1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sinclair To Launch 'KidsClick' Multiplatform Programming Block For Children

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by aegisrawks, May 4, 2017.

1. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

This is a pretty good start for a block, I think. I can't believe that Sonic X is getting another lease on life. That show has been rerun forever. Do all cartoon blocks on network tv need Sonic X for some sort of structural reason? Does the entire operation fall apart without it? :)

I haven't seen any of the other shows though. So I'm pretty excited to see Miraculous, Pink Panther and Pals, Robocop, Super 4, and Zak Storm: Super Pirate. And I'll give the other shows a chance and probably even check out some of Sonic X.

I'm impressed that none of the shows are E/I and all of the shows are animated. This isn't like Litton at all. It's much more effort than what's been given by network tv in awhile. And its cool that they got the US debut for Zak Storm: Super Pirate too, like the article says.

So yeah, I'm really excited about this!!

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Wow! This is a much more impressive lineup than I expected. It's nice to see so many different shows from multiple networks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Pink Panther is owned by MGM. They're co-owners of ThisTV, so that and RoboCop are their involvement with the block. I know MGM also owns Stargate, but I don't know if they control distribution of Stargate Infinity. Not sure anyone would want to watch that again anyway.

Given many of our low expectations (myself especially) going in, the lineup so far is solid. Lots of shows from different companies. Some 2D, some 3D. Some comedy, some action. Some old, some new. I would've liked to see more stuff that hadn't already aired in the US before, but that's a big ask given they were looking for known properties. Hopefully it does well and Sinclair can grow the block. They won't have to deal with some of the pitfalls Toonzai/Vortexx did.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Sonic X is always a common pick for these blocks hard to believe out of the top of my head Toonzai, Vortexx and this block want it.

Either way the program looks decent some odd choices and forgettable shows but knowing the story of blocks like these this is all they got.

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Not interested in any of these shows.

I have honestly never seen Sonic X. It only aired on Jetix here, which was a pay channel.

6. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!

Let's not jump the gun here, everyone! They never said that the block wouldn't have E/I shows. The article said that more shows might be coming (and that not every show may premiere at once).

So, they have Robocop: the Animated Series. Unless it's a new show I haven't heard about yet, I'm assuming it's the older one that aired on the Marvel Action Universe block from 1988.

As for Sonic X, we really shouldn't forget who "dubbed" that show in the first place (and I'll leave it at that)...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Takao

You're right. The block could still have EI shows. What this lineup proves, however, is that the focus isn't on being an E/I block.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

The FCC is going to have a field day with this...

9. Takao

They didn't seem to care at all when Disney ran kidcoms as "E/I" programming on ABC Kids. None of those shows should qualify for that ranking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

That's...not a bad lineup.

If someone would have told me a year ago that Miraculous Ladybug and Sonic X would eventually be on the same programming block, I would've called them crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Nice to see that Miraculous Ladybug is there! It's definetly a good start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

Yeah, I think that's really important. Toonzai and Vortexx both started strong, but then fell apart. I think you're right that this block won't have as many of the same problems as them.

Sinclair won't have to sign a contract with the network or argue with censors. They also don't have to worry about their block being moved to different times of the day.

Still, growing beyond this initial lineup will be important. Especially since some of these shows have low episode counts. Hopefully they won't just run these shows into the ground. Toonzai and Vortexx had a problem doing that later on in their runs.

13. Takao

Right, KidsClick should be able to get advertising throughout the network's schedule. Sinclair obviously doesn't have to worry about weird timeslots (unless it airs one of their larger stations that may offer sports pre-emptions) in key markets, affiliate complaints (since they own the channels), or some network's BS&P. My major worry is that because ThisTV is their main partner, initial viewership will be quite low. They're a library channel that mostly airs movies. I imagine its viewership fluctuates considerably. Not exactly a home for kids, but I guess that could change.

14. superkeegan9100

I no longer have ThisTV, the station that had it at the time (WRAL, an NBC affiliate) replaced it with Heroes and Icons.

15. Takao

In your market, Sinclair owns WRDC (MyNetworkTV) and WLFL (CW). KidsClick could air on either of those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. superkeegan9100

Agreed. The latter already aired Sonic X because of the Vortexx block.

17. Sunnydee

Sunnydee Member

It's possible they might get a bigger audience by airing on Sinclair's local stations, but I agree, viewership will be low. Their biggest challenge is that none of these channels have any children's programming on them currently. So they're building a viewership base from nothing. It's not even like Vortexx or Toonzai, where they were taking over for an existing block and (a few) people knew there would be shows in that time slot. Hopefully they realize that and don't give up if no one is watching all summer.

Also, should they have one set of shows air on weekdays and another set of shows air on weekends? I feel like that would be the best move. Like Sonic X would air weekdays, whereas Zak Storm might only air once a week?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. superkeegan9100

So it turns out RoboCop's show only lasted 12 episodes, I'm not sure if this will air on weekdays or weekends...

19. Takao

Here's the website: http://kidsclicktv.com/

http://www.toonbarn.com/other-carto...s-countdown-clock-return-network-tv-cartoons/

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. superkeegan9100

I'm curious as to what Transformers show will air on the block.