Sonic SatAM Should Be Restarted

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Rainbow Dash Fan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Rainbow Dash Fan

Rainbow Dash Fan New Member

the Archie Comics series was a fine substitute but characters got screwed over and now SEGA is forcing it to be less like the original cartoon.

like I said on the Sonic Boom thread, I don't hate comedy but that genre isn't the best for character development and depth.

ToonReal, Monte and one user on the TGWTG forum, said that Sonic fails when they try to do serious stories. Well, Satam obviously worked because it was loved and is still the best Sonic cartoon show but popular opinion. also, how has it aged besides Sonic's slang which is very minor?

and Sorry if the title of the thread comes off the wrong way, not sure what else to call it and mods have my permission to change it.

2. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I wasn't saying Satam was awful, it was arguably the best attempt at a 'dark' Sonic, but I do think it's really overrated at times. There's plot holes, lack of emotional depth and most of the characters are deceptively one dimensional (Sonic and Sally is another 'dumb male vs smart female' chemistry seen in endless 90s cartoons, Antoine is just a bastion of negative aspects and most of the others they couldn't even be bothered with so are just sorta there). These things often come in comedy takes as well, but they don't rely as much on it being much more, serious takes suffer for not having a tight plot (not as many will complain if something in AoSth doesn't quite make sense). Some of the action and interactions are pretty good, the final episode for example, but I don't see it living up to being the 'blockbuster epic' it's creator actually claimed it to be.

Let's be fair, endless serious stories in the comic and other dark takes are dissected by fans due to plot holes and wall banger moments due to giving the pretense it is more well knit and elegant a piece of writing than it really is. Maybe one day someone will be able to translate Sonic's mythos into a mature setup and make it gold, but it needs far better writers and less pretentious outlook at this point. Until then, Sonic does well being whimsical (or whimsical with a tad bit of serious like SA1 or Unleashed).

3. Rainbow Dash Fan

that's not exactly saying it failed by trying to be serious like I said others have assumed just because that happens for the games. and it might be a stretch but I can think of at least one way to fill the plot holes. the new cartoon has zero continuity, thus, no character depth.

and what was said on the other thread makes me thing it was SEGA's fault for SatAM's flaws as they force Sonic to be completely detached from the drama. again, if something tragic happens, why shouldn't Sonic angst on it? SEGA needs to understand what makes good story telling or a character relatable.

and Satam is still considered the best Sonic cartoon.

how would you suggest fixing this?

4. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I doubt SEGA made them completely nuance Sonic's character. The only thing I remember them having a strict taboo against was crying (and even then more just angsty 'bawling your eyes crying' than dignified single tear crying which was seen even in Sonic X) which they felt broke his character. Comic and Satam Sonic is still stuck with a load of gratuitous angst and outbursts from attempts to be serious so I don't think they have much of a restriction there. Hell in the games themselves Sonic was in the midst of a BSOD for losing Elise in 2006.

Add to that when Sonic didn't give enough emotional reactions, neither did anyone else, even the characters they had completely free reigns over (Sonic was actually the only one who shown despair over Cat in Sonic Boom for example). And other annoying traits such as his Flanderized arrogance and totally radical nineties slang also seemed to be the creation of the writers than any enforcement of SEGA. Too many people are so quick to use SEGA's mandates as a scapegoat for half hearted writing.

Sonic can have foibles and personality, but it come as much from comedy. After all Sonic at heart is a wacky character. Hell look at the recent game Lost Worlds, that had some decent development of Sonic and even a tad dramatic spotlight without ever going over the top dark and serious. I don't think Boom is yet doomed to be one note gags until we've seen what it can do.

5. Rainbow Dash Fan

well, SEGA keeps Sally and Sonic from getting serious which will be a great way for both to have character development. and don't say the X Years Later arc isn't cannon, it is in the sense that it's an alternate universe and what happens to the main timeline doesn't effect it. and Sonic DID only have a single tear in the cartoon but SEGA still apperently threw a fit.

someone should tell all of this to SEGA.

and back in '93, the franchise didn't have a real spirit to be faithful to, thus, Satam can easily be called the definative Sonic product.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  6. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I don't feel SonSal gives a huge amount of character development to either, we saw how a 'developed' relationship got for them in the midpoint of the comics, more or less 24/7 making out and saccharine remarks at each other. Even if MXYL is canon I'd rather it wasn't, it pretty much represents what I hate about the duo in full throttle, Sally 'correcting' Sonic and having her way justified constantly, that incarnation was almost an envision of what the comics would do to Sonic without SEGA's mandates, having Sally basically succeed in doing away with all his misguided individual traits and turning him into a male version of herself, something that seems the one direction 'meddling spouse' archetypes should never be granted (they did the same for Khan when with her, and Antoine with Bunnie, this is what they view as Character Development, getting a girlfriend that changes you and dilutes all your foibles and traits until you're a blank unintrusive nothing that obeys normal standards).

