1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Show your fan art!

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by takineko, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Figured I'd try and see if anyone here likes this one:
    [​IMG]

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

EVIL MONTANA MAX!

3. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

I think that's your best yet, proportion wise.

Well my Yakko sculpture is baked and all but its taking my friend forever to send me the pic via the internet. [I send it to her from my phone she uploads it, we have a system here]. I need to sandpaper it some more, fill in some mistakes and re-sandpaper it. I tried making a mold of it, the mold needs alot of work, its not really usable. I should probably just make a different mold.

4. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

takineko: When should the Yakko sculpture be finished up? Before Christmas or after Christmas?

5. takineko

I have no idea.
    It shouldn't have taken this long except that I have a hard time getting to my uncle to move it along.
    It's done save a few details and I just need to work on a mold of it so I can make more/chocolate ones.

Oh I forgot to mention, I'm working on Dot now too.

6. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Ha ha, he wasn't really that nice to begin with anyway.

7. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

Babs Dodge

Here's my latest.It's my first really serious attempt at an original pose for Babs, rather than just copying a model sheet. It took a month to do, and I'm still not completely satisfied with it, but it'll have to do because I was getting tired of it, and the paper was starting to wear out.

She's supposed to look like she's dodging something by leaping out of the way.

#187 Framwinkle, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008
  8. takineko

I finished the Yakko sculpture but I have no pics to show DX
    I still need to work on his mold before I can make any copies, or chocolate Yakkos.

Here's Dot's progress

[​IMG]

9. egfelixdcg

egfelixdcg Member

Very nice! The flower on her head came out really well. I also like the eyebrows. A little tall for what I'm used to see her like.

10. takineko

Eyebrows are tall or her body is tall?
    Yeah she's still a work in progress.

11. egfelixdcg

egfelixdcg Member

I meant her body. That doesn't indicate it is bad. It could be your style.

12. takineko

Yeah, I felt like her legs were somehow longer than I expected. In 3D it's odd because you know, they go up under her skirt so they seem even longer to me..

13. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

Any updates on that sculpture, Tak? You've taken up a difficult task; the Warners don't seem to easily translate into 3D. Plenty of merchandise was passable, but not much stood out as excellent in terms of likeness, especially when put up against the better of the TMS renditions. Good sculpts of Dot might even be more rare than ones of her brothers. I may also be hard to please. :p

Aside from all that, it looks like you're coming along well enough. I like the way personal styles come through in Animaniacs fan art, so I'll keep any stylistic comments to myself. Thus, rather than fretting about leg length, I'd worry about more technical things, like the skew in posture; I can't make sense of the way her legs connect to her hips.

Lastly, the most interesting detail to me is your stance on Dot's Hair: The Aerial View Debate. (Yeah, yeah, folks, I needed some excuse to bring it up again...) You appear to fall into the curved forwards category, under the swept back variety. I may have to request a top-down view. ;)

--Romey

14. takineko

Thanks alot.
    [what is your icon from btw?]

I would have to say I believe Dot's hair curves backwards [obviously I sculpted it that way.] This is because well, you can see the point reaching behind her head from her profile view. However my uncle made a strange observation which changed how I decided to sculpt her hair. He made it more concave toward the front. Even in your little diogram, the hair is convex, rounding out and back, so I thought this was interesting, but it did help the view from different angles, so I went with it. I'm having a hard time getting it to look like hair and not ears though.

I finally got some shots of Yakko up but I'm dissapointed they didn't come out well. His sandpapering made him look like he's got white scratches all over and so he's not very photogenic. But he actually is rather smooth.
    http://takineko.deviantart.com/art/Yakko-baked-and-sandpapered-109942203

15. Roman Legion

It's from an insert in an old TV Guide. If you do a Google image search for animaniacs christmas, you'll find a scan of it on the second or third link. I used to have a better scan of it, myself, but I've no idea where it went.

The way you have it sculpted is what I'd meant by "curved forward" - concave from the front and convex from the back. I seem to have confused a lot of people over the years by the way I phrased that... Anyway, I don't know of any other example of Dot being modeled that way in 3D, so I'm glad to see it in action for once!

