1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jul 6, 2017.

?

"Spider-Man: Homecoming" - Rate and Discuss This Movie!

1. *****

28.6%
  2. ****1/2

14.3%
  3. ****

28.6%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

14.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (1/2*)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

So does a Peter Parker getting mentored and bankrolled by Stark need to take photos for the Daily Bugle to pay for web fluid? Marvel may be phasing that whole part of Peter's story out. That would explain why Betty Brant and Ned Leeds were fellow students instead of Bugle employees.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

7/10: Did they ever comment on the new tech suit Tony offers at the end. Seems like the Iron Spider one.

I wonder who bought the Avengers Tower...

7/11: There will be more Captain America PSAs on the home entertainment release.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I know a popular fan-theory is Oscorp, but I'm thinking they may want to avoid the Osborn's for now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much why I wouldn't want Tony around. This is like doing a young Bruce Wayne with no money. The complete opposite of his character. Speaking of which, once again this reminds me of a Batman Beyond situation. Tony now mentoring Peter like rich Bruce mentoring Terry.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Whoa. I'm mad I hadn't thought about that comparison. Great call.

Wasn't the whole motivation for Batman Beyond to do a teenage Batman like Spider-Man?

Full circle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  7. Action!

Action! Active Member

9/10. The July movies are off to a great start.

8. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Believe it or not the original executive meddling ideas for Batman Beyond was because the Kids WB marketting heads wanted to do a show featuring a teenage Batman. Yeah in the later 90's the executives became convinced the Saturday morning series would only be popular if they starred younger protagonists (which only seem more cemented in their eyes with how well Pokemon was doing at the time) and were pushing the DCAU staff to make a show starring younger heroes. The DCAU staff didn't want to do that so came up with the idea of doing a story set in their future world about someone becoming the next Batman after Bruce Wayne had quit. So they could still have a show to put on Kids WB but at the same time wouldn't have to follow their more ridiculous guidelines. The sad thing is Kids WB executives STILL tried to push that idea years later as originally The Batman was suppose to be about a teenage Bruce Wayne fighting teenage version of his antagonists. Which again thankfully was also retooled to just a younger Bruce Wayne then we've seen before then just him being like 16. I guess someone in a sick sense got their wish in a sense with Gotham but... okay this is going on a very off topic rant but point Batman Beyond wasn't really trying to rip off Spider Man... I think that claim works more with Static Shock really both in comic and DCAU show though.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It didn't wow me like Spider-Man 2 did (the only other SM film I saw in theaters) but it's better than the ASM films. The whole issues of running a double life felt kind of blah, so I never felt any gravitas concerning the issue of juggling school and being a superhero, maybe because I've seen it done so much throughout media. I'm surprised Micheala's character was important enough to be featured on the poster. Her role wasn't that big. She's basically a weird gag character. Not upset she's MJ, but that's because the whole teen life is just not that important to me. I do like how Flash wasn't a jock bully. That would've been very groan-inducing. If anything I'm glad everything regarding that was different.
    Thing I like the most was that the villain survived. And he was a great villain too. Didn't want to rule the world or destroy it. Just a guy mad that he got screwed over and now trying to support his family any means necessary.

I hope the sequel he moves to the city so we can see him swinging and flying around saving the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Based on first viewing alone, I'm one of the people who have the unpopular opinion of enjoying the Amazing Spider-Man movies more than this one. Some of the nasty things this Peter did are defended for this version as typical Parker luck, the previous version would have people call him a jerk and an unlikable one for making these jerk decisions (i.e; breaking a couple of fences instead of hopping over them, stealing Flash's car and damaging it to chase Vulture).

I was an apologist for those movies before seeing this one, I see myself being more of an apologist for them now that we have the "more accurate" take on the character.
    I don't remember hearing anything about buying the tower, so I assumed they're relocating to make it Stark Tower and keep Avengers headquarters away from the city.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/2: Daley and Goldstein confirmed Peter's homecoming outfit was Ben's old clothes and in an early draft, May was dating (hence those rumors way back). There was almost a direct reference to Ben.

Mm, something to review when the Blu-ray comes out.

