1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sonic Unleashed Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PC!, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Think Sonic Adventure meets Sonic Rush.

2. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

The 360 demo is finally up.

I don't think the PS3 one is yet, though.

3. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

I'll be getting it tomorrow so I'll cross my fingers.

4. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

Now that the 360 demo is out, I finally got a chance to try it and see what all the hub-bub was about.

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised. It's neither as linear nor as ridiculously easy as I thought it would be, and I haven't run into a single glitch. Oh, and Sonic's mouth being fully rendered and on whatever side of his face the camera is tilted towards more is a neat touch. If I were to have any issues, it's that the enemies don't pose any threat whatsoever, but I'll assume that changes in the later stages. That, and the fact that Chip is the stupidest-looking Sonic character ever seen in a canonical game (Seriously, did Yuji Uekawa quit as character designer? Chip looks like he was drawn by a fan artist or something).

Overall, a rather fun game (the daytime stages, at least). Sonic's not completely back on track, but this is definitely miles better than any of the console games since SA1. Of course, I still have yet to play as the Werehog...

EDIT: Forgot, one more nitpick; No Spin Dash? Not even a way to roll around at all? :(

#624 R-Taco, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Ugh, I can't get above an A rank.

I've played about 5 times and tried a few different paths throughout.

It's pretty fun overall, though.

6. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

Wait... the PS3 version was dated for December 12th.... I saw it on sale YESTERDAY.

7. garfield15

Came out early I guess. I'm playing my reserved copy right now.

When I play as were-sonic, I feel like I'm playing a Hulk game with Kratos' blades. I keep thinking I'm going to hear "SONIC SMASH!"

(BTW, Hulk with Kratos' blades would be awesome)

8. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

Well, I suppose that since the Wii and 360 version also came out early, the PS3 version coming out early was to be expected.

Well from the looks of it you guys seem to be having fun with the game. Maybe that can help prove that IGN and Gamespot only rated the game super low because the reviewers wanted to act big.

9. garfield15

Something like that. I know I'm having a lot of fun even with the Were-hog levels. Sure they're slow and there is some puzzle solving involved but...pwning those little critters with all those moves is just so dang fun!

10. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

I wouldn't quite say that. After all, less than half the game is actually any fun. Still, 4/10 is a bit harsh. A 6 or 7 would be more fitting.

#630 R-Taco, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
  11. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

The demo on Xbox Live is fun. But they really should have included a werehog level too, so I could know how those feel. The fact that they didn't include one kind of gives me the impression they know people aren't going to like them too much. :|

I'll wait for this one to go down in price and pick up the 360 version.

12. kenjisalk

kenjisalk Aging Warhorse

Why can't they just make sonic 3D animated movies like that Werehog thing?

That thing was more entertaining to me than anything sonic related for quite some time.

13. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Because then the Archie/SatAM fans will demand they use such projects to continue their pet continuity and send SEGA unsolicited scripts as such.

14. Razor

Razor Active Member

I doubt Sega even knows much or cares about what SatAM fans do.

I think it's simply more likely that they don't want to throw money behind another animation project of large scale after Sonic X didn't do so well in its home country.

15. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

Large scale? THe budget on that show looked like the biggest poop I ever saw in my life. That was the worst example of hand drawn stuff in such a long time.

16. Radical Raven

Radical Raven Bow bow bow, bow bow bow...

That makes me chuckle. Chuckle, chuckle chuckle.

17. ChuckRoast

ChuckRoast Survivng After the Battle

The best thing about never reading reviews is that it's easier to form your own opinions on things.

I've got the PS2 Version since I have no Next Gen Console, and for what it was and the $30 price tag, it was pleased on how good it turned out. And the Warehog stages aren't as bad as people say.

18. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

So I haven't played this on the Wii since Christmas and wanted to see if I could get any further...I'm very dissapointed.
    It starts to become readily apparent that stuff was cut as the narrative starts to get messy. So we see Tails cornered by what seems fairly obviously a boss. He hides in the corner and...awkwardly cut to Werehog Sonic standing over the vanquished foes in what clearly seems to be a post-boss battle cut scene. Then it gets worse. Gone are the Tornado mini games and you rescue Profesor Pickle like 5 minutes after he's established as being kidnapped. Things just start feeling sloopy or uninteresting as you can tell levels and gameplay were cut. What chiefly seems to have been cut are Sonic's levels as you're constantly forced to play as the clumsy Werehog character, missing jumps and a lazy and awkward L and R button combat system.

This is just more fuel for me to get a more 'gamer' centric console if I can afford one down the line. The Wii's fun and all but it's completely killing the audience that came with it from previous consoles. This adaptation just comes off as flat and rushed after baiting you in with a promising start :shrug:

19. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

Well, if anything, be thankful you didn't have the Tornado levels. They're a QTE nightmare.

I still never made it past the Arabian night level. I was already so used to just punching away, that throwing water barrels at the fire enemies just seemed like too much work. :p Doubt I'll ever get back into this game. The werehog sections just kill it for me.

20. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Yeah, you're not missing much with the Tornado levels. The QTE is brutal, even for people that know their 360 button layout forwards and back.

As an owner of both the Wii and 360 versions, I can say with 100% conviction that the 360 version is infinitely superior. More Sonic levels, more depth, just plain more fun.