1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Since Looney Tunes Is Obviously Here To Stay, Isn't It About Time CN/Boom Start Airing More Shorts?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Mr Flintstone, Mar 25, 2014.

1. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

In Poland, TV Puls 2 air from Friday Looney Tunes Shorts. After 16 years (after CANAL+ Poland airing) I've seen Believe it or Else, 1939 with Egghead. The Bear's Tale, 1940 was aired with restored print from DVD release (DVD not released in Poland), and Bedtime for Sniffles, 1940 was aired without Dubbed 1995 ending titles and with restored print from Mouse Chronicles: Chuck Jones DVD release.

2. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

There's absolutely no guarantee we'll get another Looney Tunes short that we haven't seen before. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

3. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

Is it fair to say it's better to have Looney Tunes cartoons back than nothing at all like a few years ago when CN have cut the axe? Or Boomerang will use to play only the same pre-1948's shorts at their disposal? Not to say i want this years back but it thrive me a lot of memories when Television was not always depedant of socials sites as we have today. I can think honnestly i'm glad this cartoons were back on American Television even if their duty was not always rewarded finally. Apparently, several shorts who used to be saw a decade ago don't longer seen on TV anymore due to Politically Correctness ("Rebel Rabbit" comes to mind presently as a fine unaired short) or others are just far too obsucre. I'm surprised they have none airings of "One Froggy Evening" due to their importance in the Looney Tunes legacy, altough as a one-shot cartoon.

One of the things the Warner Bros. cartoons have that too much shorts series don't is the versatility of their writings and how compelling this characters are for every ages. The formulaic cat-and-mouse chase from Tom & Jerry and the fact there's too much DVD reusing the same shorts all over are constant reasons why i stopped my cares to this series, no mention each times i rewatch it again, it's not the same enthusiasm than 10 years ago when i discovered them on DVD for the first time. (Canada's don't ever dare to air the classics series, but finally, i think it's much wise than coward due to the nature of this repetitious shorts.) Bue it's mostly the 2006's Tales series when i decide to abandon it and even the newer T&J Show is not much as good.

Like many fans here, Looney Tunes is a pan of my own teenagehood and for some reason, this shorts are here to stay. But me too i wish less reruns of the same shorts even tough Boomerang have a much varied catalog of shorts than in 2005-07.

4. looneytunesrocks

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Looney Tunes back on Cartoon Network now that school is starting up again.

5. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

Eh, I actually doubt that at this point, CN is free of any non-current programming as of now, shows on the schedule are either airing new episodes or are on hiatus.

6. looneytunesrocks

7. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Likewise the Hanna-Barbera cartoons (making it still strange that Yogi Bear and the Flintstones don't share Scooby's popularity even with all given reasons) but Turner IS owned by WB..

8. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

With all of the noise about Tom & Jerry's Racism warning by Amazon Prime, it's no wonder why a limited variety of WB shorts is aired if some of this cartoons are also victim of modern Politically Correctness. This PC laws being more annoyed to endear than a decade ago. For instance, many Bugs cartoons as "Homeless Hare", "Hare Do", "Beanstalk Bunny" and "Barbary Coast Bunny" where someone smoke through the short is already qualified to be banned even for one sequence. I tough for years this cartoons are more harmless than the violence and rape from many shows and movies but for this detail, it's ok to ban it in the older cartoons and not in Primetimes dramas? As ethnics references, they (Warner) should know this films represent the views of the respectives times this productions are made and not just limited as a fiction cliché. I was sure the warnings from the older LTGC series can bring them in mind to presenting this films uncut and unobscured for future airings, but seems it's not the case finally.

9. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Now here's a big surprise. Boomerang is going to be airing "Cannery Woe" again next Monday during the 2 AM hour. Here's proof: Boomerang Schedule | Cartoon Network

Now that they are airing this for the second time in the current rotation, maybe it wasn't a mistake after all?

10. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

Late reply, but I really don't think Political Correctness is the main drive behind the limited selection of shorts. Otherwise shorts such as "Good Noose" and "Show Biz Bugs" and "For Scent-imental Reasons" wouldn't have aired uncut (and these shorts aired after their return in 2011). Plus, "Bugs and Thugs" has aired (and in fact is just about to tonight) on Boomerang, so make of that as you will. Turner still has to pay the Warner-half (which owns all the 1948 and later cartoons, as well as the Black and White shorts) a fee to run their shorts. The more they pay, the more shorts they run, the less they pay, the less shorts that come into syndication, and given Turner's overall nature as of now, you can guess how much attention the LT shorts are getting. However, it seems lately that more and more shorts are coming into Boomerang's rotation (I check its online schedule every now and then to see that there were quite a few shorts that I never remembered seeing when the Looney Tunes were on Cartoon Network from 2011-2013, shorts such as "Muscle Tussle", "What Makes Daffy Duck" and "Tugboat Granny" for example haven't seen the light of day until recently, correct me if I'm wrong though anybody). Hopefully Boomerang's rebrand will open up to much more variety for the Looney Tunes shorts.

11. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Cartoon Network, earlier this year did a better job than Boomerang at showing different shorts: "A Hound for Trouble" and "Catch as Cats Can". The only two different shorts Boomerang aired is "Cannery Woe" which always airs at 2 a.m for some reason and "Patient Porky". That's it. Cartoon Network has Daffy Duck from part of "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" representing Looney Tunes when the announcer says "Coming up next, Looney Tunes, on Cartoon Network." So I don't get why they're avoiding variety with Classic Looney Tunes. I mean, not all of your audience who watches Looney Tunes are kids with short-term memories. Why not give your audience more variety with LT/MM shorts along with the kids too? I'd honestly wish I could back in 2011 to see how "Hare Conditioned," for instance, aired on TV. Now, it doesn't air anymore and there is nothing offensive about that short at all.

12. Looney Turtles

Since they just recently aired "Cannery Woe" in the current rotation for the second time, perhaps they are testing out Speedy Gonzales before adding more shorts with him in the rotation?

It's weird how they don't air shorts like "Operation: Rabbit", while the other 4 shorts that pairs Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote airs.

13. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

List of the same shorts they're constantly showing:

"From Hare to Heir"
    "Bonanza Bunny"
    "Half-Fare Hare"
    "Design For Leaving"
    "Feed the Kitty"
    "Putty Tat Trouble"
    "Soup or Sonic"
    "The Hasty Hare"
    "Stop, Look and Hasten"
    "Baseball Bugs"
    "Drip-Along Daffy"
    "People Are Bunny"
    "Hare Lift"
    "Devil's Feud Cake"
    "Putty Tat Trouble"
    "A Fractured Leghorn"
    "Weasel While You Work"
    "A Witch's Tangled Hare"
    "Napoleon Bunny-Part"
    "Pests for Guests"
    "Greedy for Tweety"
    "Satan's Waitin"
    "Mutiny on the Bunny"
    "Captain Hareblower"
    "Ready, Woolen and Able"
    "Steal Wool"
    "Don't Give Up The Sheep"
    "Ant Pasted"
    "Mad As A Mars Hare"
    "Rabbit Rampage"
    "Frigid Hare"
    "To Beep or Not To Beep"
    "Dumb Patrol" (1964)
    "The Big Snooze"
    "The Last Hungry Cat"
    "Ballot Box Bunny"
    "Duck Amuck"
    "Rabbit Seasoning"
    "Duck, Rabbit, Duck!"
    "Feather Dusted"
    "Walky Talky Hawky"
    "Broom-Stick Bunny"
    "Bewitched Bunny"
    "Hare-way to the Stars"
    "Plop Goes the Weasel"
    "A Pest in the House"
    "Ain't She Tweet"
    "Room and Bird"
    "An Egg Scramble"
    "French Rarebit"
    "Big Top Bunny"
    "To Hare is Human"
    "Compressed Hare"
    "Ducking the Devil"
    "Devil May Hare"
    "Bill of Hare"
    "Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare"
    "Hare Remover"
    "Boston Quackie"
    "Too Hop to Handle"
    "Freudy Cat"
    "No Barking"
    "Apes of Wrath"
    "Robot Rabbit"
    "Cat's Paw"
    "Hoppy Daze"
    "Hare-Breadth Hurry"
    "The Honey-Mousers"
    "Mice Follies"
    "Dime To Retire"
    "Thumb Fun"
    "Cracked Quack"
    "Quack Shot"
    "What Makes Daffy Duck"
    "Fool Coverage"
    "A Star is Bored"
    "Don't Axe Me"
    "Robin Hood Daffy"
    "The Abominable Snow Rabbit"
    "Daffy's Inn Trouble"
    "The Million Hare"
    "Quackodile Tears"
    "Good Noose"
    "Fast Buck Duck"
    "The Iceman Ducketh"
    "Suppressed Duck"
    "Hot Cross Bunny"
    "Hare Splitter"
    "Bedevilled Rabbit"
    "High Diving Hare"
    "Long Haired Hare"
    "Knights Must Fall"
    "The Grey Hounded Hare"
    "Boobs in the Woods"
    "Hillbilly Hare"
    "Bunker Hill Bunny"
    "Dog Pounded"
    "Oily Hare"
    "The Fair-Haired Hare"
    "Honey's Money"
    "Foxy by Proxy"
    "Rabbit's Kin"
    "14 Carrot Rabbit"
    "Rabbit Every Monday"
    "Water, Water Every Hare"
    "Duck Dodgers and the 24th and a 1/2 Century"
    "Duck Dodgers and Return of the 24th and 1/2 Century"
    "Spaced Out Bunny"
    "Upswept Hare"
    "Rabbit Hood"
    "Robot Rabbit"
    "Tweet, Tweet, Tweety"
    "Hare Brush"
    "Hare Trimmed"
    "Dough For The Do-Do"
    "Roadrunner a Go-Go"
    "Harried and Hurried"
    "The Solid Tin Coyote"
    "Just Plane Beep"
    "Chaser on the Rocks"
    "Shot and Bothered"
    "There They Go-Go-Go"
    "Little Boy Boo"
    "Canary Row"
    "Daffy Duck Hunt"
    "Rabbit of Seville"
    "Baton Bunny"
    "What's Opera Doc?"
    "Hare-Less Wolf"
    "Now Hare This"
    "Knighty Knight Bugs"
    "Pre-Hysterical Hare"
    "Rabbit's Feat"
    "Lighter than Hare"
    "Shishkabugs"
    "Wet Hare"
    "Prince Varmint"
    "False Hare"
    "Blooper Bunny"
    "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers"
    "Carrotblanca"
    "From Hare to Eternity"
    "Scentimental Over You"
    "Wild Over You"
    "For Scentimental Reasons"
    "Crowing Pains"
    "Lighthouse Mouse"
    "Sheep Ahoy"
    "Baby Buggy Bunny"
    "Bugs and Thugs"
    "Daffy Flies North"
    "Roman Legion Hare"
    "Heir Conditioned"
    "Show Biz Bugs"
    "Wearing of the Grin"
    "Fish and Slips"
    "Pop 'Im Pop"
    "Tree for Two"
    "Dr. Jerkyll's Hide"
    "Zoom and Bored"
    "Gee Whiz-z-z"
    "Superior Duck"
    "Odor of the Day"
    "Bell Hoppy"
    "Lickety Splat"
    "Claws in the Lease"
    "His Hare Raising Tale"
    "Snow Business"
    "Double or Mutton"
    "Boulder Wham!"
    "Muzzle Tough"
    "I Gopher You"
    "Lumber Jerks"
    "Fowl Weather"
    "The Scarlet Pumpernickel"
    "Rushing Roulette"
    "A Pizza Tweety Pie"
    "Sock A Doodle Do"
    "Beep, Beep"
    "Ready..Set..Zoom!"
    "Trick or Tweet"
    "The High and the Flighty"
    "Woolen Under Where"
    "Tweet and Lovely"

14. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

Me and my busy schedule causing me to reply late, but ^ that's all the shorts currently airing rotated on CN/Boomerang? I quickly counted (meaning I could be off by a bit) 185 shorts on that list, that's at least 3 times as many shorts that got circulation when the Looney Tunes came back on the air in 2011. It used to be in 2011-2012 (possibly 2013 as well) that it was the same 30-60 shorts (with well more than half of them already on DVD) that was rotated on the schedule, it got pretty boring after a short while. What I'm seeing above however is a nice change. Of course, there are MUCH more shorts that can/should be aired (what's listed is only about 18% of the 1003 or so LT/MM shorts, and that's not even including the more recent stuff, though to be fair about 150-200 of those shorts are better left in the vault), but what I'm seeing above is a step in the right direction. To parrot myself, I'm hoping (as a long shot) Boomerang's rebrand will enable the channel to dig more into Warner's shorts library (have the more popular shorts air on CN proper, and then have everything including the popular shorts air on Boomerang), to have the variety we had back some time ago. If not, well, I can't complain since I have a good amount of the DVDs, as well as Volumes 1-4 of The Golden Age of Looney Tunes laserdisc sets.

15. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

[MENTION=58074]DVDLooney[/MENTION], do not forget to add the short, "Tweety's Zoo" onto the list.

16. MagicMagilla

MagicMagilla Guest

Well if there's a chance for change, it's probably now or never. CN seems to have finally put down their defensive shield admitting it's not as sturdy as they've been pretending it is. Now let's see if they stop oppressing older material as much. Since it's not that fair everything on the Turner side is kind of stuck with them.

However honestly, I gave up on them long ago. It was cool to care for a channel in the 90s. But now it's 2014. I'm kind of over caring about what the cable channels are airing. When it seems even though not complete, we've got better legal and illegal options by way of DVDs and upload sites. And with that CN can go and do whatever it wants as i can't help but feel there's no use crying over spilled milk.

17. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I understand where you're coming from with your argument. However, the argument is about the lack of variety for Looney Tunes on Boomerang. Sure we've got the shorts of LT/MM on DVD, but there are only a fraction of them on DVD, the others were recorded, then place on millions of torrents online, for instance, "Of Thee I Sting". For CN, I understand they're not going to show all the LT/MM shorts they did in the past, they're more about the here and now with their programming. Boomerang, on the other hand, should have no excuse for lack of Looney Tunes. But, unfortunately, it's overshadowed by CN as the second CN, with the commercials for their modern shows, and actual commercials that are Non-Boomerang and CN related. For instance, why post: The Goofy Gophers/Clippety Clobbered/Corn on the Cop/The Jet Cage/Robot Rabbit/Water Water Every Hare/Apes Of Wrath on CN, then post it again on Boomerang the next day. Because of this, it defeats the purpose of being excited for Looney Tunes on TV. I still watch Classic Looney Tunes religiously on TV, but I watch shorts that I never get to see on TV like Hare Ribbin' and Book Revue on my computer, and I've never seen them on TV, probably never will too :(

18. Looney Turtles

It looks like they are adding two new shorts to the rotation on January 5 on Boomerang. Those shorts are "Super-Rabbit" and "Falling Hare". Both of these are 1943 shorts, so it's interesting seeing them adding more early 1940's shorts. Check it out: Boomerang Schedule | Cartoon Network

#98 Looney Turtles, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

At this point, I watch my DVDs of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts than TV. The only shorts they'll show on Cartoon Network and Boomerang are the one's that I mentioned in my long list of shorts above, and I realized I probably didn't mention some others that they overplay as well, and also, the Pussyfoot and Marc Anthony shorts get overplayed too.

20. Looney Turtles

Same for me, pretty much, considering I have all 6 volumes of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs, and I have recorded pretty much every short that Boomerang airs to my DVD recorder already.

Although, I still check the online Boomerang schedule, just in case they ever air anything different.