1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

South Park Season 21 Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Ultra Mike, Sep 13, 2017.

?

What Are Your Thoughts On This Season?

1. ***** Stars

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****.5 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. **** Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***.5 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *** Stars

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. **.5 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. ** Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *.5 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. * Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 0 Stars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well no one made a talkback for it so I might as well. South Park season 21 starts tonight at 10PM Eastern Standard Time with "White People Renovating Houses"

[​IMG]

SYNOPSIS: "Protestors armed with tiki torches and confederate flags take to the streets of South Park. Randy comes to grips with what it means to be white in today’s society."

Trey Parker and Matt Stone promised more a return to form for this season so we likely won't get a season long story arc which is probably a good thing. Even though I did like a good deal of season 20, it did drop it's ball on the finale and SP is better when it can focus on a message without having to flip flop exactly what they're trying to say so yeah talk about this episode and the rest of the season here people!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Alexa took mah jerb!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Huh of all the plot points from the previous season they decided to try and tie up here didn't think it'd be Cartman and Heidi. Then again I guess we sadly aren't going to see Gerald get payback and they probably don't want to do Garrison/Trump stuff for awhile but you'd think we'd at least get something from the whole Memberberries. Then again I guess it makes sense as Cartman is the most central character and last season him and Heidi were still a couple even if Cartman wasn't fully feeling it. Like I said last year though logical from a story telling perspective and from a character perspective this would lead to a break up, there is a note of sadness because again it was so close to them actually fully being a couple. Not really in this episode but again if Cartman just opened up about not liking Ghostbusters 2016 this whole fall out could of been avoided but yeah only natural for Cartman to try and blame all of his own problems on someone else in some sense and I like the idea of him thinking Heidi was playing mind games with him through emotional mental torment and he was the strong one from breaking up with her. Kind of sad but I guess it could of ended on a much more nefarious note with Cartman. Plus I do like the opening showing the guys all laughing together with Alexia and Cartman getting off on having someone totally subserviant to his whims he didn't just have to be emotionally complex with. I am glad they actually did at least give some focus to the relationship and not instantly write it off screen and have decent resolution to it.

As for the main plot... honestly I really only know about things like Flip or Flop because my mom is such a huge fan of the show and constantly talks about it and the controversery and issues with the hosts. But I wouldn't be surprised since Matt and Trey admitted to liking stuff like Housewives of South Jersey or Kitchen Confidental it's one of those shows they're really into and are giving it a weird shout out. Honestly the best line was the ending about with how screwed up the country is people can take solace in people flipping and changing houses but I do actually like the stuff with Daryl. Part of me almost wondered if they were going to dive more into his history but I guess that would of been more arc stuff so just tying it to the flip or flop stuff worked and I do like the idea of giving his group all jobs as Alexias and Siri's as Jimbob singing Humble was also another good moment. Again I don't know the show so much so I assume Sharon being so quiet is a reference to the couple issues on the actual Flip or Flop but could of at least used her making some sort of quip about being annoyed by this whole thing but otherwise solid plot.

This episode wasn't great or anything but it was a decent premiere with some good jokes and resolution. Again I think after last season this was a more simple return to form and hope we get more of that featuring other characters in this run and maybe cool it on the major storylines at least for most of the season anyway.

4. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

I love how even when South Park is making fun of the right wing, Tumblr STILL gets triggered.

5. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

Good start to the season. It was WAY better and funnier than season 20 in general for sure, but I'm not sure how the rest of the season will fare.

The Alexa and Randy plots were the highlights of this episode. Didn't cared much for the Cartman/Heidi stuff going here...

6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

The previous season issues were still here that I just couldn't find myself enjoying the story as much as I should have. For the first few minutes I was honestly expecting this episode to be something about the Cartman gang and Alexa, but instead they are instantly forgotten after that part, only to leave Cartman alone with Alexa and Heidi to be in the middle of this. It's really hard to believe someone who didn't have much involvement the previous seasons before 20 had more to do here than Kyle, Kenny and Stan.

As for Randy's side of things again it was a boring Randy steals 75% of the episode with his non sense type of scheme. This only made the episode any less enjoyable because they are putting more effort into this and again Randy doesn't do much of any special either, and those people protesting against Alexa should have been against Cartman the Alexa supporter.