Hmm, never tried sandpapering sculpey before. Even though it's slightly pliable, I'm surprised you managed to do it without breaking anything, given the slender figure. Any idea how you're going to go about painting and finishing him?

--Romey

16. takineko

Well it's hard enough once it's baked to take sand paper, and sanding drill bits to it. I'm surprised I didn't break anything either. Once in the car on the way to the studio, he tipped over and broke his tail. My heart sank. But we were able to glue him back together easily enough.

I wish I could say when I'd be painting and finishing him. I'm planning to buy some supplies this week to help fix his chipped places and make his mold. Hopefully we'll be able to get somewhere with the mold on Sunday. [I go to the studio every sunday when I can.] I'm not sure what material the copies will be yet. I'm going to see what my uncle has in mind. I've heard resin works well and is cheap. And I do want to make chocolate versions, or candy versions if it's possible. I need to re-draw my Wakko design this week and I'll probably get his armature started Sunday too. Dot is pretty close to being ready for the next step -- smoothing everything out. Then she'll be ready to bake too. I was told for the sculpy versions, I should use paints design for models.

I'm kind of beside myself as to what I'm going to do once I can make all the copies I want. Because I can name dozens and dozens of people I'd like to send copies to. Plus I've promised copies to Animaniacs clubs where people can win them and I'd ship them for free. I've no idea how I'm going to ship them safely yet or how much it will cost, or what size boxes to use, or where to get them. Woohoo!

17. Roman Legion

Erk. It's a good thing sculpey is fairly easy to repair, eh?

Ahh, moldmaking, so messy and potentially hazardous. I'm jealous. :D

Building the molds ought to be interesting. The tails kinda force you into a three-piece situation. Would it be like a matrix mold or something? You will take pics of the process, won't you? ;)

Are you making two different molds for each piece? I wouldn't want to use a mold for chocolate after casting resin in it. With that in mind, I'm guessing food-grade silicone rubber for the chocolate, but I'm assuming plain latex would suffice for the resin. Enough questions? :sweat:

I'd normally suggest a few layers of tissue paper, a layer of bubble wrap, and packing peanuts, but those tails would be problematic. I've seen some air-filled plastic cushions before, which you could put on either side of the tails before wrapping them with tissue paper, but I've no idea where you could get them. Shipping costs shouldn't be too bad for mid-sized resin figures, so long as gas prices don't spike again in the near future.

--Romey

18. takineko

You catch on quick don't ya? Yes, there will be 3 parts to the mold. The funny thing is, I was fantisizing about making my mold, and I knew that just having 1 rubbery mold would let the chocolate poor out if I were to make a chocolate figure, so I actually dreamed up the concept of a master mold before ever being told anything about mold making. Then of course my uncle and his friend were like, yes, that's a master mold. And I paused a moment and I was like.. yeah well I invented it! I'm a genious I tell you! Anyway I didn't realize I'd need a 3rd mold between my rubbery one and the master mold so I'm not such a genious. Now that you've said that.. I think I'll keep that in mind, taking photos of the mold process :D

... You know, I hadn't thought much about it at first, because when I first learned of the material to make the rubbery first mold, I was told oh yeah it's ok if it touches sculpy you can just wash it out before making candy. But I'm not sure what material I'll be using for the copies so I really need to ask my uncle about that. But if it turns out it would be unhealthy to make chocolate in the same mold as the solid copies, I'll just make a second rubbery mold. They're not hard to make I don't suppose.

Hmmmm.. Yeah and it's not just the tails, the ears and arms are so skinny! I think it would be cool if I could make a perfect size hole in a thick chunck of styrofoam. [I've never typed the word Styrofoam before, I had to look up the spelling lol]

19. warnerbro7

warnerbro7 pretty cute huh?

nice pics im kind of new to this but do you know how i can put my pictures on the fourum

20. takineko

There's a button above the area where you type. If you rest your curser over it it should say, [insert image]. It is the fifth from the right.