1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sonic The Hedgehog" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Cool Blue, Feb 14, 2004.

?

Rate And Comment!

1. *****

70.8%
  2. ****1/2

8.3%
  3. ****

4.2%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4.2%
  1. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Despite 20 years, the SatAM characters are still very popular. The reason I read the comic was because it a spiritual successor to SatAM, and the current comic satisfies.

2. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

satAM charters are awesome fleshed out and deeply layered and not 1 dimensional unlike the game charters

3. Gatomon41

Funny how the comic has only recently redesigned the characters to match up with games, only for Sonic Boom to show up and give new designs for the game characters :p

4. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Well, really the only one we'd need a real explanation of (since the rest are more wardrobe changes than anything) is Knuckles, but he's appearing in the next Universe arc and looks the same as ever, so...

Though, if the news that Boom is just a spin-off branch of the franchise is correct, we probably won't see these designs in the main comic beyond the usual playful nods. However, it's very likely we might see a separate Sonic comic in the near future for Boom like we had for Sonic X.

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Get rid of Sally Acorn? NEVER!

6. Gatomon41

A friend of mine was not happy about Sally's Redesign. She thought it was rather anti-feminine that all the female characters have to wear clothes, while all the guys don't. Keep in mind said friend is also a girl.

Overall, I still thought it was strange that Sally - even in SatAM - was the one that didn't have more clothes. For almost 20 years, she got away with just a vest and boots.

7. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

[​IMG]

Curse you, Archie Comics. Now I want to see a animated version of this cover

8. Gatomon41

^ That's pretty cool looking.

9. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Good work, Archie. Keep it up.

10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It's been specifically stated that the Sonic Boom continuity, even the Sonic Boom game, is separate from the regular game canon that the main Sonic Team is using. And how the Sonic Boom game isn't even really being made or even released for Japanese audiences. So yeah, the main line of games designs won't change to reflect that so neither will the comics. Also since Universe is going strong I doubt we'll see a spin off Sonic Boom comic strip from Archie (as I really doubt there will be THREE Sonic comics going at once) and if there is references to Sonic Boom, it will either be as a joke in Off Panel or just being described as taking place in it's own dimension. Just like how the Sonic Underground world was shown to be it's own universe seperate from the main "Archiveverse" seen in Super Sonic 10. Or heck that's the same thing as the Sonic X comic as shown in the last issue of that series which yeah IMHO only lasted so long to prove to Archie that a second Sonic series could work well thus why we even got Universe. So don't expect any major changes to the canon, especially one still in the process of setting up the new status quo after "Worlds Collide."

#650 Neo Ultra Mike, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  11. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But we will never know how Sally Acorn got de-roboticized from her Mecha Sally form.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

She was never roboticized in the first place in the new timeline. That's how she got de-roboticized.

14. Gatomon41

15. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from that, the comic exclusive characters add something in that you can do more diversed stories with them, compared to the SEGA characters whom the higher ups don't want much/any changes from the games.

16. Gatomon41

Just picked up Issue 257, with the CGI cover! :D

It's probably the closest we'll ever get to the SatAM characters ever getting into a Sonic game, but it's so cool.

17. Gatomon41

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it looks like we're finally getting a proper Unleashed adaption. We have the planet coming apart, Professor Pickle, the Gaia Manuscripts, and it looks like Sonic is slowly turning into the Werehog. I think this is the first real game adaption in the Sonic comics since the Sky Patrol Arc in Universe :).

I wonder how long it'll be before Sonic fully transforms? Maybe the next Milestone issue? I'm also quite curious to see how long the adaption lasts and how much it'll be different from the game.

So I guess Big and Cream are now members of the FF. Good for them ;)!

And, for those wondering, Ian Flynn released a list of the games that haven't happened yet in the new continuity:

- Sonic Unleashed

- Sonic Lost World

- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Though for the record, he's not going to try and shoe-horn in some of the more obscure games or R :sweat:.

19. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I also don't see him doing anything with The Dark Brotherhood either as last I checked, Ken Penders tried suing them as well because he felt Bioware took ideas from his comics to put in the game that really upset him. And if one of the reasons we're getting this big continuity reshift is to remove all of his influence on the comics, they aren't going to adapt that into the storyline. I also would say it's weird that they're actually trying for an Unleashed apation now but eh even pre genesis waves, Flynn loved trying to work in adapations of the games like trying to fit more of Sonic Adventure 2 into the first Sonic Universe shadow arc. And now in Universe doing an arc based on Shadow the Hedgehog (though not using Black Doom since from what I heard he can't use that, same with Eggman Nega. Which makes no sense as honestly Sega isn't even doing anything with those characters so why isn't Flynn allowed to use them? Man these legalities are such pointless bullcrud) so it's not surprising to see more of that. Still seems like though since some have memories of "the other world" he's still leaving in the possibility of maybe at one point going back to that continuity maybe if the Penders thing ever blows down. Doubt it but unlike the DC comics reboot I appreciate that it's still an option.

20. Gatomon41

The Sonic Encyclopedia did include some elements from the game, and even factored that Brotherhood into the timeline being the Science caste of the Echinda Civilization.

Alas, with the changes in the comic, it's either going to ignored or sent into Exile.