"Sonic The Hedgehog" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Cool Blue, Feb 14, 2004.

?

Rate And Comment!

1. *****

70.8%
  2. ****1/2

8.3%
  3. ****

4.2%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4.2%
  1. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Nice. Surprise to see Tyrus Flare. Normally it Gilius Thunderhead who does most of the Golden Axe representation. The creature above Red Arremer (Ghosts 'n Goblins) could be either from Monster Hunter or Panzer Dragoon.

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Check out the final update today.

[​IMG]

As people like me were guessing we're getting Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, Panzer Dragoon AND Skies of Arcadia. So yeah a lot of various games to crossover with. Kind of sad how most of the sega titles haven't really had any relevancy in.... years at best but good to see them here and can't wait to see how they interact with everyone especially as it's been made clear we're really getting the comic versions of the Sonic and Megaman worlds and not just the game ones. I just hope unlike the last arc this one also has more of an ending instead of just a "oh no reality's reset" sort of thing as yeah that was not a way to end a 12 part story at all.

EDIT: This also makes me really hope one day Archie bites the bullet and actually approaches Nintendo about doing comic deals with them. Seriously if there was a Worlds Collide 3 story, how awesome would it be if it was one that involved the worlds of Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metriod, Pokemon, Kirby, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus etc and we had a comic super smash brothers crossover? Considering this is going to be a crossover involving at least 12 other different franchises outside of Mega Man and Sonic, it's not like they can't say balancing all those characters would be difficult. And hey we've seen all of them interact in some form with true blue and the blue bomber before. Seriously if Nintendo is willing to have a Netflix legend of zelda show they might be down for something like this too.

3. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Nice. Could use some Virtua Fighter representation though.

It was mention last year, I think it was San Diego Comic Con, that Archie Comics approach Nintendo about making a Mario comic. Sadly Nintendo turn them down.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So as far as representation goes:

Sega:
    - Sonic The Hedgehog (Sonic Boom)
    - Billy Hatcher
    - Alex Kidd
    - Panzer Dragoon
    - Skies of Arcadia
    - Golden Axe
    - Nights

Capcom:
    - Mega Man (Mega Man X)
    - Street Fighter
    - Viewtiful Joe
    - Breath of Fire
    - Monster Hunter
    - Ghosts and Goblins
    - Okami

Wow...I was wondering how this crossover would differentiate itself from Worlds Collide and possibly be bigger, but I never expected that it would do so by bringing in more characters and worlds from different franchises. Now I have even more reason to be excited :D.

Shame we don't have any Valkyria Chronicles representation, but I can live with what we have ;).

Here's hoping this crossover can be as awesome and enjoyable as the last one and do well by all these characters and franchises :).

5. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

What I know is that Sonic will be turned into Sonic Man and while Mega Man becomes M 'egga Man.

There's only one question that remains: While the Boys in Blue duke it out, who's stopping the two schnooks that give scientists a bad name?

6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Rather surprised that this is going to be a megacrossover. It was amazing that Mega Man and Sonic would be in the same comic. Now this is making gaming history again.

7. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

I'm looking to read this awesome crossover :D
    It's great to see Nina from Breath Of Fire 3 in this

8. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I think I'll wait till the NYCC in October to check out this year's big crossover. They might have a 12-pack of the collection.

So far, there have been 3 exclusive NYCC variant covers for each issue of the series. I'd like to see what variant cover they have for it. If there were a fold-out poster included in the pack, that would be the icing on the cake.

It kinda begs the question as to what will be the aftermath of the crossover. I hope Dr. Egghead doesn't mess up like last time! What's more, I miss the characters exclusive to the comics like Julie-Su.

#708 Alonso Torrejon, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  9. bwrosas

bwrosas Member

Sonic The Hedgehog #283 Review.

What's this? An actualy text review?! Don't worry, I will do a video one later. But yes, I am doing a text version,

Now as far as the story goes, It begins with both Sally and Sonic doing a LIVE streaming broadcast to all the Freedom Fighters and G.U.N. forces out there, letting them all know that they have all 7 chaos emeralds and all 7 Gaia Keys needed to save/restore the world.

They inform them that Cream, Tails and Big have traveled to The Kingdom of Acorn to keep the 14 items needed to restore safe and sercue in the kingdom's Castle Vault till needed.

And that they just need to check in with Knuckles and Amy and find out their progress on getting the shatted shards of the Master Emerald, so Angel Island does't fall into the ocean, but remains in the sky.

