1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Since Looney Tunes Is Obviously Here To Stay, Isn't It About Time CN/Boom Start Airing More Shorts?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Mr Flintstone, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

I DVR Looney Tunes everyday and I'm getting a little tired of the same shorts week end and week out. I'm glad that they finally brought them back after many years of not being on TV, but it's about time that they expand what they're showing.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Since Turner has to air the post-1948 Looney Tunes shorts contractually (the post-1948 LT shorts are owned by Warner Brothers, not by Turner), it's likely that more shorts would mean money for Turner to pay. However, the pre-1948 shorts wouldn't be a problem, since Turner owns those.

In any case, it's likely that Cartoon Network and Boomerang (maybe, it depends on what happens after the channel re-brands at the end of this fall) will continue airing Looney Tunes as a cross promotion to the upcoming Wabbit series on CN.

3. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I agree that CN and Boomerang not showing LT shorts, let alone the Speedy Gonzales shorts is a problem but I'm also concerned about why restored and remastered versions of the same shorts like Rabbit Seasoning are never played. Maybe neither channel has the guts and is just plain lazy.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Or it could be the point Goldstar Neo raised earlier: that additional shorts and digitally remastered versions of the ones they do air could require Turner to dole out more money for them.

5. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

I am content with the shorts Cartoon Network/Boomerang have aired so far as most of them are from the late 40s, 50s, and early-to-mid 60s. Those years are considered by many to be The Golden Era of the LT series. When it comes to airing more shorts, I would like to see them air all Speedy Gonzales ones (especially the ones with Daffy Duck), those early Sylvester shorts, those skipped Bugs Bunny shorts from the Golden Era (such as "A Feather In His Hare", "A Lad In His Lamp", "Which Witch Is Witch", "His Hair-Raising Tale", "Yankee Doodle Bugs", "Bugsy and Mugsy", "Backwoods Bunny", "The Unmentionables", "Piker's Peak", "Hare-Abian Nights", "Wild and Woolly Hare", and "Horse Hare") and other skipped shorts from the Golden Era featuring our beloved stars.

When it comes to those obscure, black and white shorts from the 30s and early-to-mid 40s (which some of those feature the lesser-known, unrecognizable stars such as Bosko, Honey, Bruno, Buddy, Cookie, Beans, Sniffles, ect. and some that feature Porky Pig and others, ect.), it's probably best that both Cartoon Network/Boomerang doesn't touch them. Those are more appropriate for channels like Turner Classic Movies (TMC).

I, for one, would definitely tune out if Cartoon Network/Boomerang ever began airing the obscure, black-white shorts along side with the more popular shorts of the Golden Age. I know that I definitely wouldn't be alone.

#5 Ducktales Fan, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  6. Silverstar

I don't think Turner has any interest in picking up the black-and-white shorts for either Boom or CN; nowadays black-and-white is like Kryptonite to young buds' eyes, butts and attention spans.

If I were the one sitting in the big easy chair, if I were going to acquire those shorts at all, I'd air them on Boomerang late nights once a week, say either Friday or Sunday nights somewhere between 12 AM and 1 AM, like the old Late Night Black and White show which used to run on CN. To dress them up, I'd play up the abstract, surreal angle in the ads and bumpers for them, similar to what Nick@Nite did when they aired the Sid & Marty Krofft shows from time to time.

7. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

I actually like the post 48 LT better than the pre 48 so that's not my biggest issue. Since all they seem.to be showing is post 48, couldn't they show all of the post 48 toons? I would love to see the Ralph Phillips toons.

Someone brought up Speedy. I don't know if it was by mistake, but they did show a Speedy short about a month ago. They haven't shown another since.

8. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

Do they even show "Heckling Hare" anymore? That was my favorite short, the last time I saw it was in 2011 when the Looney Tunes were brought back. Also, why is it that the pre-1948 shorts almost pretty much never air, both CN and Boom show at least one pre-1948 on rare occasions, it's like searching a book store. They showed Baseball Bugs last week on Boomerang.

9. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

They seem to show Baseball Bugs every week.

