1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Sonic Unleashed Talkback

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PC!, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Feh, it's gotten to the point that I don't put any faith in what the reviewers say. It's obvious a vast majority of them complain about Sonic games just for the fact that it's the popular thing to do.

2. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Actually, you guys might want to check the GameFAQs reviews. All reviews for all versions are in the 7/10-9/10 range, save for one 4/10 and another 10/10 (both for 360 version).

I only own a Wii, but I'm thinking of getting this. Not right now, but down the road...

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Not only that, I never read IGN's reviews; they're biased towards what they personally want in a game, and what games should be; they think they are the authoritive voice of "game players", but I digress.

Back to topic, I'm thinking of renting the "hedgehog engine" version first, because I have reason to think that the "hedgehog engine" may just be a gimmick to sell what is essentially the exact same game (i.e., additional stages, sun/moon medals, playable hub worlds, sidequests, etc notwithstanding).

4. Uzemaki Goku

Uzemaki Goku Member

*sighs*

I love how people don't seem to respect opinions other than those that agree with their own.

First of all, the guy who reviewed the 360 version is a completely different person than the one who reviewed the Wii version, so therefore he'll have a different opinion.

Not everyone has to like this game. I don't know about this whole "ignorant is IGN" stuff and honestly I don't really care.

There are people who don't like this game. An Xbox live friend of mine said to me as he was playing through Sonic Unleashed: "Sonic isn't a good game..."

So yeah, not everyone holds these high and mighty praises.

I haven't played it, so I hold no opinion as well I should, but damn people, come off it, nobody respects other people's opinions anymore. :shrug:

5. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

Is it our fault he is reviewing a game in a biased way? A true review should base it's faults on bad control scheme, slippy control, and bad glitches. Those three things are what broke Sonic 06; now if I recall this game lacks, bad glitches, intense slippy controls, and a terrible control scheme. That's the way to run a good review yea I'm not a professional as he calls himself but if a person bases an entire review on opinion then your not reviewing it for everyone.

6. Razor

Razor Active Member

The hedgehog engine is a graphics engine, designed around the idea of keeping the graphics smooth while the character is moving at high speeds.

They've never touted it to be otherwise.

7. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Behold IGN way of fixing Sonic: Don't make the game for the kiddies (don't forget to add some mature brown and metal gray graphics) , make Sonic control like race car(because Sonic games are about racing like a race car) , make it semi first person and have Sonic collect COINS (funny I been calling them rings all these years. Thanks for correcting me IGN) to become Super Sonic. Man that IGN guy is genius. SEGA should fired Hashimoto and hired this guy :shrug:.

Seriously, that not gonna fix Sonic. Sonic Team has gotten closer to fix Sonic with Unleashed than anything that IGN guy had said. Oh and they are called RINGS not coins. Sonic been colleting them for almost 20 years I can't believe there someone who still call them coins.

#607 ShadowGUN, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  8. MJC

MJC Active Member

...so has anybody here actually PLAYED the game? :sweat:

9. R-Taco

R-Taco Just A Little Bit Crazy

Enough with the IGN bashing. This is the same crap that happened when '06 came out, and people need to wrap their heads around the idea that the reviewer just didn't like the game. That doesn't make him "biased".

10. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well for the video review, it felt more like something I would end up watching on YT personally. It felt like an amateur review. If people take the video review as professional, then I feel sorry.

11. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

06 was hated for glitches that could kill the gameplay and made the game nearly unplayable. Don't stick up for this bum because he has the same views as you. When you review a game you make sure it's not just repetitive; does being repetitive make the game unplayable? No.

12. Uzemaki Goku

Uzemaki Goku Member

You clearly didn't read everything he said:

"Well the truth is, everyone envisions the ideal Sonic game a bit differently, myself included."

He also admits that chances are, some will disagree with his ideas and that of course, these ideas may not turn out too good in execution.

Oh, it's a typo. Because you know those always happen on the internet. I probably even made some myself without knowing.

#612 Uzemaki Goku, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  13. R-Taco

Now, now, I'm not looking for trouble. But if you disagree with the review, then so what? Play the game. Enjoy it. You don't need to attack IGN just because they hold a different opinion.

14. Invidente 7

Invidente 7 Active Member

But video game reviewers are sell-outs

There's no such thing as a *different opinion*, especially when it comes to video games reviewers who are nothing but a bunch of elitists jerks who have played so many games that they want every damn game to exceed their ridiculous expectations, so yeah today's video game reviewers SUCK and Seanb#% is an stellar example of how much do they suck. :mad:

If you want a true somewha honest opinion of games, check out gamefaqs, they might not be right all the time but at least their opinion is free of any *external* (cough*Kane and Lynch scandal*cough) influence.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/review/945571.html

hmm, so far only 2 fours and the rest are 7s, 9 and 10s, not bad I hope this is the beginning of an new (and hopefully long) phase for good ol' sonic

15. R-Taco

You guys are calling them biased as if they have some other motive for rating Sonic games low.

Wait a second...

I used that twice in the same week? Crud.

16. thenewme93

thenewme93 Active Member

I've played the game..the day stages are fun and take me back to the Genesis days...and First-Person Sonic?? IGN needs to get better reviewers...

17. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

I played the 360 version at a friends house. And while I'll admit the game could use a few improvements... but the Day Time levels are freaking FUN. High speed Sonic action with nicely styled levels and smooth graphics. Exactly what I was wanting.

I even had a blast with the 2 Night levels I played. Though they would take some getting used to.

18. James Bester

James Bester Screaming for Vengeance

Personally, I've had a blast with the 360 version of this game. The day levels are insanely fun, especially the Spagonia day level, which is actually one of the most exciting Sonic levels I've ever played. I can guarantee that any Sonic Adventure fans out there would love this game. Yes, the werehog levels can get pretty repetitive, but they still are a lot more fun than the majority of the alternate characters used in the Sonic Adventure games. I have to say Sonic Unleashed has probably gotten the strangest set of reviews I've seen of any game in recent memory, but it definitely doesn't deserve a rating anywhere near the 4 to 5 category. It's impossible to compare this game to the nightmare known as Sonic '06. I wouldn't have a problem with the review if it wasn't on such a well-known popular site. It kinda makes Sega look bad for doing something right for once. Personally, I would give it something in the 8 range.

19. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

Wow Gamespot was pretty harsh on this game. They gave it lower score than Sonic 06. I'd play this over the other Sonic 3D games any day except SA1 and 2 for nostalgia value. 6 or 7 would be fine.

20. TKnHappyNess

TKnHappyNess Active Member

Gamespot only gives good reviews to Eidos games, no matter how crappy they are. Hence why Jeff got fired for his Kane and Lynch review. I'm thinking about putting the Wii version on my Christmas list, but how different is it compared to the other Sonic games? I'm a little wary when it comes to them now. The last one I got was Sonic Rush Adventure.