8/3: Homecoming's preorders are already up on Best Buy. No date yet.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

With Spider-Man Homecoming almost out in Japan, One-Punch Man artist Yusuke Murata drew a really awesome artwork for the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

Neat sketch.

I kinda wish he drew the stories One writes instead of going his own way, and I say 'kinda' cause I like the ideas he came up with.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Best Spider-Man film ever! I know we've only gotten six, and only the first two Raimi films were any good (and only Spider-Man 2 was great) but this was phenomenal. Spider-Man 2 was phenomenal at the time too. It was the best superhero movie up to that point. That isn't true of this film, but that's mostly because I don't expect ANY movie to live up to Captain America: The Winter Soldier anytime soon. It was about as great as Civil War and Wonder Woman.

I love that Flash Thompson is enough of a brainiac to be on the school quiz team. That is hilarious and cool to me. Flash is MUCH more of a jerk than he was in the Marc Webb version, but he's smart and a person of color, so he's automatically more interesting.

Part of me is miffed that we never saw Tony propose to Pepper in a potential Iron Man 4, but I'm just glad they finally went there. I'm relieved they are back together again.

Happy Hogan continues to be the second best character from the Iron Man films after Tony Stark. Jon Favreau is brilliant in the role, and I like that even if he's stepped back from his directing and producing roles in the MCU, he'll still play Happy anytime, anywhere.

I laughed at Aunt May's cut-off F-bomb at the very end. What must Stan Lee think? That was the second best MCU identity reveal since Tony's "I am Iron Man," in the very first film.

I love the idea that Steve Rogers is the kind of lame dork who will do school PSA messages when asked. The tag was precisely as funny as it was because Chris Evans was pretty much throwing in our faces how lame it was. I think the MCU government must have a contract with the studio that made the PSA's, because the teacher noted after the first one, "I'm pretty sure that guy is a war criminal." Hilarious.

I did not expect to like Michael Keaton as the Vulture as much as I did. I have to say, him being Liz Allan's dad was a genuine surprise, and one of the few genuinely surprising things these movies have done. What I especially love is that when the Vulture suit is destroyed, and Peter saves his life, he gives in. He doesn't try to catch Peter off-guard and kill him out of spite. He's well enough aware that Peter risked his life to save his, and is willing to leave the loss at that. I like that because that is NOT the first instinct of ANY genre project, (although Spider-Man movies do it more often than most). Most comic book villains always try to kill the hero after they save their lives, resulting in them dying instead. That doesn't feel true to life for me. Real people would express a CRUMB of gratitude in that scenario, and it's possible Eugene does because he knows Peter's already saved Liz once too. And he's grateful enough to even be willing to keep Peter's secret at the end.

Speaking of Liz, I love Peter going into her home with dread and trepidation, because the look on his face said, "This is never going to work. I no longer want this." He knew things with him and Liz were now over. I suspect even if Peter never could have repaired his romantic relationship with her (he's STILL Spider-Man after all, and her dad STILL knows) he might have been able to at least salvage the friendship had he admitted to Liz he bailed on the dance because her dad threatened his life. But I know why he didn't do that. It would have made Liz feel a million times worse. A long distance friendship is probably not worth the damage to Liz's psyche Peter would do with that revelation.

I love Donald Glover as Prowler. He perceptively helps Spider-Man because he knows he risked his life to save his, and as a criminal, Spidey had no actual incentive to do that. I don't picture Iron Man doing that, at least not on a bad day. And he is kind enough to tell Spidey he NEEDS to get better at the interrogation aspect of being a vigilante because he stinks at it now. And when he complains that the webs are going to take 2 hours before he can get into his car, Spidey says, "You're a criminal. Sorry. You deserve it. Sorry." I love how apologetic he is, which again shows Glover is right that Spidey sucks at striking fear into the heart of of criminals. He apologizes for inconveniencing them, even if they deserve it.

I love Michelle. But I especially love the idea that Michelle is probably gonna be the new "MJ" type love interest in the next film. That was smart to make the audience fall in love with the character before we knew who she was going to be. Now we actually want that. Great storytelling there.

Best Spider-Man film. Period. *****.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member