1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony makes acquisition deal with Funimation

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Peter Paltridge, May 4, 2017.

1. Heeroyuy_Batman

That's your opinion and you have a right to it, but with other companies making acquisitions Disney is going to have to acquire more content eventually to compete and Sony Pictures would fit that bill quite nicely. Then again, CBS would also love to buy Sony Pictures as well. I would also point out the Disney thing isn't so much a rumor as my personal opinion. I'm not sure Disney would make a go at Sony Pictures. It just would make a ton of sense if they did.

I think Sony Pictures does fit with Disney for the most part and what doesn't Disney can always sell or use as leverage to make other acquisitions. There's problems with Disney buying Hasbro. For one, Bob Iger said they aren't interested. For another, buying Hasbro would potentially interfere with the Toy Story franchise because it's doubtful Mattel would want to continue licensing their intellectual property to a direct competitor which is what Disney would become should they buy Hasbro.

2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Spider-Man yes, MIB probably not

It wouldn't fit at all and I don't want Disney to monopolise the film industry.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. Heeroyuy_Batman

I believe it would fit. However, I don't want Disney to have a monopoly, but buying Sony Pictures wouldn't give them one. There would still be four other major competitors and several minor ones. Plus, in time, Lionsgate may become a 6th major film company.

4. AdrenalineRush1996

It's best for Disney not to buy a major competitor like Sony. Lionsgate is close to being a major studio but not yet there.

5. Heeroyuy_Batman

By the time Sony gets acquired, it may no longer be a major film company. Spider-Man: Homecoming is the only film that's been really successful for them for a while. Who knows if any of their future ones will be successful? Sony won't be sold for at least 2-3 years at the earliest and more likely we're looking at a 5-20 year range, but I'm confident it will be in due time.

6. AdrenalineRush1996

Chances of them being sold is now unlikely since they've confirmed after the critical failure of The Emoji Movie that they will be restructing their movie units.

7. Heeroyuy_Batman

I respectfully disagree that the restructuring will necessarily prevent the future sale of Sony Pictures. It could, but I think it's more likely just to postpone the inevitable. However, we're starting to derail the thread so let's either agree to disagree or start a new thread on the subject.

8. AdrenalineRush1996

Unlike Spider-Man, MIB did not originate as a Marvel property. It was originally published by Aircel, before it was bought by Malibu and then Marvel absorbed the publisher few years before the film's release and before the comic book industry crash that almost killed Marvel to the point that it filed for bankruptcy after the crash plus people nowadays are unaware that the films are actually based on a comic book.

9. ms78

ms78 Member

That's true. I just think that Marvel and Disney would take it back given the chance. While I don't see them wanting to adding it to the MCU I can see them wanting creative control over the franchise going forward.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

Had new MIB comics been published after the film, then Marvel could publish them under their Icon imprint.

11. ms78

ms78 Member

Does anyone think that any of the anime Sony licensed will go to Funimation now? I would love to see a blu ray release of Blood+. What about other Sony animation such as the Real Ghostbuster, Men in Black or Jackie Chan Adventures. I think that if Funimation released a blu ray set of any of them they would all sell really well. Especially the Real Ghostbusters.

12. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I don't think so, since some of their series have issues with the licensor (Cyborg 009 is never coming out again due to Ishinomori's estate being very anal about the license being picked up, so as a result the dub will never be finished on disc and the God's War OVA dub is considered lost media as it only aired overseas)

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I feel confident in saying Sony Pictures' catalog of anime will probably get re-released under Funimation. Blood+, the Satoshi Kon films, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, etc. There's some good stuff in there that they could help resuscitate.

14. Dark Fact

Dark Fact Preaching evil since '04

It has less to do with the dub and more so with the company's handling of the Dragon Ball Z releases over the past decade which has been mired in controversy with much of that blame resting on Fukunaga and his arrogance.
    You still want to insist that Fukunaga is a messiah to anime. He's not. You're no more of a means to a financial end to him like I am to him and everyone else here in America. Fukunaga really doesn't owe anyone here anime just as the industry doesn't owe us anime. All this butt kissing to Fukunaga is just beyond ridiculous as he is more than willing to throw his loyal fanbase under the bus to help appease his own financial interests. His handling of the Dragon Ball Z property is more than enough evidence to show for this. Everyone is just willing to turn the other cheek because of the nostalgia factor tied to Dragon Ball Z itself.

15. AdrenalineRush1996

What industry doesn't owe us anime? And to be honest, if it weren't for him (aside from his arrogance), DBZ wouldn't have been a very popular anime in the US.

Maybe Cyborg 009 could be redubbed by a different studio, given that you said that the Funimation dub will never be re-released or finished due to the issues between the studio and the Ishinomori estate?

• Like Like x 1
    #75 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  16. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Cyborg 009 wasn't a Funimation dub. You might be thinking of 009-1.

Ishinomori Productions has the rights frozen for the 2001 anime, which Sony only partially released.

Edit: Just as I had posted this about an hour ago, Discotek rescued the 2001 series. Whoa.

#76 Zeether, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  17. AdrenalineRush1996

Maybe one day they could allow another studio doing a better job at doing the dub for the 2001 anime.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Quite frankly, I don't see anyone kissing his rear here. For another thing, I think the point being made here, if Sony decides to oust Fukunaga at some point, it's not like they are tossing him out on the street. Chances are he made out very well from this sale. He could probably start up another company with that capitol if he wanted. Him getting fired or stepping down from Funimation would hardly make him homeless.

You don't like Fukunaga and Funimation's handling of DBZ. I understand that. However, I think your idea that you will find some sort of righteous absolution if Funimation opts to oust him at some point is misplaced. At this point, if Fukunaga did make out in the 9-figure range for this, if the dude is crying, he's going to be crying in a bag of money. While some silly otaku will probably make some silly memes on a forum saying "ding dong the witch is dead." Like something was won. Sorry, but it would be a hollow victory at best.

I'm not here to kiss up to Fukunaga. I don't know the guy at all or how he is as head of the company. I also don't know if this is a positive deal for Funimation. Time will tell. But Fukunaga getting ousted is probably not going to kill him one little bit.

• Like Like x 1
    #78 TheVileOne, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  19. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

These are all non-anime. Just saying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For my part, what's amazing is the extent to which decisions made 10 years ago or 20 years ago for *one* property are held onto for dear life by some and wielded as a club against the full weight and measure of everything else Funimation has done and is doing.

And that's aside from such facts as the fact Funimation could have never released the Dragon Box at all (wow will fans not let that one go), or tried a top-tier 4:3 HD restoration on its own, or that it's basically been dubbing Dragon Ball Z correctly since at least DBZ Kai and the latest movies and Super.

If not a messiah (I'll agree with that, it's not without mistakes or room for improvement), then not a pariah either.

• Like Like x 1
    #80 GWOtaku, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017