1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony makes acquisition deal with Funimation

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Peter Paltridge, May 4, 2017.

1. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Crunchyroll is the future of the western Japanese animation industry, assuming Netflix and Amazon don't keep destroying its profitability with their blundering. The egomaniacs running Netflix and the Japanese production committees are much more interested in making a quick buck from Netflix's poor understanding of licensing fees than getting their product out into the market for profitable consumption.

FUNimation is an senior citizen trying to remain hip with the kids while simultaneously becoming buddies with other ignorant and intolerant old people, thinking their old ways of doing things are the future. With Crunchyroll we may very well be on a path where we can finally end this culture of ending dubbing of foreign media.

No, they succeeded in using familial connections get a series they could shove onto Saban's syndication network for a year, randomly get seen by some guy working for Cartoon Network who liked what little remained of the animation, and then licensed there to be consumed by the masses who came for the animation. FUNimation had nothing to do with making Dragon Ball popular.

FUNimation succeeded in doing their job...a job that really shouldn't have been that difficult. Praising them for blind luck where one other idiot (Harmony Gold) failed is hardly something you want to add to your boy scouts vest.

I'm not wiping my ass with toilet paper with the characters from this show on it. It's not that big a deal.

4Kids Entertainment got my tasteless seven/eight year old self into Japanese cartoons. That didn't stop me from eventually wanting them to burn to the ground for their deplorable practices.

Japanese cartoons are so much bigger than FUNimation or whatever flavor of the week US licensee if putting out foreign language dubs of these foreign cartoons y'all like. I sincerely implore everyone to poke outside of their narrow US broadcast fandom bubble and try to explore the actual Japanese animation industry.

FUNimation has come a long way from releasing home video releases of Japanese cartoons that are actually unedited and retain all of the original text and audio?

I just bought their Shin Gojira release on some good faith that it would be unedited. They removed one of the biggest running visual gags and homages and thought to tell nobody about it before hand. They consistently release episodes of cartoons without the original credits and logos. At least in the early 2000s they did that much. This is to say nothing of how they continually push to get their consumers to affiliate Japanese cartoons with FUNimation, rather than the original production companies and committees. They're all about being the brand. Classic warped capitalism and American nationalism.

I was pretty sarcastic in this post, but not because I don't care. I do care. I like being happy. As such, here's something happy and completely off topic I would like to share.

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Sorry Imouto, I can't agree with most of that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

It isn't just Funimation that does the English dubs of anime. It's also Viz Media since you ignored that part and not every English dubbed version of anime are done by Funimation plus their dub did make Dragon Ball Z a popular anime in the US, in addition to being one of the first high-profile anime shows to become a success on Cartoon Network, which led to Toonami. 4Kids collapsed due to lawsuits with Konami over Yu-Gi-Oh! (which is why several episodes of two anime shows from the franchise were left undubbed) and financial struggles.

Sorry but I don't agree with most of your points because I don't think you're doing great at being sarcastic and that you really are critical of this. People can decide whether to see an anime dubbed or subbed.

Regardless of what you say, the culture of doing English dubs of anime will not stop just because there's now increased support for subbing anime.

Don't tell everyone to poke outside of their narrow US broadcast fandom bubble and try to explore the actual Japanese animation industry because not everyone will agree with you on this.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

People shouldn't be looked down on for watching or preferring dubs either. There are plenty of valid reasons as to why people wouldn't want to watch subs, such as not wanting to be distracted by reading the subtitles, liking the English dub cast or just being a personal preference. Acting high and mighty over watching Japanese cartoons subbed really isn't going to convince anyone to get out of their US broadcast fandom bubble. Whether or not you like dub anime, there are still people who are going to be interested in a show if it's in a language they understand. There's a reason why Funimation keeps making simulcast dubs every season. People like dubs and getting them earlier than they would have is appealing. Regardless on your feelings about dubs, they aren't going to go away anytime soon.

There's nothing wrong with preferring subbed versions either, but that condescending tone does bother me. Not to mention this whole dub vs. sub argument seems extremely pointless to me, even more than it was in the past. It is extremely easy to find legal subs nowadays. Granted, not every series from Japan gets licensed and there are older titles that might not have legal subs too, but I'm pretty sure most anime that get licensed and release nowadays have legal subs included in DVD releases and/or online. If you really don't care for dubs, you have legal subs as a perfectly good option for the majority of series that come out of Japan, so you can still support the official release. This really shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

Jacob I love you man, and I know you are speaking out because you truly love anime, but Dubbing allows people who cant read because of blindness/Dyslexia or somesuch, I know I might be accused of aiming to the "Lowest common denomator" here but Dubbing is very much needed for these people. However, I dont hate you for not liking dubbing, in fact I dont think your opinion is wrong because its your opinion, this is a free world we live in and you are entitled to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

I would love Animax to be in the US as Funimation Channel 2.0 but that's just me.

7. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

The Answerman article mentions that the CR partnership may not last under this...would that mean anything CR gets wouldn't be dubbed if they had to break off from Funimation? Or would they just look into getting it done themselves for disc releases?

