1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Smallville" Retrospect Talkback [Update: Now on Season 2!]

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Lelouch, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

So, after watching Man of Steel I decided to check out Smallville for the first time. The show started 12ish years ago and I thought it might be fun to have a retrospective talkback for the first season. Keeping it to season 1 because I'd like to stay clear of any major spoilers (selfish, I know). Anyways, for those of you who have watched the first season- what did you think?

All in all, I enjoyed the first season a fair amount. But, the show is definitely flawed. The writing is pretty poor at times, some of the characters tend to be rather flat, and really the show has a habit of being silly. That being said, there is a charm to Clark's character that makes the series enjoyable (in the first season at least).

My biggest grievance with the writing is how contrived the endings tend to be. All this buildup for a villain and then Clark just swoops in and saves the day in a matter of three minutes. I realize he is more or less invincible but it isn't very satisfying. I also realize that the show is episodic (to a degree), but I hate how everything just goes back to status quo at the end. Surely the town would be more affected by some of these supernatural occurrences. I know, I know, it's based on comic book logic but the town of Smallville needs to smarten up.

The characters...oh boy, some of them are just plain useless. I could care less about Whitney leaving the series because his character was so poorly developed. Oh, and what about Pete? For Clark's best friend he barely gets any airtime. Chloe was fun until they tried to make her a love interest for Clark. Sorry, but those two don't have any chemistry. I can only hope that gets squashed quickly in season 2. And Lana...well, I have to say I don't dislike her as much as the rest of the fandom it seems. Can't stand Lex. He really needs to get over the daddy issues because they got old fast.

My favorite episode was the one with the Ryan character. Honestly, I kind of wish he had stuck around. He made all of the characters so lively and fun, especially Clark. It was nice to see him caring for someone other than Lana for a change. Least favorite...probably the bee girl.

I guess it kind of seems weird that I claim to have enjoyed the first season despite having so many complaints. Really though, there is something endearing about the series. Anyways, how did you feel about the first season? Please do NOT post any spoilers.

2. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I know we're all entitled to our own opinions, but after reading a comment like this I have to wonder what Smallville were you actually watching? Allison Mack and Tom Wellings oozed chemistry with one another. I loved the show (atleast the earlier seasons) but this was easily the most frustrating part about it - everybody but the producers could see how natural Clark and Chloe were as a couple but the obvious payoff was not to be.

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Give it time ;) It gets much much worse with her

4. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

I think the two have great friend chemistry, but nothing romantic. Maybe my opinion will change, but for now I just don't think Chloe and Clark work well together. I mean when they kiss it is just so...awkward. Definitely shouldn't feel that way for a couple that is meant to be (at least for me).

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I've recently started getting into the show again too. I missed some of the later seasons before I started with the final two, but I have really been enjoying the first season episodes I've watched.

Pete barely gets any development and some of the episodes tend to be inconsequential by the end of them - the writers had an annoying tendency to have whatever kryptonite infected character simply develop amnesia by the end of the episode. It happens too frequently sadly.

But as far as teen drama goes, yes, there is much to enjoy from Smallville.

6. gmster

gmster Active Member

This show was good, but it could've been great with more competent writers. The Luthor B-plot is often times more interesting than the main plot.

7. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Or they just kill them off and everyone goes back to normal the next day. So frustrating. Hopefully that changes as the show goes on. Oh, and I find it pretty funny/awesome that Amy Adams played a character in this show.

From here...I think what I'll do is update this particular thread for each season. I'll just put [Update: Season ___] in the title.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Chloe is always the girl that's just right for Clark that he ignores to chase after girls that are bad for him. That's her role. And product placement.

The thing you have to understand about Smallville is that it's not an action show or a superhero show or a drama. It's a soap opera. A very, very sudsy soap opera where improbable things happen, people act in improbable ways, and everything is played for the highest possible melodrama. There are people who have watched Guiding Light and General Hospital for decades who have written Smallville off as "a little much."

So, yeah, it's stupid and infuriating and cheesy and dumb and you just want to hit Lana, hit her right in her stupid face for her own good because maybe that would knock some stupid out of her. But as you've discovered, once you get sucked into it it becomes sort of its own ride, with its own pleasures, and gets addicting.

9. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

On Season 2 now...(have a habit of spam watching shows when i get into them)...

Wow, I'm really shocked they killed off Ryan. Definitely one of the sadder (arguably the saddest) moments in the series. Again, the character just brought a lot of joy and life to the other characters that I appreciated. I figured his death would have a fairly large impact but the next episode it is just...forgotten? Surely Clark wouldn't get over something so horrible so quickly. Ultimately this is my biggest grievance with this show. There are never any consequences that go from one episode to the next. Is there ever a point where the series stops being episodic and becomes more plot-oriented?

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not that I disagree with you, but I'd say it edges closer and closer to being a Superhero show in later seasons, especially when more DC characters start showing up.

11. gmster

gmster Active Member

Yes, the show becomes much more serialized in later seasons.

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

TNT has literally just started this over in reruns. Against my better judgement, I'm thinking about starting to watch.

13. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

The first couple seasons have a janky "freak of the week" thing going, but by about three or four that gets traded for rather intense season-long arcs and cliffhangers. Later seasons also have callbacks to things that happened in earlier seasons, and some characters return.

14. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

I liked this show a lot when I was in middle school. Boy have my tastes changed since.

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I couldn't stand Lana. I was a little put off with her at first, but as the show went on she became unbearable. Thank goodness Lois came.