1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man (1967-1970) 50th Anniversary Thread

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by JabarR, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JabarR

JabarR Member

I know its a bit early for this, but this year marks the 50th (Golden) Anniversary of the very first Spider-Man cartoon. The series ran on ABC from 1967 to 1970 and produced by GrantRay Lawrence Animation and Krantz Films (same people behind The Marvel Superheroes [one year before Spidey] and Rocket Robin Hood). Sure the animation was very cheesy for its time, but the stories were very good and for those who grew up watching the show can't deny that. So come and let's celebrate this landmark cartoon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That's really sweet! Thanks for the heads-up. I'd like to watch it again in celebration but it wouldn't feel like a celebration since it's been pretty recent since I last saw it (which was last year). :D Either way, I still appreciate what old-school Marvel and the folks at Grantray-Lawrence Animation manages to achieve with the fun comic adventures in animation form. As a kid, I loved seeing Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Electro, Mysterio, and plenty other classic villains take on Spider-Man as well as Peter's hijinks over at the Daily Bugle with Betty Brant and J. Jonah Jameson.

Of course, the show is silly and dated now, but the theme song, the swinging sequences, the voice acting, and the improved animation from the Marvel Super Heroes series in 1966 were all extremely charming. I seriously appreciate this show for essentially being the Spider-Man show I grew up with as a kid since both the 90s series already ended and I didn't see Spider-Man: The New Animated Series. Only when I was a pre-teen, the Spectacular Spider-Man started airing and I loved it.

3. JabarR

JabarR Member

This is just the music of the entire series.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Spider-Man 67 was not a show I grew up with. I was very familiar with the two 1981 series due to VHS and syndicated reruns and the Fox Kids series was on when I was grade school age but I had no idea there was a show going all the way back to 1967. Reading old issues of Marvel Age, I remember that I saw the lyrics to the theme song and I couldn't figure out where it came from at all. It wasn't until I saw ads for this album called Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits that I saw any footage from the show (the cd had the Ramones' cover of the theme). It definitely looked older and different from the Spidey shows I was used to. I still wouldn't actually see episodes from the show until I was a teenager, trying to find old cartoons online pre-YouTube. The episodes I'd find featured green skinned, cigarette smoking Mysterio, Dr Noah Boddy and Dr Magneto, so they didn't really leave the best impression on me and they didn't leave me wanting to find more. When Spider-Man 2 was on the horizon, ABC Family aired some old episodes and Disney released the boxset, so I finally had a clearer and kinder view of the series.

There's a lot of good that can happen when a show is made with an abundance of source material ( and a lot of love for the source material) as we can see with shows like Batman TAS, Avengers EMH or Brave And The Bold, etc, but there's something special to me about the shows that hit when a property is still young like the Fleischer Superman series or the 67 Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. I think it really gives off the feel of what the property was like for those original fans and it's always cool seeing the property at its rawest state. Spider-Man 67 is far from 100% faithful but I can't look at a Lee/Ditko/Romita comic now without hearing those jazzy tunes or some of those original voices in my head. It can get very goofy or very serious which I think feels right for Spider-Man

At it's best, the first season can be a lot of fun, particularly when they get the villains right. I especially liked the longer episodes with Mysterio and Rhino. For the most part, the villains created for the show were lame but not enough to drag down the show. Some of the choices bugged me though. Why, for instance, would they have an episode about a copycat criminal or a hunter and not just use The Chameleon or Kraven, who would be more interesting visually and from a personality perspective? It's a shame that the settings and supporting characters for Peter were so limited as well. The animation feels about average for 60s TV but it's bright and colorful enough to attract. I thought Season 2 and beyond had potential to have pretty good episodes when I saw episodes like The Origin of Spiderman and King-Pinned that were very grounded and felt very true to Spider-Man but more often than not episodes from those seasons dipped into pure Bakshi psychedelia and goofiness and were nowhere near as fun as the Season 1 offerings. It's silly but I just imagine that if the latter seasons were able to maintain the writing quality of the two episodes I mentioned, stayed faithful to the comic characters and kept grounded tonally, they could have actually been pretty special. That's all hypothetical though and it's not too shabby that the show gets to live on through the legacy of it's theme song and all of the memes it spawned.

• Like Like x 2
    #4 Rick Jones, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. JabarR

JabarR Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    #5 JabarR, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. JabarR

JabarR Member

Here's my take on the entire series:

Season 1 was mainly devoted to the entire comic withe usual settings (Peter's job at the Daily Bugle, dealing with his anti-hero and idiotic boss, J. Jonah Jameson, his love interest with secretary, Betty Brant and fighting all the usual villains [ala Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Vulture, Rhino and Sandman] and even those one comic villain wonders like Clivendon, Cowboy & Ox and Dr. Noah Boddy. Season 2 was more focused on Peter's life away from the Daily Bugle and more on his life at college, dealing with girls, worrying about his Aunt May and dealing with mostly green skinned villains (my Aunt calls them olive complected). Season 3 was when Krantz Films and Ralph Bakshi himself were basically running out of ideas for the show and just coming up with things to finish up the show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's still cool to me these two cartoons were promoted together, and on ABC of all places.

AmericasBestComics (1).jpg

AmericasBestComics.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. JabarR

JabarR Member

Here's a promo:

• Like Like x 1
    #8 JabarR, Mar 1, 2017
  9. JabarR

JabarR Member

Here's a clip:

• Like Like x 1
    #9 JabarR, Mar 29, 2017
  10. JabarR

JabarR Member

Here's a review:

Here are promos from the show:

Mod Note: Double post merged. Please edit your initial message instead of posting twice or more in the same day. Also, please add some text to your posts not just a link or an embedded video.

#10 JabarR, May 4, 2017
  11. JabarR

JabarR Member

History Of Comics On Film Part 30 (Grantray-Lawerence Spider-Man)

12. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I am fond of the goofy and silly first season, it never gets old for me, although the terribly underpowered Spider-Man easily taken down by regular joes should be irking.

No matter how hard I try, I can never get into the latter seasons with their vomit sky, green skinned villains, nonsensical villains, redesigned characters, less engaging title card, ugly extreme usage of stock footage that made season one looks like it used it sparsely in comparison, ugly music tracks which some are taken from the motion comics from season 1 studios, horrid stories, misogynist Spider-Man, dimension and planetary hopping Spider-Man.....

One of the reasons Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel character is the grounded adventures when compared to his super powered contemporaries in the Silver Age who have dimension hopping and alien encountering adventures, this show strayed from that a bit in season 1, and strayed much further when Ralph Bakshi adopted the show.

13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

With the Bakshi seasons, you definitely get the feeling that there's some disdain for having to work on the show in the first place.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk