Special DVD/Blu-ray Packaging - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Spider-Man, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

There seems to be plenty of special packaging for DVDs and Blu-rays whether it is discs placed in busts or elaborate statues. Steelbook casing has become very popular too. Do you like these special packages for your DVD and Blu-rays or do you just prefer a simple DVD or Blu-ray case and thats it? Are the special packaging more cumbersome than useful?

2. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

I prefer the more standard and small packaging I can get. This case, for example, would be lovely to see used more often.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

As long as it's not a recycle case, I'm fine with it. Anything but a recycle case.

I do like clear cases where the disc matches the inside artwork, though. Very pretty, even if you don't see it that often.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I have bought one DVD that had the Steelbooks casing. I liked it a lot because it is more durable than your standard case. Not a fan of the busts and what not. One exception was Time Life's The Real Ghostbusters complete collection because it was based on the Firehouse and thus, not a three dimensional or irregular.

5. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

6. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I like special cases when it's stuff like my Iron Man DVD that is shaped like Iron Man's helmet, my The Dark Knight DVD with Batman's mask looks kind of cheesy though...

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Some of them look nice (like the Alien Quadrilogy in the Xenomorph head), but I'm not really into them for spacing/price reasons. I've only bought two releases in special packaging: TimeLife's Real Ghostbusters set in the firehouse box, and the Blade Runner collector's set in the briefcase. Both were just far too cool to pass up.

And while the DVD's didn't come in it, I did buy a special Indiana Jones DVD case that looks like a suitcase with Indy's jacket, whip, and hat lying on top of it. They were sold empty at Blockbuster Video in 2008 to put the latest DVD editions inside. I bought it more for collectible reasons than to hold the DVDs.