I really hope the next episode isn't as jumbled as this one and manages to really do more with the kids, I am all for more screentime for them, and hopefully Randy isn't a House remodeler in the next episode either.

7. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

No more arcs, back to random stuff please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

So I guess Tweek and Craig are official.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

"Put It Down" - I have to say I actually really dug this episode. I admit I did kind of think the whole point of the last episode was to end the Cartman/Heidi relationship but again, Heidi is the first actual romance Cartman's had the entire show and if there are still possibilities for it I'm for that. In this case Cartman regretting the back up and having to threaten to take his own life and when that gets made fun of him trying to make it a major issue again just only focusing on himself. Which I could see some could think of as annoying but... it is his character and honestly him actually playing the insane rabid voice to PC Principal (whose maybe chilled out on being ultra PC in a post "Garrison" world heh heh) and trying to mock the kids trying to give attention to not paying attention motorists and his various suicidal raps I found amusing. Plus it does seem now if not calling him out on his BS Heidi isn't just playing the "oh I'm just concerned girlfriend" to "I want to actually do something to help people out not just have it about you" which actually is a different dynamic for the relationship then the note played in the last episode. Plus again I always enjoy Cartman being put down the most when he totally does it to himself with like really not outside inteference and again him trying to play the victim yet not realizing they're our other victims and jumping onto other bandwagons people care about more are great.

I also really liked the stuff with Tweek and Craig's plot. I have to admit I am surprised we are actually getting another episode about them actually being a couple and that still being a relationship. Seemed like something that would either just be mentioned or in the background but no it's given a focus. And this over paranoid reaction is honestly the perfect kind of thing to do with Tweek. I admit I've known people who also have had "over reactions" to the president's tweets and issues with North Korea and even people trying to calm them down so I get both sides and I do like how this one isn't trying to demonize one side over the other. Craig trying to be emotionally distant and just give facts and logic is just as unhelpful as Tweek's rambalings as the key is actually getting those emotions out and being heard and listened to and actually being able to get some personal self satisfiaction. Obviously SP isn't dealing with some of the character building/emotion bonding of other adult cartoons but I like how it is still there as well as the whole message song at the end about not driving while you're on the phone especially if you're the president. I think Matt and Trey admitted they didn't want to really focus on Garrison being president with that being a major issue of the last TWO seasons but it's also something they can't totally ignore when such insane rambalings make for good story points so him just being heard tweeting back these things is funny without shoving too much Garrison down your throat. Plus I do like how Tweek actually was making a good point with the cupcakes before being interrupted by the tweet and his super scared song actually morphing into a solid melody line at the end.

So yeah really solid enjoyable episode. Better then the last season as having that emotional turn around and runnners that actually had a lot of solid jokes to them worked. Heck though the last couple of season over did people being hit by cars switching it up to bumper cars at the amusement park and people actually STOPPING that made those bits funny as well so yeah really good stuff. Honestly I'm glad that they are back to more stand alone episodes that just reference and build on the lore of the show and honestly feel like they grow some of the characters some. So you can still have one shot adventures but have the continuity and characters still feel like they're building to something else so a best of both worlds kind of situation honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

I loved tonight's episode, especially the song at the end because let's be honest, I hate it when people are mindlessly looking at their phones (though there's a picture online that gives a positive point of view on the matter) and South Park has done it several times at the end of season 18 and episodes 2 and 3 of season 20 (the latter which opened my eyes and got me to do other things with my life). But this episode is the one where they make that message of putting your phone down loud and clear and I admire them for that.

So a great episode all around, though I still can't believe Tweek and Craig are still committed to their "relationship".

11. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Why do I have the bad feeling Heidi is going to commit suicide at the end of the season.

Anyway Tweek and Craig are officially, and is this a moment of progression?

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

For the most part, this episode was a good improvement over the last few seasons quality of episodes. Admitingly I have to say I am disappointed that this is likely another arc season, and we might have more connected episodes.

Past that criticism, I enjoyed the story a lot more now that episode focused more on the kids for once rather than someone outside their range talking a subplot and messing up the structure with another story that isn't important in the slightest. Instead, It is Cartman being himself with a funny resolution at the end and while I may not into CraigxTweek It was tolerable at best but still the episode was good, I liked their use of Fidget spinners here because that is so South Park.

13. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

This week's episode was better. Although I could do it without shoehorning love drama or politics, but they didn't hurt the episode that much.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

"Holiday Special" - I do have to wonder if this episode was trying to reference mother! in a very subtle way since at one point they talked about no one getting a movie that was above people's head and the ending at Randy's house with everyone coming in with the boys and the DNA and Me testers and the Indian and his family. Could just be nothing honestly but it was running through my head watching this. Same with wondering if people would be satisfied with the boys roles here since yeah sans Cartman we didn't get much from them in the last two episode and... well at least got a bit more here. With Kyle actually pointing how his mom use to be such an over activist (heh wonder if there should of been a joke of Cartman wondering he should write a song about Stan's dad being a "b*tch" or would that not really fit?) and pointing out sometimes pretending to sort of be on her side just to get her to stop or Stan pointing out how into Columbus day his dad use to be and Kenny on the phone. They were at least good moments and I do like the idea of everyone being on the same page about wanting Columbus Day as a holiday and how Cartman thinks that's the reason Christopher Columbus even sailed the ocean blue and that inspiring the boys and them managing to show the guy through tapes Randy being ultra offensive. I mean it's not terribly much but at least it's something which is more then we've got all season so... progress and again those scenes worked.

I can see the Randy stuff being very half and half. Again Randy was never my favorite character as one of my friends loved him and though I did like his overexaggerations sometimes they could be less funny then Matt and Trey were assuming. I honestly though it worked here since it was Randy wanting to be thought of as a victim or an activist to not think he was awful supporting Columbus so hard previously. Since yeah I guess Randy is sort of like Cartman but with an actual soul and humanity and is more stupid then evil. Plus unlike Gerald all of last season he actually get founds out and his whole plan didn't work at all and I have to admit him paying the Indian to kiss him just for salivia and almost trying to get an anal sample from him and freaking out about having Nethandaral DNA was funny enough. Plus I admit I still get a chuckle when he's overreacting and the entire rest of the family is just sort of annoyed and passe about it like with Sharon and Shelly. Plus I did like tying this whole thing into the ending about Indengious People day and saying that's an excuse for white people to call each other out on their crap and him not getting people's annoyance at him. I guess it does work here since Randy isn't getting away with any of his lunacy at all and is trying to cover up from his past overexaggerations.

I don't think this was as good as the last episode since the emotional center and message felt stronger but the laughs here were solid. More of the boys and again Randy's plot based on other's reaction was funny so solid episode. I am hoping we get more of the main kids now since I would like to see more of Stan Kyle Kenny and Butters then them just having a minute conversing with one another or with Randy and have their own plot of some kind.

15. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Personally, I found the the part about Randy complaining about not being able to be subtle or nuanced to be a nod to the season premiere. After all, both episodes had parodies about the aftermath of the Unite the Right rally, with the satire in the premiere being subtle (while the parody here is blatant).

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

For the most part, it was an okay episode, I enjoyed the better amount of screentime the Cartan gang had and how they took turns trying to alternate their voices. Surprisingly Heidi wasn't even in this episode which gave Stan, Kyle, and Kenny more to do.

I may not be a big fan of most Randy stories but this one seemed stronger than most and I do think that it worked a lot better here than the first episode of the seasons. It was pretty funny to see Randy try and take down a holiday because of how wrong it is to celebrate it which is why I enjoyed the ending result you should embrace the holiday, and people throwing criticism towards him was really funny as well.

17. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

Holiday Special was hilarious, seeing Randy acts like a hypocrite about Columbus was priceless. I enjoyed the boys making a phone call and they all altered their voices to make it sound threatening. I'll say it's the best episode of the season so far. This show is really improving from the mess that was season 20.

18. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Put It Down and Holiday Special were pretty sweet/funny, cool to see more new South Park!!!

North Korea the antagonists, the Donald Trump/North Korea jab.
    Poor Cartman/Heidi broke up, their relationship was sweet while it lasted.
    Cartman wanting to commit suicide wanting attention, hehehehe.
    Nice seeing Dog Poo.
    Kim Jong-un's appearance.
    President Garrison so hilarious, hahahahahaha:p.
    Poor Gary dead.
    Love the use of fidget spinners.
    Poor kids dying by dumb idiot adults was funny.
    I'll be happy seeing Gerald get destroyed further episodes.
    The Put It Down song was great, nice seeing Nicole, and Cartman's rap was funny.
    Cartman not doing it, duh, hahahahahaha:p.

Randy the hypocrite canceling Columbus Day and crapping on statues was funny, Randy being villainous as usual was hilarious, hehehe:p.
    Randy's Columbus Day past was interesting.
    Kenny's deep voice, hahahahahaha.
    That poor Native American, but it's hilarious, hahahahahaha.
    The boys using the deep voices, hahahahahaha.
    Randy busted by the jogger, hahahahahaha.
    Cartman's speech on saving Columbus Day was sweet.
    Randy's lesson learned.
    Randy changing the holiday and being crappy on the people was hilarious, hahahahahahaha:p.

19. Neo Ultra Mike

"Franchise Prequel" - Though I am a huge fan of South Park the TV series I admit I don't follow the video game news as much. Thus though I had heard the Stick of Truth was coming out as a came back in 2013 (before it wound up having to be delayed to February 2014) it was obviously something that was in development for years and had been given previews at E3 even back in 2011 I believe. Thus though the whole "Black Friday" trilogy in season 17 was an obvious homage/spoof/rag on Game of Thrones it also had the boy in RPG attire due to that being part of the plot of Stick of Truth. Probably also why there was a big focus from the boy's plot to have a focus on the new consoles as well. Since Stick of Truth wound up actually doing really well in terms of sales and reviews it obviously generated interest in a sequel. Which was also a project severely delayed but eventually became the video game Fractured But Hole coming out next week. It's something that was also worked on for years and in fact had a teaser trailer all the way back mid last year... which is pretty much a reworked shorter take on the ending of this episode they obviously decided to crowbar on to promote the game.

Which honestly isn't really a problem because the entire point of the boy's plot was pretty much showing how really into profit and just making money they felt being super heroes really was and just wanting to sell their franchise and if anything I would of been fine with more of that. Especially since though the zings are good (especially Butters hatred on Suicide Squad) honestly they could of been updated more. For example the whole "fail halfway through your first phase DC Comics" made a lot more sense last year with how bad the fall out of Batman V Superman was. What they should of done is have Heidi show up in her super hero persona saying girl power can save a franchise as a dig on Wonder Woman. Like seriously since though kind of funny her scene otherwise had no point in this episode so having her pop up again like that would have actual payoff. Plus I kind of wish they actually gave into some of the parodies of Netflix or MCU movies besides just mentioning how Netflix will green lit everything. Granted I do like how until the end untied all the kids are on the issue and hoenstly I really do like how they're the one who planned to take out Zuckerberg by playing pretend heroes to have him beat up on them to make him look bad on Facebook. I admit that is a clever plan based on the set up and I really like the ending of Butters getting grounded along with the president of Russia. Though I have to say competent president Butters actually being successful spreading chaos is a nice twist for the character and seems to fit in with Butters now being more forward and commanding honestly even if based on actually wanting to pay and give people bonuses he's still a nice guy at heart but you can sort of tell a little Cartman's now crept into him especially with him hiring Zuckerberg against the boys.

Though speaking of Mark, I really do wish a lot of the stuff with Zuckerberg was cut. The dubbed voice and "you can't block me" was funny at first but again that's one of those jokes they just beat into the ground over and over again without any variations. Something honestly this season has been a bit better at in the last few episodes then others but most joke with the adults was "we screwed up letting Zuckerberg in and can't really do anything about him." And I get the point they're going for but that doesn't make putting up with him that pleasent until he actually gets beat at his own game which I guess makes his downfall feel more satisfying but still a bit painful to sit through. Maybe if we actually did get to see into his fantasy state like we did with Jimmy's Fast Pass some more it could work but we didn't get that so it does make the joke feel weaker. That doesn't mean this was bad as most of the boys stuff was good and I do like them trying to tie this into the video game coming out next week but wish we had less time with Zuckerberg and more on the boys in super hero forms making jokes against the current state of superhero culture. Then again sure a lot of that will be in Fractured But Hole but since not everyone is going to play that game wish some more jokes from that would be put here.

20. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I found most of what this episode brought pretty enjoyable. I know this one would be a way to promote the game, but it was done very well here and for the most part everything felt much better than most Coon and Friends episodes, I was never a fan of them until this episode managed to be enjoyable.

It's major con is Heidi who just felt forced in for no particular reason and she really did eat time badly, with that boring scene.