In my opinion, the first few years of this relaunch was the worst Spider-Man era I can think of at the moment [at least the Clone Saga was riveting in its time!]. I hope this new "relaunch" of the Spideyverse after One More Day fares better than the previous one.

To finish up my little synopsis above:
    After Aunt May "returned from the dead", she did absolutely nothing in the books [they relaunched her back to her '60s behaviour] except get a new hairdo, until JMS came onto AMZ and wrote a pretty cool storyline which involved Aunt May finding out that Peter was Spider-Man after he barely survived a battle with the villain Morlun [spider totem pole stuff, I'm not going to get into that in this post as well :p] and collapsed onto his bed wearing his - all torn up - costume. After that they talked a bit and she came to accept it and became a huge Spidey fan, spamming the Daily Bugle with hate mail ;)

Soooooooooooooo, I haven't read this issue yet, but I will within a few days :)

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Really, it might be better if you just pretend to yourself that the issue you own was a super secret "What If?" story and just go on from there, especially after trying to read the "real" explanation ;).

-- Ed

9. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

For such a hyped story line this first issue was just O.K. How many times have we seen Aunt May die or be in a lot of danger, yet that's what this hyped story seems to be about on the surface, Peter trying to save May. I mean, we had the Tony/Peter confrontation that's been building for months which could have been a fun brawl, but maybe it was felt that Tony already got his at the hands of the Hulk and Thor. Anyways, Jarvis to the rescue with a deposit into his account via Tony.

Ever since Peter obtained the organic webshooters, (and I read the three books) we haven't really seen him shoot the webs from his arm. It's like maybe the artists didn't want to aknowledge that he has them. But they finally tackle it in this issue with the "explosion" of webs binding Tony completely and then in that little back-up at the end, giving us a detailed diagram of his new organic shooters. Just saying, it's the first really the organic web shooters have been addressed in this manner.

When this thing was announced as being a crossover between the three books, I was under the impression we would get this 4 part story told in 5 or maybe 6 weeks tops. Wrong!

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24
    "One More Day" part 2- October 10th

Sensational Spider-Man #41
    "One More Day" part 3- October 31st

Amazing Spider-Man #545
    "One More Day" part 4- November 28th(!)

Was it always planned to stretch this far, or did Quesada get himself in over his head and shipping had to be delayed as far as it seems here?

The Clown Prince

#9 The Clown Prince, Sep 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2007
  10. wonderfly

The latter. Originally, this entire storyline was to ship in August, I think. And yeah, it's because Quesada himself can be a slow artist at times, but I think Marvel is also using it as a way of getting more "Spider-Man 3x a month!" storylines in the can before that starts up in November, (or is it December?)

11. Jordo

Jordo Member

Wow. That's...stupid. So the touching issue I read of Aunt May dying is just a pile-a-crap. Was this a retcon or was the whole actess thing planned all along? I'm gonna guess the former...Man I'm glad I didn't stick with Spider-Man...

-Jordan

12. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

so, is it looking like this arc will be more "controversial" than sins past?

13. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

This may be the first Spider-Man arc I'll be purchasing in quite a while, but I'm not expecting anything.

No way they can fix everything they've done in just one arc, unless dimension-hopping is involved.

14. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

I hope the Spider-Marriage retcon rumor is just that, and all the "end of an era" stuff is just a big bluff on Marvel's part. If they really think that Mary Jane is the reason for the book's slow decline then it's just further proof that they don't understand their product or fanbase at all. The marriage isn't the problem; the fact that they greenlight terrible stories like "Sins Past," "The Other," and whatever the heck (Freudian slip alert: at first I spelled "hack") the Spider Totem thing was.

15. Xurk

Xurk Active Member

You guess correctly, it was a classic case of a retcon. A shame really, seeing as how great AMZ #400 was and the way Aunt May was used for the first few years after her "resurrection", but thankfully, it got better after that.

16. wonderfly

Exactly: At least they've started to use Aunt May intelligently the last few years, (the one big reason to applaud JMS's run on Spider-Man).

I'd like for them to go ahead and kill Aunt May off at the end of this storyline, (because surely they wouldn't have the guts to bring her back AGAIN), but I think Peter's going to get his wish, and have her be "saved"...

17. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

They haven't actually said who will die at the end of the story only that "Someone close to Peter will die". Aunt May's just the only one in mortal danger at the moment.

Personally I hope she dies at the end. I've got nothing against her but she's lived a good life and when JMS leaves after this Aunt May will probably go back into being a background character if she survives.

Quesada is the only one who wants the Spider-Marriage to end because he "feels it ages the character" So he plans to change that. I think the fact that Spidey has been around since the 60s and AMZ is currently up to #544 ages him.

If people want to read an age-less, marriage-less, Spidey then they can read Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, Mary Jane Loves Spider-Man, and Ultimate Spider-Man. There's no need to do it in the main title.

18. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I still think they'll have a cop-out and kill someone who hasn't really been used in any role in years, like robbie or Betty Brant or someone.

Also, either Loki or Doctor Strange still owes Spidey a favor I think, so I could see him wishing it so that no one ever knew his secret identity, thus meaning he never married MJ, since she didn't trust him, and Aunt May never got shot; and so Spidey has all the bad elements retconned out of his life, and you're left with a 30-something year old virgin Peter Parker (all comic book fans can relate to that, right? :p ). They already did the exact same story in The Flash, but that never stopped anyone before :sweat:

19. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

And after all is said and done, and Peter becomes single, I wish a guest writer would come along and mess up continuity again by marrying Peter off to a shrill, cigarette-dangling, trailer park housewife that lies on the couch all day talking on the phone, gradually sucking the life out of him by her very presence.

I wonder what Quesada would say to that.

20. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

New monthly - My Name Is Peter!