1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Spider-Man 4" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by DisneyBoy, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Heya folks,

After having been so terribly disappointed by Spidey's latest flick, I immediately began searching for behind-the-scenes info on the next film, and then remembered a report I'd heard back around the holidays that said that Raimi was planning to make the 3rd and 4th films a two-parter. That would have made a lot more sense, given how squished this film was by including a full-fledged Venom character.

I mean, introducing Edie as a jerk in this film, and then having him be taken over by Venom at the end, to be played out in the next movie...that would have been good. I mean, really...why blow Edie up? He could have returned as Venom in the next one. I guess Raimi really doesn't care for the character...

More to the point, a quote from Cromwell on S4:

But never fear comic fans, the Stacy family will have a much bigger role to play in future installments, veteran actor James Cromwell told MTV News. Asked if his character, Captain George Stacy, meets the same grisly end in "Spider-Man 3" that he does in the comics, Cromwell playfully replied, "They haven't shot that [scene] yet. That's the next one."

Not much has been confirmed for the fourth
    Spidey yet, other than that David Koepp is writing the screenplay.

and more:

Will the "Spider-Man" franchise become the next James Bond or Star Trek, two of the longest series of films in history? It might happen, as Sony Pictures chief executive Michael Lynton told BBC News that "everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on."

There would be "as many as we can make good stories for", he pledged. "Everybody's been so busy trying to get this one out that that's been the focus. When everybody comes up for air, we can think about how to make the next one."

Obviously, I think it's safe to say the Lizard will be in the next movie. But let's not forget that the one-armed professor kept a small glob of Venom...

DISCUSS!!

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hear that...get this....Tobey McGuire may or may not play Spider Man in the next film.

- credit raja.com:D

Anyway, lame joke aside, I think it's way too early to really hear anything because the creative forces havent even planned yet. I mean the movie came out not even 3 weeks ago.

3. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

I hope they do cover Capt. Stacy's death instead, since it's usually overshadowed by Gwen's. But they're really going to have to up the character development in the next film, because I felt no attachment to either character in 3.

*Still a firm believer that they need more than Lizard and a symbiote in the next one.*

4. DisneyBoy

Apparently, Raimi wanted to have the bird-man (whatizname) in this movie. Maybe if they let him make the kind of movie he'd like to for the next one, the birdy will be used.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Vulture? I remember that Ben Kingsley was being eyed for the part. It's a villain I'm not very familiar with, but it seems kind of like a goofy villain.

6. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

What they need to do in the fourth film is give some kind of resolution to the Peter-MJ relationship. At this point it's pretty clear that there's not really much development to be had in that department. Ideally they would've done something about it in the third film, but... they didn't.

Captain Stacy's death would be great to see, but yeah, they need to develop his character. I really hope they don't kill Gwen though. Howard was really fantastic in the role, and I'd honestly like to see her just replace Mary Jane's role in the films.

7. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

He was killed saving a young boy from falling debris made in a battle between Spider-Man and Dr. Octopus, which earned Spider-Man Gwen Stacey's hatred, which was interesting as she was dating Peter Parker at the time before her own death occured some 20 odd issues later.

There seems to be a lot of talk about which villains they should use but what direction does everyone think they should take the central character in this time?

8. silverwings

silverwings Ronin of Light

Oh man, just let the series die. That or get a new director. Spidy 3 was the worst of the bunch.

I'd like to see a new director have a shot at the series. Raimi has had enough influence already.

If, for some reason, they do a forth, leave the Peter-MJ thing unresolved and introduce Felicia as a new love interest for Peter. If only because I think the Black Cat/Black Widow/Kingpin arc was my favorite. :sweat:

9. DisneyBoy

Some more fuel to add to the fire:

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/05/05/spider-man-4-villains-will-be-carnage-and-lizard-source-says/

See, in terms of marketing, Venom's awesome, but Carnage can be better. Did anyone really love how Brock and the symbiote were handled in this movie? My guess would be no. But reinventing the villain and improving on his failings in S3 would be wise. Frankly, I'd go for seeing some more of that awesome goo special effects stuff, if only they give it time and grandure. Carnage can be just that.

I definitely feel like there's room for another film, especially considering how weak this entry was. Unless A Director's cut DVD come out that gives us some better scenes in the place of the dance number, emo strut and overdone patriotism, I'm going to be pretty bummed that this was how the films ended.

Consider what can still be shown/developped:

-The Peter/MJ wedding
    -Death of the Capt
    -Gwen stuff (clearly she's around to be played with, how we'll just have to see)
    -Lizard
    -Carnage

If they try and limit themselves and not take on too much, the next film could really, really make things better. But after a fourth, I'd say, no more. I don't need to see the Vulture (thanks Michael24), Wolf-Man and the others.'

Now, correct me here...I was under the impression that the flirty, kind girl-next-apartment-over was a character from the comics? I actually thought she was the Black Cat, waiting to make her debut or something...

10. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

Yeah, Let Raimi go. Maybe, he can fix Superman. He has said Superman was his first comic favorite. :D

11. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Nope, she's just a Raimi-created character designed to spook the fanbase with the idea that she could've become the franchise's Gwen...

12. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Carnage? I guess we can say Hi! to our first R-rated SM movie. Unless, they do the ol' "shadows-on-a-wall" trick, Carnage is going to be hard to do.

13. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Everyone has their own opinion. I thought Spider-Man 3 was the best of the movies, and about 75 percent of the peopole I've talked to agree with that assessment.

I really would like to see The Lizard come out and play in a Spidey movie, or possibly Chameleon or Mysterio could make an apperance. Rhino, Scorpion, or Carnage would be cool to see, but I really don't want Kingpin to appear in Spidey unless they have the same guy who played the King in Daredevil appear. Rhino, Scorpion, and Carnage all do have stories that involve Kingpin if they are true to the comic, so they'd be less likely to appear.

Vulture would be an interesting choice, but I've never been a big fan of the old man who drains the youth from others.

14. JabarR

JabarR Member

I think if they indeed do a 4th Spidey film, they should bring in Bobby "Iceman" Drake and Angelica "Firestar" Jones, make it an "Amazing Friends" movie.

15. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

^Haha!! I loved Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. I'd love to see that. :)

16. launchpad25

launchpad25 Member

That would mean Shawn Ashmore could get some more work.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

It's almost more than official they'll get married in the fourth movie . (after all it Peter & Mary Jane's DESTINY)

As for the villian (they need to go back to one villian) and with that I say, It's time Doc Conner's become THE LIZARD

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunatley SInger is still going to direct the next one, so Raimi is better off doing something else.

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I only want a forth with Raimi and co. on board. I hated how in the Batman films the actor kept changing and I'll be darned if this universe is caught up in that sort of fiasco.

20. Caswin

Caswin Active Member

All I want to see is Mysterio. Mysterio, and a cameo by Nicholas Hammond.

Although if there's already the Lizard and Vulture, I figure may as well toss in another animal-themed villain. Maybe Chameleon, whose technology goes on to fuel Mysterio's appearance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.