Songs that are/were overplayed on the radio

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by SparkleMan, Aug 14, 2016.

1. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

What are some overplayed songs are the radio?
    We all know one obvious one...

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Around here it is Its turn down for what.

3. SparkleMan

Justin Timberlake

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

A while back I had to change the channel everytime I heard "Good Life" on the radio. I hate that song.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I remember liking "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peaz when it aired on the radio, but after some time it started to bore me because of the song's overplaying. Ditto for "Jai Ho" for Slumdog Billionaire, which was even played by the end of 2009, though the film came out at the start of the year.

Then we have songs that are linked to sporting competitions. I don't remember how it was with Nelly Furtado's "Com Uma For├ža" after Euro 2004, but I remember that Shakira's "Waka Waka (This Time For Africa)" was overplayed even a couple of months after the 2010 World Cup ended and we currently have that problem where radio station still play the official Euro 2016 song (by David Guetta) though the competition ended a little over a month ago.

6. SparkleMan

I remember Wildest Dreams was overplayed.

7. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Whatever song I don't like in the top charts I guarantee I'm going to think is overplayed.

I've heard Treat You Better (which I initially thought was okay) so many times it's annoying now.

8. jaylop97

Usually any song my favorite radio station plays once tends to be later played over and over in time, like at times an Ariana Grande song.

9. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

Man I'm glad I don't listen to the radio.

10. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Stairway to Heaven on pretty much any "classic rock" station.

11. jaylop97

I can't even remember the last thing I song I listened in the radio, I think it would have to be one that is used for a lot of car sells.

12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

If Todd in the Shadows reviewed it, you've probably heard it.

I never listen to Top 40 stations anymore. The DJs recite the same recycled script and playlist every day. There's two colleges around me with their own jazz stations; I just listen to those instead.

13. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

I tend to listen to Beats 1 and BBC Radio 1 sometimes, and their playlists are pretty diverse. Drake is way too overplayed though, because he is the spokesperson for Apple Music and the most succesful artist of the year. Too bad he fired his ghostwriters, cause all of his recent releases has been lazy and repetetive

14. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

Yeah, after hearing his "Worst songs of 2015" picks I immediately knew I had to avoid the Marvin Gaye song and anything Meghan Trainor post-All About That Bass. I just listen to smooth jazz, demoscene and Japanese community FM stations now.

15. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

I haven't listened to radio stations that play any of today's pop/rock in at least ten years. So I can only speak in regards to classic stations.

The number one overplayed song is The Joker by Steve Miller Band. Although I'll admit, I hate that song to death and hated it the very first time I heard it. So playing it at all is overplaying it in my mind. Regardless, I think it objectively is overplayed. Stations around here play it very frequently. And it's soooo bad.

There are other bad classic songs that are overplayed on the radio, but I stopped listening to radio a few months ago so I can't pull them off the top of my head. Aside from the obvious song by Journey Don't Stop Believing.

16. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

How about "Call Me Maybe" and "Best Day of My Life?"
    Oh, and Sirius XM's "The Blend" has the bad habit of playing the same songs over and over every day, often four times in six or seven hours!

17. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Most songs on the radio are overplayed ESPECIALLY during the holidays!

(I'm not gonna be listening to much stuff this year)

This is why I want game music to become mainstream!

18. chum_chum

chum_chum Active Member

Why, it's one of the best years musically, since, probably, 2012

19. copper20

copper20 Member

That's easy. Anything, and I repeat, ANYTHING by Queen or Journey. I feel like it's just cause I'm in Fort Worth with all the completely IDIOTIC nerdy football geeks but apparently it's common in every state.

I've yet to find a station that plays Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, The Riot, Flotsam and Jetsam, etc. Those are really good bands - I don't want to listen to we will rock you a million times. I got a better name for that song but I'm not going to say it here.

Basically I listen to a jazz station. You hear tight double bass, soothing snare drum rolls, poppy piano notes, the works. The sad part is, it doesn't have a good signal - it's always rather buzzy and there's often another station that sounds like it's trying to hijack the station.

I'd listen to a metal station but they're just gonna play most of the brand new bands, not the classic 70s/80s/early 90s bands.

Unfortunately I can't find F&J or The Riot on CD, not even record or cassette - why is it like some wild goose chase?

20. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I meant that I'm not going to listen to much Christmas music this year since I'm sick of all the saccharine contemporary crap!