1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Pictures Animation’s “Emojimovie: Express Yourself”

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by 19MagiswordLane, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It seems to be doing well at the box office

seems we are having a Smurfs/Chipmunks/Transformers situation

2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Not really, since it is projected to get a little under $30 million for the weekend (which, although good, is nowhere near the territory any of those films hit), and I get a strong impression it'll drop severely on all subsequent weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I know just about everyone on the net hates this movie, but kids seem to like it. At the summer camp I worked at we were going to show the kids a You Tube video from SciShow and the trailer for The Emoji Movie came on and all the kids went absolutely bonkers about how badly they want to see it and how great it looks. Has anybody around here who has any pre-adolescent siblings, cousins, etc or work with kids noticed this?

5. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

If I ever decide to do that, I'll just wait until it comes on one of the FX channels or somewhere I don't have to pay to see it.

6. SaneMan

the movie already managed to make half of its budget back on opening weekend alone

I think we can expect at least 4 sequels as well as every single animated movie from now on trying to be exactly like it

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The trailer doesn't look promising.
    My mom is using all of those "emojis that never get used". Please forgive her! She got a smartphone only a few months ago and has never used a computer :D

Am I the only one who is still using the word "smiley" rather than "emoji"?
    Those movies made me glad Walt Disney ruined Marsupilami for the American audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

It might be too soon to call that. Just because it had a good opening weekend doesn't mean it'll stay up there for very long, especially with all the negative press it's getting. I'd probably wait until after week two and see if it can make up the other $20 mill before worrying about a potential Emoji Sequel.

9. Toon4Thought

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty far stretch. Most animated films make back half their budget on opening weekend, and I can easily see this being the kind that drops severely after the first weekend. Not to mention it probably won't get much attention after it leaves the theater and thus end up with mediocre DVD/Blu-Ray/digital sales.

Also, the only way it will leave that big an influence on the industry is if it ends up being as groundbreaking or hugely successful as Toy Story, the Lego Movie, or the Despicable Me series. And this doesn't come close to any of those levels, even financially.

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure Sony was expecting the movie to do twice as good or as good as The Lego Movie, which got its entire budget back on its opening weekend.

And with really bad reviews, they're definitely not going to make a sequel, let alone four. It'll only do much worse. The only animated movie that's similar that actually has a release date is The Playmobil movie. Other films like one based off Play-Doh are also in the works. They're going to be careful and work hard on a script to ensure that a good movie can be made from a ridiculous concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Toon4Thought

To be fair, those concepts don't sound nearly as dead on arrival.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SaneMan

Remember that DreamWorks has canceled all of their projects for the sake of making Boss Baby sequels

• Like Like x 1
  13. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I know Boss Baby is getting a sequel, but when did DreamWorks cancel all their other projects for it?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SaneMan

Many of their planned movies, like My Shadow and Me, have dissapeared from their wikipedia article

15. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

It's probably fake, but still posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

Don't forget that Sony also CANCELLED Genndy Tartakovsky's Popeye movie, as well as Lauren Faust's Medusa movie! I was quite excited for those until the "Phonys" at Sony scrapped those for frickin' yellow balls on your smartphone with arms and legs!

BTW, they also might've scrapped Genndy Tartakovsky's Can You Imagine?!

17. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And even if they were cancelled, I doubt it was because of Boss Baby.
    This seems to be the original source:
    https://me.me/i/culture->-film->news-sony-pictures-animation-announces-meme-movie-17887462

It's from a day ago and no credible source has reported it, so it definitely isn't real.

#137 PinkiePie97, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  18. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Sony's first R-rated CG movie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

They did:

20. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

Oh yeah, I forgot that I heard about that earlier. I now wish Sony Pictures would get hacked again! Some of those recent features they put out are AAAAAAAWFULLLLL!!!! (except for Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Angry Birds Movie, Sausage Party, and Smurfs: The Lost Village!)