1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

South Park is now TV-14 - a sign of changing times?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Golden Geek, Aug 20, 2017.

?

Should South Park be rated TV-14?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Some episodes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

If you look through Comedy Central's schedule, you'll see that 90% of South Park episodes have been rerated from "TV-MA-L" to "TV-14-DLSV". These aren't the syndicated cuts; they're all how the episodes originally aired on Comedy Central (meaning they're not uncensored, but s-bombs are still unbleeped in later seasons).

The episodes I found that were still MA on the schedule are "Bloody Mary", "____ Magic", Dances with Smurfs", "Ginger Kids", "It Hits the Fan", "Le Petit Tourette", "Stupid Spoiled _____ Video Playset", and "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson".

If you look at South Park from the context of today's society, 14-year-olds have really seen much worse on YouTube, so I definitely agree with rerating some of the earliest episodes as TV-14. There are a few more episodes I would have kept as MA though, such as the Black Friday trilogy (primarily for the sex scenes).

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Could be. I guess it's similar to how every Nicktoon (aside from Ren & Stimpy and Kablam) was rated TV-Y in the '90's and early 2000's, but now they are all TV-Y7.

Side note: am I the only one who is tired of the constant vulgarity in our society? Just to be clear I'm not against edgy shows like South Park, but I'm kind of sick of it being treated as "normal" or as something the average joe is okay with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I think the only real problem with vulgarity is if people are just being shocking and edgy just for the sake of it or are using it to promote negative messages. The way South Park does it at least uses it to make a point most of the time, and a lot of the way Trey and Matt use it does mostly work. Much of Team America is really the magnum opus of this IMO.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk