1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Songs you like with lyrics you hate

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Peter Paltridge, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

They caught the couple who had been joyriding around the southern US today:
    US teens on alleged crime spree captured in Florida

If you haven't been following it, an 18-year-old teen and his 13-year-old girlfriend ran away together when their parents disapproved of their union and drove from Kentucky to Georgia, then down to Florida, stealing to survive.

And I can't help but think, "there was a Rod Stewart song glorifying this exact life decision." I doubt either of them know who Rod Stewart even is, but I still think it was irresponsible and dumb of Stewart to imply abandoning everything as a teen and escaping to nowhere with your minor girlfriend is going to work out perfectly.

Then there's that cheating song from the 80's....I don't know who sang it, or the title, but it's probably called "Run To You". The guy in the song talks about how perfect his marriage is and how sweet and nice his wife is, but that he's cheating on her anyway because the sex is so good. The song is very catchy. But I want to punch the man in the face.

I'm sure we all have songs we love to groove to on the radio but the lyrics make us a bit uneasy. What are yours?

2. quiteliterally

Are you talking about the Bryan Adams song "Run To You"? If the video is anything to go by, he was singing about a guitar.

Off the top of my head..."Fireflies" by Owl City has some of the most painfully, disgustingly mawkish lyrics I've ever heard, and yet I reeeeally like the synths at the start. So much so that I even bought the "Ocean Eyes" album, only to discover that every single song on there has exactly the same problem. The whole thing was just a massive dry heave, and my copy really should have ended up on ebay by now. And yet I cannot possibly bring myself to hate "Fireflies" because those opening synths are so damned charming.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that's interesting. "It's so damn easy makin' love to you...."

I guess that shouldn't surprise me about Bryan.