1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Sinclair To Launch 'KidsClick' Multiplatform Programming Block For Children

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by aegisrawks, May 4, 2017.

1. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Ruby Gloom Fan

^ Qubo is another over-the-air network for kids.

2. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I get a weak signal for Qubo so I forgot.:p

Still, a dedicated programming block like this is unheard of nowadays, especially considering that this will be a daily block instead of a full-fledged channel. It beats the abundance of edutainment nature shows that airs on NBC and CBS on Saturday mornings, that's for certain.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I noticed that it skipped the end credit sequences. I'm personally not sure about this...

4. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

I thought that that was an interesting debut for the block.

When I was watching on ThisTV, they accidentally repeated the last Pink Panther and Pals short - A Pink and Stormy Night. So the second Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures started late and didn't have time to finish the episode before they had to start airing an E/I show.

Also, it looks like they didn't have a lot of time to sell advertising for this block. They managed to get Chuck-E-Cheese's to air one advertisement after the theme song of each show. Other than that, they aired trailers for their shows. Which I think is a great idea, even if it was done by accident. No one knows anything about this block yet, showing them what's on it and promoting the rest of your schedule is probably a good move.

But the trailers seemed to be generic instead of made by Kids Click. That's also okay for now, because they didn't have a whole lot of time to put the block together.

I hadn't seen any of these shows before they aired today, but I thought Scary Larry, Pink Panther and Pals, and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures were okay and the best of the group. I wasn't all that impressed by Super 4 and I'll probably give RoboCop another shot (admittedly, I was tired when those two aired though).

One thing I was kinda disappointed with was the look of the block. I know they didn't have a lot of time to put it together, but they really need to create bumpers to come in and out of shows, promos for upcoming shows that day (episode specific, if possible), and some sort of promo for the schedule. The schedule one is tricky because it will be different on every channel, but a "Now, next, later" type of schedule might work best. They did sort of kind of have each of these things, but I think they probably need to do better to make it feel like an actual block.

5. superkeegan9100

I slept through the hours the block was on so I'll probably catch Scary Larry again tomorrow.

6. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

A fitting date for the new block to start - a Saturday. However, as some users put out, there were issues on day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

And which issues were those? Im not saying there arent any but you should elaborate. I do have some issues of my own, like why did they remove Sonic X after promoting so much. I know its old but it gives the vibe any show could be pulled at anytime. So there's no certainty from day to day.

8. Mandouga

I'm pretty sure its age has nothing to do with it (Robocop: Alpha Commando predates it, after all; by five years, even). Maybe there were some kind of legal problems or something?*

Anyway, considering who "dubbed" it, it's probably for the best, but that's just me.

*"They" lost the distribution rights when "they" went back to being just a licensing agency. Unless some other kind of arrangement was made, the rights to Sonic X likely returned to either Sega or TMS.

EDIT: Oh boy, it looks like these guys messed up. They're airing another Super 4 story when they should be airing Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures. You'd think these guys had never run a weekend morning programming block before...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #168 Mandouga, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  9. superkeegan9100

I'm watching it on WRDC right now, but it appears to be having technical difficulties...

10. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

The B plot on today's Scary Larry was kind of sad lol

I can't say I'm a fan of them not airing the credits sequences.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. animegood

animegood Member

I feel like making a first time trivia.

Robocop: Alpha Commando is the first 90s animated series to air on KidsClick, also the first that came from a live action feature film

Super 4 is the first CGI series to air on this block, also the first series based on a toy line.

Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures is the first series based on a video game to air on this block (Sonic X was meant to be), also the first to air more than one time during this block in one day.

The first commercial ever aired is Chuck E Cheeses

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Watching the block today, I think I'm more okay with the bumpers and promos. I don't know if they got better or I was just more awake today.

I agree with others tho, lots of rookie mistakes. Like accidentally repeating the last segments from shows.

Haha you're right about Scary Larry. But to be fair, a lot of those bats also lived too! :)

Scary Larry is cool. It's an interesting show that has an unique story and looks great visually! I'm excited to see more of that show next weekend!

As for credits sequences. I'd at least like to see the opening credits.

13. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Sure wish I can see the KidsClick shows in HD. One of my local channels (ThisTV) carries the block, and it doesn't have an HD feed yet.

14. Takao

How many of you guys are watching it on ThisTV versus the local channels? Some of the problems might be isolated to just that regional broadcaster.

Anyone notice they aired a couple of PSAs? Seemed to be the only thing other than Chuck E. Cheese that wasn't a show promo.

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I've looked around and found nothing in my local area for this block, can't tune in this good block unfortunately. :(

16. Takao

Looks like the weekend run of RoboCop: AC isn't overlapping onto weekdays. Currently running episode #1.

Spotted this little graphic on the ThisTV site:
    [​IMG]

They aired the credits sequences for RoboCop, Max Steel and Angry Birds today. Guess the weekend might've been a mistake?

Max Steel is starting from season 2. "Ultralink Invasion Part 1" aired today. I'm not sure why they'd do that. I understand they might want "new" stuff, but the show isn't episodic and the first season isn't something long to get through on a M-F strip.

Miraculous is starting from episode 2. WNYO liked those Angry Birds shorts a little too much. They ran them again from the second ad break and Miraculous started 17 minutes late... and now after an ad break RoboCop is starting again at 8AM. lol wat is happening.

No access to any of these?

• Like Like x 1
    #176 Takao, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  17. Mandouga

Okay, everyone. It's only been three days, and this block is already in trouble. You can't make random programming changes like that, AND a show has to start on time.

I'm sorry, everyone, but I'm going to say it: this is what I would expect from the Cartoon Network (and no, I'm not exaggerating).

However, I think it's (a little) too early to say that they want the block to fail. On the other hand, I am beginning to wonder if the people behind it really know what they're doing (I wish I was kidding, but I'm not). In any case, something is going on there, and IMO, sooner or later, somebody is going to find out...

18. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

It's a extended holiday weekend, and I suppose glitches are to be expected from a new block.

WCWN in Albany splits up the morning block into 2 parts, but due to an infomercial penciled in a 5 (ET) this morning, the block wasn't supposed to start until 5:30. Unfortunately, the issues reported above are the fault of Kids Click, not the individual stations. I was getting into Miraculous, which did start 17 minutes late due to those glitches, and the story didn't finish.

Didn't see any sponsor ads, just house ads. Robocop was not supposed to air. Maybe by the end of the week they'll get this sorted out. Then again, maybe not.

19. Mandouga

I never said it was the stations' fault. It mostly likely is the people running the block. In any case, all we can do is wait and see what happens...

20. Takao

The same Max Steel episode aired before the block ended and went to the station's regular programming (Judge Faith). Obviously someone did not double check their work before heading off for the long weekend.

@hobbyfan Are you watching it on This TV or a local station?

#180 Takao, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017