Granted I don't know if I can take some of that at face value, but that and the whole "their QC might take a hit" prediction makes me worried.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"FUNimation had nothing to do with making Dragon Ball popular" is objectively false. There is simply no way the marketing strategy and the English dub had nothing to do with it. Nothing stays around twenty years by accident. As for Crunchyroll supposedly being the one true pure and hip company, it was just last summer that they started pursuing home video releases and English dubs on their own.....and then a scant few months later they partnered with Funimation.

Licensing fees have been hitting remarkable, if not unprecedented, levels for a handful of years now.....which puts money into the industry. This is the opposite of subverting the business, which is why for the immediate future "Netflix Original" projects and the like will only increase if anything. And this is, most likely, a significant reason for the Sony deal. More resources and connections to help Funimation keep pace with the newer competition and grab onto some of the key shows of tomorrow.

2017 has been one long study in showing how serious that competition is. The better shows of the summer pretty much wound up on Amazon, Netflix is sponsoring anime originals in 2018 and is getting works like Devilman Crybaby and the insanely lush Kyoto Animation series Violet Evergarden. Crunchyroll last year, selling to Sony this year, neither of these things probably would have happened absent this competitive landscape.

It wouldn't have to be the end. There are other distributors out there, and of course other studios that can dub beyond what Funimation has in Texas. That said, Funimation is the leader on selling discs, so that would be a loss for Crunchyroll.

This is a pretty major "if" though.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I don't know where that Saban DBZ dub thing is coming from. Funimation produced that dub with them. Their later 1999+ in-house stuff only came about because that 1996 "Saban" production found a home on Cartoon Network and they wanted more. Fukunaga and co. just decided to go cheap and hire a bunch of inexperienced people from Texas rather than continue on with production in Vancouver.

I'm sure Fukunaga will cry into a golden handkerchief after selling his company again for more than $100 million.

Crunchyroll was already starting to produce English dubs prior to the Funimation deal. Gintama┬░ was done in Vancouver by Ocean. Berserk was done in LA. Given how long Kabaneri is taking, I suspect that might also not be a Funimation production. If CR's deal with Funimation dies, they'll probably go back to overseeing production themselves.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

Good point.

11. Heeroyuy_Batman

Just wait till CBS or Disney buys Sony Pictures.

12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

...neither of which will happen.

13. AdrenalineRush1996

Please don't be like @brodie999. He has done similar comments like that.

#53 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  14. ms78

ms78 Member

Why does everyone think the Funimation and Crunchyroll deal will end? I thought Crunchyroll listed Sony as one of their partners.

15. Heeroyuy_Batman

I respectfully disagree. I think Sony will sell its entertainment division within the next ten years and Disney or CBS will buy it.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I made that comment because I believe Sony Pictures will get sold and that when their new owners take over, Funimation DVDs will be even much more expensive.

16. AdrenalineRush1996

Don't count on it. The only way to improve Sony Pictures is to restructure it than selling it. The first step for Sony to improve is to sell their Spider-Man rights back to Marvel.

Oh, you don't? Then I'm guessing that you haven't seen his thread about a Disney-Netflix merger that would rescue ESPN, which also included the idea of Disney buying Paramount and also Sony (you're not the only one who had the idea of Disney buying Sony Pictures) (http://www.toonzone.net/forums/posts/85427072/).

Also, Sony has denied rumours of a CBS acquisition.

• Useful Useful x 1
    #56 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  17. Towes

Towes New Member

Could be good. I hope the come out with some awesome new content.

18. Heeroyuy_Batman

I'm not surprised others had the same thoughts about Disney buying Sony Pictures. It makes a lot of sense. Disney would get the rights to Spiderman and Men in Black. They would be able to make Angry Birds and Smurfs movies and animated series. Disney would gain Sony Animation, Columbia Pictures, Tri-Star, a massive film and television library, and much more. Plus, it would probably cost no more than 10-15 billion dollars which would be less than the Capital Cities/ABC acquisition.

I've read some articles about Sony refuting the CBS rumors. However, this is an age of mass media acquisitions and Sony Pictures is too valuable for it not to be acquired eventually, especially with the Funimation acquisition.

19. AdrenalineRush1996

It doesn't make any sense because I don't want the Big Six US film studios to be reduced into the Big Five studios. The only part of Sony that Disney should buy is to have Marvel regain the film rights of Spider-Man. That is all.

I hope Disney debunks rumours that they would buy Sony Pictures.

20. ms78

ms78 Member

I don't think that Disney will buy Sony because I don't think that Sony fits with Disney. At most I see them making a bid for Spider-Man and Men in Black. I wouldn't be opposed to them trying to get Ghostbusters as well. I would love to see Marvel's take on them. I think that if Disney decided to make another major acquisition that it is going to be Hasbro. There have been rumors of it for a while and I think that Transformers and My Little Pony would fit in well with Disney. Imagine if they rebooted Transformers as part of the MCU. The fanboys would go crazy.

• Like Like x 1