1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

SPIDER-FRIENDS comic & DVD "want list"

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Spider-Friends, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Spider-Friends

Spider-Friends www.spider-friends.com

Hi everyone,
    At SPIDER-FRIENDS.COM, I've posted a DVD "want list" that I hope Buena Vista will pay attention to. Included in that is a proposal for a comic that would explain how the Spider-Friends decide to go their separate ways. Check out the site and let me know what you think. I'd love to hear your feedback on all of it.

Thanks!

CLICK HERE FOR THE DVD "WANT LIST"

2. freezeface

freezeface Riding on my ice-slide

I LOVE IT!! Hopefully it will be finished, and I'd also love to see this show on DVD (I mean, when Punky Brewster and 227 get DVD releases and Amazing Friends doesn't, there's something wrong). I'm getting kinda tired of seeing chopped up episodes. For some reason, different channels chop up different scenes in some shows put into syndication, as "Amazing Friends" had a different set of scenes (though much shorter than what ABC Family cut), when UPN reran the show in '98-99.

3. Spider-Friends

Glad you liked it Freezeface!

That's because UPN and Disney both received the FULL episodes and had to edit the episodes themselves. Different people will make different choices. I expect that the edits from ABC FAMILY are the same as the edits on TOON DISNEY though since that is still within the same company.

4. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

hmm... are the original masters intact?

5. Spider-Friends

I'm quite sure the masters have ALL the video...but not all of the audio. Specifically, not all of Stan Lee's narrations. Stan's narrations seem to be included ONLY where they are absolutely essential to the story. (See the beginning of "Origin of the Spider-Friends"; that would be a LONG silence if someone wasn't narrating. THAT'S why his narration is included in that scene.)

I'm not sure exactly how the episodes are saved and am not sure of the exact terminology but I believe the studios have master copies of the episodes AND the original film. For example, it was stated that Buena Vista went back to the original film to remaster the 67 Spider-Man cartoon for DVD release to get as good of a picture as possible. Therefore a master copy would be what the studios ordinarily use for television and video releases; the original film is preserved and mostly unused. I'm thinking the master copies that are used now were made for or after the show aired on Marvel Action Universe in the late 80s. This is evidenced in the fact that "The X-Men Adventure" includes and is missing the exact same lines of Stan Lee's narrations in the BEST VIDEO release, the UPN airing, and the ABC FAMILY/TOON DISNEY airings.

I promise, I tried to make that as simple as possible. :)

6. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

First off, that comic was awesome! You have to finish that! :)

I'd really like a set similar to what you are proposing. The interest is there, it must be, as the show has been airing on TV, on and off, for 3 years. The the show is over 20 years old, how many other cartoons from that era currently air on TV? With Thundercars, He-Man and G.I Joe either currently or soon to be on DVD, is Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends becoming the holy grail for 80's animation DVD fans?

And Jon, do you have a gallery anywhere online? I'd love to see some more of your art!

7. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I kinda agree with that statement about Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends now being the holy grail of 80's cartoons, the only other 80's cartoon that I think everyone really wants left is the Real Ghostbusters. After that comes the "B-Toons" like Dinosaucers, Bionic Six, Silverhawks, C.O.P.S., Flimantion's Ghostbusters, Bravestar, Kidd Video, Denver:The Last Dinosaur and Captain N:The Game Master(which I doubt will ever see because of the rights of the individual characters) don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of all of these shows but they aren't as popular as Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Jem, GI JOE, Thundercats, He-Man, and She-Ra.

8. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

I didn't buy the '67 Spider-Man DVD because I'm not a fan of that cartoon and never really enjoyed it. My experience with this cartoon is pretty low too but I think I would lay down the cash for this release. I did catch a few reruns when the show aired on UPN and while I wasn't really impressed with it I thought the show was pretty fun.

9. Donald Duck 12

Donald Duck 12 Heaven Bound- Happy Easter!

You seem to be doing great on the project. :)

10. Crossdive

Crossdive The World Is A Thorn - DH

sound great, but if nothing else, JUST PUT OUT THE EPS ON DVD SET(S) WITHOUT EDITING OR SCRAMBLING THEM PLEASE.

11. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

As far as comics go, I'd like to see the complete Spidey Super Stories. They're hilarious, and sort of in the squeaky clean spirit of the Spiderfriends.

12. thanos28542

thanos28542 Active Member

As was stated before, that Punky Brewster & 227 have come out on DVD & Spider-friends hasn't is a total TRAVESTY! For the love of Mike! Punky freakin Brewster!? It's only 24 episodes of I'm not mistaken so they can either make it 2 disks of 12 or 3 of 8. C'mon Disney, release Spiderfriends on freakin DVD already!

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice job, Spider-Friends. I think I'd go for a DVD release of SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS. In the early '90s I picked up a VHS release containing one episode, and while I can't remember now which episode it was, I still enjoyed it, so I think I'd buy a DVD release if one happened. :)

14. Spider-Friends

It DOES appear to be that way. I don't think Buena Vista has any idea what they have on their hands.

That is the first time I've ever read it described that way. Though obviously you missed the subtle references to the sexual relationship that was going on between Bobby and Aunt May. ;)

15. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Sick in more ways than should be allowed in a non funny quote thread. ;)

Kinda surprised you didn't throw Ms. Lions in there somewhere. :p

16. Crossdive

Crossdive The World Is A Thorn - DH

X_X just frightening...

17. Spider-Friends

The only reason I didn't is BECAUSE I didn't think it WOULD be allowed.:evil:

18. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Active Member

mailed my begging letter via snail-mail this week.. hopefully many more like-minded fans are doing the same..

19. Splinter

Splinter Well-Known Member

I could see this show being handled like how WB handles the Superfriends cartoons. This could make for a fun release with a nice retrospective and look into the show from the creators point of view. I doubt we'd ever see a comic to explain any gaps but I would like to see some featurette about the show with the actual show creators. Not just Stan Lee.

20. I'd love to see the Spider-Friends accepting the Yummy award live clip available on the DVD set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlX8SmujYso

As well as the 3 comic books that came out at that time scanned as a photo gallery or .pdf files as an extra. That would be cool.