However what they don't know is the Tails Doll is transmitting the footage to Eggman, who has just relocated Phage from "Spark of Life" and brates her on her recent failures, however as he brates her, Orbot informs of the Footage the Tails Doll has sent. And by viewing this footage, Eggman comes up with a final plan to win out.

Overall, this was a decent Prelude issue to "Panic in the Sky", and something tells me, both Eggman and Freedom Fighters are for quite the rollar coaster ride come 287 in October.

This also was the first issue in a while that was one soild story, no second story. I guess this tells that that's how the "Panic In The Sky" Saga will be done.

Overall not a bad issue.

Mod Note: Post merged with the original talkback thread.

10. bwrosas

bwrosas Member

Review of Sonic The Hedgehog #287 (Panic In The Sky Part 4)/The Shattered World Crisis Finale

Overall, This final part was pretty good. I mean if you played Sonic Unleashed, with the execption of the location of the fight with Dark Gaia, it somewhat followed it closely to a "T".

I did like how Bunnie, Tails and Antione were able to convice Sally that they and she did everything they could and that so far they got a minor victory out of it with Eggman losing a majority of his super-badniks and his EggmanLand base, which she did agree with and in turn said all they need to do now is lend their faith and support to Sonic and Chip who are battling Dark Gaia.

Now Eggman's reaction I did enjoy, because he did acknowledge that his plans had gone down the tubes, and that he can't really do anything in the way of striking fear into his enemies with his Death Egg so low on power and basically running on fumes, which Bunnie did note on eariler in the issue.

I will give credit for the subtle hints at a possible Sonic Lost World Adapation by Eggman, before he retreated to the Death Egg, so he could be out of range of Dark Gaia and the Freedom Fighters, if they started to rally.

The final act in the issue was done very well. I did feel the emotion coming from it as Chip was saying Goodbye to all the Freedom Fighters, thanking them all for they gave to him and thus helping him to remember what he's there to protect and watch over. The reaction by Relic, was priceless.

I did enjoy the what seems to be a splash page of Chip restoring and the happy reactions from everyone, well except Eggman, who had a look of "Oh, Phooey, It's Not Fair" on his face, while Obot and Cubot tried to console him, as if to tell him "Well, better luck next time boss".

The final panels of the story I did enjoy, because it was the main SatAM Freedom Fighters celebrating and the sun rising over a restored world, with the last page being Chip hugging a restored world.

So overall, the final part of Panic in The Sky, the Shattered World Crisis Finale was done very well, and does lead into a much needed break for the characters before their next big adventture.

Overall, I do recommend reading The Panic In The Sky Mini-Series, although it may seem rushed in some issues, it does do a decent job of wrapping things up.

Rating 8.5/10 for Part 4 and 8/10 for the entire Mini-Series Finale.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's talk about this near 3 year arc (over 3 years if you include Some of the Sonic Universe Arcs).

First of all, this is a storyarc that could have easily been done within a year's time, just like the Iron Dominion arc was done in, or even within the span of 6 issues. But did Ian want to do that, nope, instead he wanted to make his masterpiece that he didn't get to make with The Mecha Sally arc, due to the behind the scenes lawsuits and thus wanted to achive it with this one, and he did.

But you see the one problem with this, was the fact that it ran for too long, which was the main complaint of sereval fans/readers who kept wondering when it would finally end.

I mean Ian and those helping him to write this overall arc, could have ended it at anytime before this, but they didn't , and again because Ian wanted to create his masterpiece to be remembered by, should he ever decied to step down as head writer of the Sonic Comics.

Now you can say he wanted to take his time to restablish the world and the characters to everyone, and that might be true, but it shouldn't take this long to do so.

Even Marvel, DC and IDW don't do this and even if they do, they seperate it by chapters, for ex. 6 issues can equal 1 chapter, and so on. They also don't interupt said storyline to do a crossover that really doesn't have nothing to do with said storyarc, and is only there to promote games that no one remembers that well, espeically if they're of this new generation.

Point Blank, Ian Flynn wanted his Endgame story. And despite the length of it, he got it. But one has to remember, when Ken Penders did Endgame, which many may consider his masterpiece or not, he did it within the span of 4 issues, and it worked fine. Because it accomplished what it set out to do, and folks still talk about it to this day.

The one thing that I believe kept this storyarc from ending alot sooner, was the aformentioned Crossover between Sonic and Mega Man. Let's face it, we all knew a follow up/sequel to their first crossover Worlds Collide was going to happen, whither we wanted it to or not. But I don't think we thought it would happen in the middle of the freakin' Shattered World Crisis Arc, but yet it did. And as I mentioned earlier, didn't really have nothing to with Shattered World Crisis after it was all said and done.