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

They could, but doing so would cost money. Turner (by which I mean Turner Broadcasting and not Ted) is probably showing all of the post-1948 shorts that have been contracted. As I said back on post #2, Warner Brothers owns the post-48 shorts, not Turner. If Turner wants to air more post-48 LT shorts, they'd have to pay for them. Turner owns the pre-1948 shorts, so they can run them as often as they want, since it doesn't cost them a dime.

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Is there any solid evidence of this? I see it used as an argument for not airing them, but I have yet to see any sort of confirmation that young kids feel downright repulsed by B&W toons.

I remember back in the day CN Latin America would air Acme Hour and ocassionaly insert one or two B&W cartoons in the mix (Usually a Porky toon, but sometimes we got Popeye). Maybe they could try something like that, with the B&W shorts airing alongside the usual color ones without making a huge deal out of it. It could even work as a test to see if people really don't want to see these shorts.

12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Uh, you're kidding, right? That was like making Bugs Bunny a selfish jerk against Speedy LOL. And with the "racism" cry against Speedy (why, WHY not just Sylvester NOT DAFFY and Speedy?):), I doubt it would happen. Good riddance, Daffy/Speedy. Why don't we have Foghorn Leghorn and Pepe Le Pew team up..?:)

#12 Steve Carras, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  13. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Speedy wasn't a racist character. The background mice (Slowpoke Rodriguez) presented a negative stereotype.

14. Silverstar

There's no official statement or press declaring such obviously; it just seems to be a mentality that TV execs seem to possess right now, since kids these days are after the generation(s) that succeeded baby boomers and those kids didn't grow up watching the earlier stuff to the degree that kids in my generation (b. 1969) did. Case in point: how retro blocks such as Nick@Nite and channels such as TV Land have been moving away from B&W shows, and what happened when Looney Tunes shorts aired on Nick back in the 90's; Nick originally aired some of the Bosko and Buddy shorts, but stopped after the first season, since apparently kids were tuning out when those shorts came on (or at least that was the implication on the network's part). Nick even aired a specially made spot announcing that they'd no longer be airing shorts from the Bosko era, though IIRC, some of the B&W shorts still aired on N@N when they aired Looney Tunes briefly.

But since there wouldn't be an issue for Turner to get those shorts, I wouldn't see a problem with CN or Boom airing them if they so chose to. I wouldn't mind that just because it would be something different; I stopped watching LT on both channels months ago because I got tired of seeing the same shorts over and over.

15. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

We use to have some B&W cartoons in our own Looney Tunes installment, even include Scrap Happy Daffy uncut in the lot. A another installment from a separate network use to play three half-hour shows just of B&W cartoons (As Hollywood Capers and Porky Pig's feat) in their glorious B&W. This is not because kids don't like B&W stuffs, but mostly because TV standards seems to hate it more than the audience they interact from.

16. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

There's still the question-why revive tose Why not show SYLVESTER an Speedy? Those later ones in my opinion should be dumped in Lake Michigan.: That is the real point
    thatI had wanted to ring up. I'd rather they not show Daffy LOL., D

17. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

Why not show ALL of Speedy? Believe it or not but some do want to see ALL of his cartoons regardless how others perceive them to be.

18. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

I get what you're saying. It's gets too annoying watch the same Looney Tunes shorts everyday. I think the reason why they're showing the same shorts is to familiarize the kids who never experienced Looney Tunes by introducing the Characters. What I don't seem to understand is why they're airing the exact same shorts on Boomerang. I understand why they're airing them on CN, but Boomerang should be airing shorts like "Hare Conditioned", "Peck up Your Troubles", and "Dog Collared" for example, at least give us different shorts because not everyone has Boomerang. You can air the same ones on CN, but Boomerang is meant for Classics meaning that they should air more than what CN are airing. Too bad there's nothing we can do about except watch the ones that we'd like to see on TV again from the Internet.

19. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

If I were head of Turner, I'd dish out every last cent to show remastered versions of the LT shorts like "Duck Amuck".

I'd also bring back the Speedy Gonzales shorts since that's what people want so badly.

20. classictoonami

I would get all the shorts including Taz the animated series none of loonatics unleashed