1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sonic The Hedgehog" Comic Book Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Cool Blue, Feb 14, 2004.

?

Rate And Comment!

1. *****

70.8%
  2. ****1/2

8.3%
  3. ****

4.2%
  4. ***1/2

8.3%
  5. ***

4.2%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

4.2%
  1. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Remember, it's actually 25 Years Later.

The only TPB is Sonic: Beginnings (The first mini-series), and a better cardstock version of Sonic Firsts! It's a shame; so many arcs could easily be TPBed (Endgame, Mecha Madness, Sonic Adventure, any Knuckles story, etc.).

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yeah, Archie should do what Dark Horse is doing with their Marvel Star Wars reissues, and collect every issue in massive volumes. That would help get the series out to people who missed the Pink Sally era.

3. Chad Bonin

I love how they actually explained how Sally was pink for a buncha issues.

4. Lord Dalek

I can't remember, did they ever explain how she was blond for the first 4?

5. Chad Bonin

She fell in a vat of chemicals, turning her bright red and blonde. After multiple washings, she got her pink and black fur. Finally, she got all the chemicals out and returned to the brown and red one we know.

6. Lord Dalek

Musta happened on the TV show too*. :)

*For anyone who doesn't know, the pilot of SatAM Sonic, features the OG Archie Sally.

7. Chad Bonin

Picked up 133. Just imagine Spaz drawing this...

8. UberMonkey

UberMonkey Pointin' is kinda rude, pal.

Random ramblings about Sonic...

Was the pilot aired? I don't remember seeing at as a kid, I think I probably saw it on the internet first.. but considering that probably means it aired on USA, I'm going to guess it was on ABC at some point. It wasn't the first episode aired, though. I remember watching the Saturday Morning Preview thing on TGIF the night before, and then staying up the next day to watch. I can't tell you which episode it was off the top of my head, but I could probably identify it if I saw it.

EDIT: Some sites list the episode with the earliest airdate as Sonic Boom, so, make of that what you will.

Issue 25, the Sonic CD adaptation, is probably my favorite issue. I know some storylines are probably cooler (Mecha Madness comes to mind), but I just really like the atmosphere presented in the issue, and how it actually made an effort to resemble the games, even if this did differ from the rest. I recall the art being all-Spaz was a pretty big deal too. Some funny jokes, a lot of "easter eggs" in the background art, just fun. The credits page filled with all the characters and such up to that point was pretty cool treat.

I remember thinking E.V.E. was a cool character, and liking that issue. During my time in the fandom, I remember many discussions about the possibilties of that character. I haven't read the comic in forever, but I heard they brought her/it back.. how'd that go?

Also, I think Sonic the Comic had some drama, although my knowledge on that series is only from summaries and the occasional scan I've seen. But didn't they have Knuckles erase the memories of Tikal, the only person who could tell him about his heritage or something? And killing off Johnny Lightfoot. I remember seeing what they did with Chaos and being really unimpressed, though. And the Super-Sonic-Is-An-Evil-Demon thing seemed odd too. Eh.

On a final note, I'll say the last issue I picked up and read was the Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation, which I thought was pretty slick. I guess I have a soft spot for most of the game-related issues, come to think of it. Heh.

9. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Chaos was changed to fit him in with the continuity the comic had built up. Rather then have him be the protector of the Chao who went crazy after the Echidnas killed them to try and get the Emeralds, Chaos became a former member of the Drakkon Empire (a race of fish people with robot bodies), which had been introduced at the end of the Sonic 3D adaptation. The Drakkon's had fought with Knuckle's ancestors for the Chaos Emeralds. One of the Drakkon troops got into an accident with the Emeralds, granting him a powerful shape-shifting water body if he got all 7.

Super Sonic was evil because of the role the Emeralds played in the Europe continuity. In that, Sonic started off as a brown hedgehog who enjoyed running. On one of his frequent outings he discovered the lab of Dr Ovi Kintobot, a thin and friendly human scientist. Kintobor was working on sealing all the worlds evil into the 6 Emeralds he had been able to find. He and Sonic became friends and they ended up performing tests to increase his speed with an experimental pair of Super Sneakers. The experiment made him go so fast that it changed his skin to blue and grafted most of his spikes togethor into larger spikes. With his new speed, Sonic attempted to find the 7th Emerald to help Kintobor.
    One day whilst sitting around the lab, Sonic got hungry and asked if Kintobor had any food. He had only one thing- a rotten egg from the fridge. As Kintobor walked off with the egg (to try and make it eadible or bin it), he tripped on one of the wires of his machine. This caused an explosion which shocked Kintobor, combining him, the egg and the evil energy. The result was Kintobor's exact opposite- Dr Ivo Robotnik. He attempted to grab Sonic but he was too fast and managed to escape. Soon after this the events of the first game took place.
    With the Emeralds in his possesion, Sonic started researching them with the aid of Porker and Johnny. However, keeping all the Emeralds close togethor was dangerous and with a burst of Chaos energy they warped back to the Special Zone. Sonic took most of this blast and the evil from the Emeralds turned him into Super Sonic, a near indestructible and evil version of himself. However the effects were only temporary so he later turned back. From that point extreme stress would turn him into Super Sonic until he calmed down. The Super Sonic plot reached boiling point when Sonic accidentally absorbed energy from all the Emeralds including the Master and Super went on a murderous rampage. The story ended with Super and Sonic having to be split apart.

10. UberMonkey

UberMonkey Pointin' is kinda rude, pal.

Some of what you said I knew about. But, like I said, I really don't know much else outside what I've seen on the internet. I'm pretty sure I'd get a kick out of reading the Fleetway comics, just because I'm still a pretty big Sonic fanboy. I had figured that while I seemed wish-washy on some of the concepts, the probably made sense continuity-wise, like you've confirmed.

Yea, see, part of me thinks that idea of Super Sonic is strange, but the storylines you mention sound pretty freaking cool. I guess that foreign-ness of the whole thing is really part of it's allure. Plus, I think most of the things I follow end up having a pretty sweet UK comic behind them - Transformers was like that, too.

11. Lord Dalek

From what I can remember, Head or Tails (the pilot) was broadcast as the final episode of the first season. ABC has (or rather had) an infurating habit of airing episodes out of order.

BTW- I hate to tell you this HellCat, but Fleetway stole most of it's continuity from us. Here's the proof: http://www.sonichq.org/newsite/comics/images/first.php

12. Chad Bonin

Yeah, I have the EGM that that comic ran in.

13. Lord Dalek

Keep it, it's a historical document.

14. Cool Blue

Cool Blue Grand Master

Honestly, I hardly know a thing about any other sonic the hedghog other than Sega and Archie. I know a bit on Magna, but Fleetway is my most sonic drained Subject. All I knew was Super Sonic was evil and the characters were different. I think there was a red robitic sonic. Any of you know about him.

15. Lord Dalek

No idea, Fleetway ceased production on Sonic the Comic some time ago, so I may never know.

16. Chad Bonin

Fleetway info is hard to come by. Maybe it's because it's British, maybe because it pales in comparison to Archie, in both art (Well, pales to the major team of Spaz, Best, Axer, and Gray) and story...

17. Lord Dalek

18. Chad Bonin

Yeah, I know of Sonic HQ.

19. Lord Dalek

#59 Lord Dalek, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2004
  20. Toon Hermit

Toon Hermit Always jaded