I don't remember hearing anything about SEGA throwing a fit about Sonic X, in fact from what I know the games staff played part in making it. Satam's case in comparison was a more harsh breakdown.

7. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

The show's truly a product of it's time, leave it in the past where it belongs. If you want to see the "story" continued with the same characters read the comic.

8. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

I think Sonic and The Dude has more in common than the rest of them. The slang is supposed to be of dramatic effect, coding him as this underground icon with a subtle environmentalist message.

Even Nostalgia Critic loved SatAM more than AoStH.

9. Rainbow Dash Fan

again, the comics are almost nothing like SatAM anymore. and canon or not, SEGA clearly approved of Sonic and Sally being together in XYL. so, it can happen and someone can do it right. and the reboot should be undone because a lot of characters are erased from existence but because of the no angst rule, I'm guessing none of the characters care.

and Sonic had a reason for that breakdown in Satam, what is SEGA's problem?

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

This. Completely.

Not every cartoon is timeless. Thankfully, 20 years later Sonic is still with us, but he (and we) really don't need that show. Sonic SatAM looked, sounded, everything but smelled like the 90's. Some things are just best left in the era in which they thrived, SatAM is definitely one of them; is anybody clamoring for the return of Saved by the Bell, Video Power, Full House or Steve Urkel?

I really don't get why some fans want Sonic to be all dark, angst-ridden and serious (whenever anyone has tried that, it just comes off as pretentious to me), but for those who want that, that's what the comic exists for.

11. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

OK. You begged for it.

First of all, compare Sonic SatAM with Captain Planet. Which one is more a product of its time again? Which one provides the environmental message better?

Yuji Naka told us in an interview that Sonic is all about Science vs Nature and that mindset is as timeless as it can be. SatAM didn't hammer us with that, because that would otherwise kill all the drama and tensions that was presented in there.

Sonic SatAM made me and a whole lot of others aware of the environment more than any Captain Planet episode had ever done.

12. Rainbow Dash Fan

also, what about the characters or story of SatAM is dated? besides the slang.

and again, the comics are being made to be like the games now.

13. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

Sonic SatAm ended 20 years ago, it's time to move on

The series was indeed a product of it's time, to be exact, the result of the state the franchise was in.
    There really wasn't much lore back then, and thus the series creators could do whatever they wanted.
    However, the series has evolved since, and thus there is no point of re-threading old ground.

The games by themselves now have enough of their own lore to carry several seasons worth of a show, and as such we no longer need the crutch that was the old series.

It's better left as but a footnote in the franchises history, at most to be referenced as a joke from time to time

14. Rainbow Dash Fan

that last bit could be taken insultingly.

and again, the comics are too far away from the cartoon to be a substitute anymore.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

1. Calm down.

2. This thread isn't about cartoons which teach kids about the environment, nor did I ever mention that subject, so I don't know why you did.

3 If you enjoyed SatAM and its' continuity, the comics are still around. Read and enjoy them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  16. Rainbow Dash Fan

but the comic was only good because it started as a substitute for Satam. SEGA got rid of almost every plot element that made it like Satam. they should either reboot the cartoon or settle the despute with Ken Pender.

17. HORNSM2C20D7Y8

HORNSM2C20D7Y8 THE LAST MAJOR

I think some of y'all are missing one of RDF's points, which is:

Nowadays, except for the charas originant within SatAm, the ACPI comicbook take on the STH mythos is NO LONGER SPIRITUALLY LINKED TO SatAm.

Lately, since what has come to be called "the Pendering", I've followed things Sonic rather heavily. And, lately, ACPI has been, in Black parlance, "doin what SEGA say do".

Adaptions of the games are now the thing.

The spiritual child of SatAm, if you care to look, has been/is a WebComic called, IIRC, SEA3ON. It intends to be the "Third Season" of SatAm.

18. Rainbow Dash Fan

never head of that new thing. and thanks for understanding my point. but I hope the new thing doesn't go with the original idea of Sally falling for someone else. may have worked 20 years ago but it'd be a bad idea now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  19. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Did you really have to use such a worthless strawman like Captain Planet, ESPECIALLY when that show is worse and doesn't deserve to be mentioned anywhere?!

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

it still clings too heavily to the SatAm continuity to be a proper representation of the games
    this is also why I don't believe the accusations of SEGA's meddling, seeing how if they wanted the comic to be like the games, they'd just re-boot the entire thing (which I think they should)