I mean when you face the fact of it, what Archie and Ian are doing now with The upcoming Mega Drive book, Next Level, they easily could have done with 6 48-page comics, centered around this side story of a crossover, thus they wouldn't have to interupt the main flow of the Shattered World Crisis Arc, or any arc in the other 3/4 comic books that were used for it.

In the end, this crossover was nothing more than a mandate by Archie, Capcom and Mostly Sega, and those that wrote the crossover know that's the truth.

Let me close this out by saying this, I really did like Shattered World Crisis, I thought it was a decent way to attempt to fix the mess that the lawsuits left behind, as well as reintroduce the SatAM Cast to long-time fans and introduce them for the first time to newer fans.

I was one of many that did enjoy the moden redesigns for the SatAM characters that done for this soft retconned/rebooted world, and did enjoy how some of the SatAM cast got additional characteristics added to them, like Sally not knowing how to cook well, or Bunnie knowing how to sing and play gutiar, those I did enjoy.

So again, overall I did enjoy the arc and some of the side arcs, like Spark of Life, which gave some much needed background and character development to/for Nicole, which many, like myself did enjoy and I will admit, some didn't.

But the overall take-away with this discussion, along with the review above/before this, is that this entire arc could have been done and over with a lot sooner than it was. I mean if Ian can get his point across with his Iron Dominion arc within the span of 11 months (14, if count the Journey to the East Arc in Sonic Universe), then he could have done it here. I mean even his #175-#177 arc got the job done within the span of 3 issues.

So in the end, let's just hope he doesn't go overboard again, he says he won't, well let's pray he keeps his word.

And that's may overall take on Shattered World Crisis. Good, got the job done, but was way to long for it's good.

11. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Has there been a recent rumor Archie comics finally pulled the plug on the Sonic comic book series as of January 2017?

12. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Rumors and the fact I haven't found any comics in months now. But there has been no official announcements regarding the status of the series, either or not it's really canceled or what.

13. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

[1] I get the previews comic magazine every month and I haven't seen any sonic comics
    in it whitch has me worried

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

For the record, the last issues of the Sonic comic books were published by Archie in January 2017 - Sonic the Hedgehog #290 and Sonic Universe #94.

15. Neo Ultra Mike

To be fair for all we know this could just be the comics hit with a massive load of delays. There were a couple last year when Archie had to restructure the artistic team and groupings when they had to give up on that planned donation drive to get new Jughead and Betty and Veronica comics (another comic's that had like several dozen delays BTW) and Reggie comics out and still went through with them despite not seemingly having all the money so obviously some things had to be retooled. Which included dropping some comic lines as well like the Sonic Boom and Mega Man comics. But that seemed to work in the end and do well the company overall and they aren't pushing a lot of new specific titles now.

However seems like they're trying to push other deals with like Marvel and yeah seems like the only delays majorly besides the already mentioned B&V are with the Sonic comics. I don't want to be pessismistc as I want to believe the comics are continuing on and this is just a snafu since the Sonic Comics were still doing well and obviously were planned to continue on for quite awhile. So if Archie is pulling the plug they are doing it in a really sneaky and honestly awful jerky way that paints them in a really poor manner. Especially since hoenstly Sonic was the most consistent book they've had since it's inception and to cancel it just sort of it's 300th issue feels all sorts of terrible so again guess we'll have to wait and see how things progress with the books.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mediahead

Mediahead New Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Neo Ultra Mike

Also lapses in contracts which seems to be a CONSTANT issue now with the Sonic comics considering a misplaced or technical non contract allowed Ken Penders to take all the characters he created for the comic and spin them off into his own story and now this contract issue with Sega. I guess that at least is something that would explain them just being cancelled without much that can be done or talked about now and hope that's an issue solved sooner rather then later as I would hate for the comics to be done in of all things due to not having a proper licenscing contract. Again this is what happens when you publish a book for decades longer then intended: not realizing the specific time scale and allowing things to lapse much longer then you should of.

18. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And as of June 2017 Archie is still negolating on a new deal with Sega to keep the Sonic comic book rights still in indefinate hiatus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

In July 2017: Rumor has it there could be a word about the Archie Sonic fate although Archie comics is not slated for the first time in years to not take part in the upcoming 2017 San Diego Comic-Con.

UPDATE: Archie comics will REALLY attend the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con after all! But for a 1 hour panel about Archie comics - maybe the fate of Archie's rights to the Sonic the Hedgehog comics will be mentioned there?

#719 dth1971, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  20. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!