1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Since Looney Tunes Is Obviously Here To Stay, Isn't It About Time CN/Boom Start Airing More Shorts?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Mr Flintstone, Mar 25, 2014.

1. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I'll give CN credit, at least they're airing different shorts from time to time, unlike Boomerang. I was surprised that "Catch As Cats Can" aired this past Sunday. They've aired "A Hound For Trouble" on March 1 which was a Saturday, so there's a possibility that other shorts that haven't played in a while might get aired on CN.

2. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yeah I know what you mean, I was hoping that Boomerang would air shorts like "Porky in Wackyland". However, they're airing the exact same shorts that CN are airing. I think that it defeats the purpose of bringing back Looney Tunes on Boomerang. Yes, I'm fine with the shorts that they're still airing, but they could air even more, preferably the pre-1948 ones besides "Trap Happy Porky" which is good.:bugs1:

3. Looney Turtles

This is why I liked it back when they played Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon. They had a wider selection and not to mention, they actually played the Speedy Gonzales shorts on a regular basis. Nickelodeon was really how I got exposed to Looney Tunes in the first place. I've also been recording Looney Tunes to DVR lately, and I just erase them if it's nothing I haven't seen recently.

Wasn't the airing of the short "Cannery Woe" on Boomerang in January the first airing of a Speedy Gonzales short in years?

4. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yes, "Cannery Woe" did air on January 26 on Boomerang at 7 a.m according to the "Boomerang Looney Tunes airings thread", and it's a shame, I wasn't aware of it airing at all. It makes me miss the old days where Looney Tunes had more variety, nowadays they're making these spin-offs of classics and then they're calling those Looney Tunes. I'd hate to complain, but how difficult is it for Boomerang to air shorts like "Hare Conditioned", "The Super Snooper", and "Kitty Kornered" for example. What I don't understand is why they're making these spinoffs like "The Looney Tunes Show" for example, that features a politically correct version of a character that they don't air the classics of, like Speedy Gonzales for example, but refuse to air any of his shorts at all. These days, we're reduced to the DVDs of Classic Looney Tunes, and although they're great, not all of these shorts that once aired on TV are on the DVDS. The once active Matthew Hunter even spoke up against this Speedy Gonzales ban from TV, it worked but after a while, it got stopped again because of the over-exaggerated perception of society.

5. Looney Turtles

Yeah, I missed it too, due to the fact that I don't even get Boomerang (it seems to be one of the more elusive channels). While I wasn't able to catch it, I just heard from multiple places that the short aired then. The airing of "Cannery Woe" really does make me wonder if that or any other Speedy Gonzales shorts would be aired again soon.

While where at missing shorts, I've also noticed the absence of certain post-1948 Bugs Bunny shorts like "Big House Bunny", "Bugsy and Mugsy", and "Ali Baba Bunny".

6. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yeah, it's gives the viewers of Boomerang a bit of hope that Speedy Gonzales shorts may air again, I'm able to watch it Looney Tunes on Boomerang alot, it's just disappointing that they're the same shorts again. I think that it defeats the purpose in bringing Looney Tunes back on Boomerang. I'll give credit to Boomerang for even airing "Cannery Woe", however, they're too predictable with their schedule for Looney Tunes and as much as it pains me to say this, Cartoon Network does a better job at mixing up with the shorts, even though they're still the same too, they've aired some different shorts like "A Hound For Trouble" and "Catch As Cats Can" recently. There is completely nothing wrong with watching the same shorts "Ballot Box Bunny" and "Big Top Bunny". The point I'm trying make is that watching the same shorts every week tends to diminish people's interest when they know what's going to come on TV. They're doing this to familiarize families with Looney Tunes.

#46 DVDLooney, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  7. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I had a feeling Boom aired less LT shorts than CN somehow.........and it's a shame because I stopped watching Looney Tunes (along with Tom and Jerry and What's New, Scooby-Doo?) on Cartoon Network ever since they screwed up the SD feed, plus Boom airs them at better timeslots.

8. Looney Turtles

If they showed them again on Boomerang, hopefully, it'll be the same with Cartoon Network. It would also be nice if Turner gave out the rights for other networks to air Looney Tunes again. Then maybe a network like Hub Network would start to air them and maybe air the Speedy Gonzales shorts too, and more of a variety.

9. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Well, I'd be happy if they'd show them again on Boomerang, as for Cartoon Network, I'm not expecting them to air Speedy Gonzales shorts or shorts like "A-Lad in His Lamp" but if they're interested in airing those too, then that would be great. Well, looks like we're still going to rely on internet torrents and DVD's to watch different Looney Tunes shorts, but we just can't do anything about the Networks airing the same shorts as viewers, we're just stuck.

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Turner isn't going to farm out the broadcasting rights to Looney Tunes shorts over to one of it's competitors so the competitor could make money from airing them. Turner wouldn't benefit from that in any way. They'd prefer to keep their profits in-house. Also, the post 1948 Looney Tunes shorts are owned by Warner Bros, not Turner.

11. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

I feel like the idea to experimented the Looney Tunes/Merrie Meoldies filmography to modern viewers is sort of a fail because i'm getting now tired to check what's the next cartoons it will appear on Boomerang. There's since a few months they air the same rotations over and over look like remind how i was annoyed by the same 98-99's Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show rotations who reran it on Global non-stop. (Fortunately, a other major network have restored the shorts list by more fresh titles, many i have never seen before.)

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Maybe HBO Family should start airing post 1948 Looney Tunes shorts as filler between movies aired!

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

How would that benefit Cartoon Network/Boomerang viewers?

14. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Honestly, I don't care what network airs Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies as long as they're different than the ones that Boomerang and Cartoon Network air, not that the ones on both CN and Boomerang are bad, but we've seen them like more than 100 times already. Why is it so difficult to air "Hare Conditioned" and "Hare Tonic?" They're not offensive to anyone in anyway at all. I've given up on Boomerang at this point, however, they've did air the Speedy Gonzales short "Cannery Woe" on Jaunary 26, so, I'll give them credit for that, but it's rare that Boomerang will ever make another mistake like that again. All I'm asking from Boomerang is that can they air different shorts with the ones that they're already airing. I think the idea of bringing Looney Tunes back to Boomerang was a bad idea when it ultimately was going to end up being the same shorts that CN overplays. Times like this makes me feel like I want to create a time-machine and go back in time in order to watch TV when they've used to air pre-1948 Looney Tunes shorts.

15. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

My real problem with LT on Boomerang and CN is that they never show the restored versions of the cartoons that have bad pitch. How hard is it to do it regardless of profits?

I remember seeing a restored version of Rabbit Seasoning on Boomerang last year in November. I also saw a restored of Fast and Furry-ous, the first Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote short though I don't remember when.

While not seeing the same cartoons with a good pitch doesn't sound appealing, I'll always try the internet.

16. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

All I'll say is this...

The only shorts that they air that are restored is "Ballot Box Bunny", "Big Top Bunny", and "Boobs in the Woods". I'm sure there are others too, but I've forgotten the rest.:bugs1:

17. Looney Turtles

Yeah, I've bought a few Looney Tunes DVDs already and stuff. From what I heard, the last time Cartoon Network aired a Speedy Gonzales short (which was "Mexican Boarders") was during the marathon Looney Tunes had in 2010, which was before their full-time return in 2011.

18. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Yeah, If anything is to blame for both CN and Boomerang airing the same Looney Tunes shorts, it's these politically-correct spinoffs of classics that they're creating. I get that they're creating them in order to make them appropriate for younger kids who are just growing up these days, but it's diminishing and tarnishing the reputation of what the classic cartoons truly are and I think that the same can be said for Tom and Jerry too.

19. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Monday June 30, on Boomerang, they're going to air "Patient Porky" for the first time in years. I'm not getting my hopes too much but I really hope that they're still going to air different shorts when the ones that they're constantly airing over and over again.

20. Looney Turtles

Yeah, I heard about that too. This must be the first time in years that a black and white short has aired on TV too. Especially surprising, considering early 1940's shorts in general rarely air.

Also, Looney Tunes are going to stop airing on Cartoon Network on July 7, so maybe they'll be adding more shorts to the rotation now that Looney Tunes will only be airing on Boomerang?