1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Son of the Wacko World of Sports" discussion

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by rajzfilm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

In my opinion this TTA episode is just as great as "Wacko World of Sports", except for being animated by Kennedy instead of Akom. Akom would have been better, but Kennedy did a fine job.

BUSTER AT THE BAT
    Sylvester's narration is great during this segment and it's always nice to see a match between Perfecto and Acme Loo. Sneezer, Foghorn, Fifi, Sweetie, Plucky and Elmer each provide some nice laughs.
    [​IMG]
    When Fifi goes to her spot the animation becomes rather simple and weird.
    [​IMG]
    Buster promoting lady shoes leads to a nice Tex Avery reference
    [​IMG]
    The crowd becomes downright demonic when Elmer says "Strike one!".

BUSTER'S NEW BIKE
    Another short starring Buster. We get some bike-related sight gags during the first half. Bicycle Bob is quite entertaining during tricking Buster, but the funniest part is probably the ending.
    [​IMG]
    Buster claps Bob's nose, eyes and mouth with great timing.
    [​IMG]
    After Buster cleverly outsmarts Bob, he even makes him eat a bucket of scorpions.

ACME ACRES' SUMMER OLYMPICS
    Probably my favourite segment in this episode. The screentime is nicely shared between the characters. Buster duelling with Roderick Rat, Babs and Shirley's swimming act and the other bits are all entertaining.
    [​IMG]
    The commentary is done by Foghorn Leghorn and Speedy Gonzales.
    [​IMG]
    Speedy mutates into Sniffles/Sneezer during this shot.
    [​IMG]
    A geat expression on Calamity. You all know what happened next.

#1 rajzfilm, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Both "Wacko World of Sports" episodes are pretty enjoyable. I can't really say that either one has great animation, though- Akom's work in the original was all over the place (especially in the second short), and there were some sloppy moments throughout "Son", typical for late TTA Kennedy. Regardless, I did like the brief animation when Buster shouts, "Bob! Are you crazy?!"

Speaking of "Buster's New Bike", I love this line from Bicycle Bob: "Live? You mean, it's happenin' right now??"

3. "Son of the Wacko World of Sports" is definitely a gem among TTA's first season. Though I enjoyed the other two segments, I especially enjoyed the "Buster at the Bat" skit, which applies the touch of modern professional sports to the original Casey poem. In my opinion, it turned out way better than the Animaniacs' parody of the same poem. My favorite part was where Buster, modern ego-driven millionaire shill athlete that he is, takes a limo ride from the dugout all the way...to the batter's box.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah that bit was great. I also agree about TTA's take on Casey at the Bat was better than Animaniacs's.

Welcome to the forums, btw!

5. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

So, any comment on the SPEEDY GONZALES redesign?
    I think it's the most off-model Kennedy ever got!