1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shout! Factory's MST3K on DVD Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 22, 2008.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Set 29 comes out in stores this Tuesday but if you've ordered it from Shout! Factory, you probably have it already.

Some random comments:
    -This is going to make sound like an old coot, but Mamie Van Doren is HOT in Untamed Youth. That factor alone probably helped make that episode one of the better season 1 episodes, though in fairness the riffs were okay (not great) and the movie's plot was easy to follow, so that helped too.
    -Hercules and the Captive Women admittedly had some LOL riffs but I've never been a big fan of the "foreign adventure epic" movies featured on the show. The first segment was interesting in that Gypsy actually joins Joel and the bots! She ditches them after only a few minutes, though. (Joel revealed in the episode intro that the reason they wrote Gypsy into that segment was because the first few minutes of the movie had too much narration, which isn't easy to riff on)
    -The Thing That Couldn't Die had some amusing running gags (everything is evil ; adding new lyrics to "Oklahoma!" ; the woman's large amount of clothing layers), but the movie is all kinds of boring. How they made a horror movie so bereft of shocking scenes, or action in general, is quite amazing, really.
    -The Pumaman, as expected, was my favorite on the set. The whole concept is so silly, and the jokes only enhance the absurdity. According to the interview with the star, Walter George Alton, he wasn't pleased with the MST treatment, although he admits that the MST episode definitely gave what would've otherwise been an obscure movie a much larger audience. BTW, you can watch Pumaman sans the riffing. The last time they did this was, what, vol. 1?

Anyone else get set 29 yet?

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

This just in: According to mst3kinfo.com, vol. 30's episodes will be:

113- The Black Scorpion
    519- Outlaw (Of Gor)
    901-The Projected Man
    1010- It Lives By Night

Excellent. Excellent. [/Mr. Burns] I will love owning Gor ("You disgusting WORM!"), The Projected Man (Lembach!), and It Lives By Night ("Squeak"). I'm even stoked about owning The Black Scorpion. You're the best, Shout!

#342 SB20xx, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Vol. 31's episodes:

203 - Jungle Goddess
    510 - The Painted Hills
    912 - The Screaming Skull
    1012 - Squirm

I'm glad Shout! was able to overcome the copyright issues with the Gumby short. And "The Painted Hills" is one of the funniest Joel episodes. This should be another good set.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The line-up for Vol. 32 was announced today:

401 - Space Travelers (aka Maroooned)
    502 - Hercules
    520 - Radar Secret Service (w/ The Last Clear Chance) (Why don't they look?)
    614 - San Francisco International

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

It was a longer wait than usual this time, but XXXIII's titles are finally announced:

-Daddy-o ("Gym policy.")
    -Earth vs. The Spider (Earth vs. Soup!)
    -Teen-Age Crime Wave
    -Agent For H.A.R.M. ("Bah bah BAHDAHHHH!!" "It's not happening.")

Extreeeeeeemely happy about H.A.R.M. (sorry)

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Vol. 35 contents announced today:

315- Teenage Caveman
    405- Being from Another Planet
    524- 12 To The Moon
    703- Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell

Good to have another season 7 episode on there, even if it's not the one I've been waiting for (The Incredible Melting Man).

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Vol. 2 (you know, the volume released WAAAAAY back in 2003) is also being re-issued. I'm surprised; I didn't think they still owned the rights to Angels' Revenge. I'll have to get this set, as it's one of the few MST volumes I don't own.

8. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Already own that volume, but as the link says, I'd advise anyone who's even remotely an MST3K fan to get that set ASAP before it skyrockets in price. "Soultaker" is one of the best Sci-Fi episodes, and "Final Justice" is pretty funny too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

New volume's episodes: Stranded in Space, City Limits, The Incredible Melting Man, and Riding With Death.

In the words of Buffalo Bill: "WOWWWWWW!!! Woowwwwww!!!"

• Like Like x 2
  11. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Finally. They got "Melting Man". Life is now complete.

"Got. Milk?" Such a dated reference now, but that line still slays me.

12. wonderfly

Just discovered this: Volume 39 of MST3K is set to come out this November.

But here's the sad news: This is apparently going to be the last set to be released on DVD.

This set will include:

The Amazing Transparent Man
    Girls Town
    Diabolik
    “Satellite Dishes”

“Satellite Dishes” is being billed as "a collection of the host segments from episodes from the remaining unreleased episodes" (basically all the episodes they can't get the rights to release, and it appears they never will be able to get the rights).

Those episodes include:

Ep #201 Rocketship X-M
    Ep #212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
    Ep #213 Godzilla Vs. The Sea Monster
    Ep #309 The Amazing Colossal Man
    Ep #311 It Conquered the World
    Ep #416 Fire Maidens from Outer Space
    Ep #418 The Eye Creatures
    Ep #807 Terror from the Year 5000
    Ep #809 I Was A Teenage Werewolf
    Ep #905 The Deadly Bees
    Ep #906 The Space Children
    Ep #913 Quest of the Delta Knights

As far as "unreleased episodes", it's not quite an accurate list: "Godzilla Vs. Megalon" was released by Rhino on DVD "Vol. 12", briefly, until Toho studios pulled the rights and had the DVD's yanked off the shelves (and they had to re-release the DVD set with a different movie). But some people out there do own the Vol. 12 version with the Godzilla movie. Also, "The Amazing Colossal Man" was briefly released from Rhino, years ago, on VHS. Not on DVD. This was long before Shout Factory got the rights. Those were the very early days of Rhino having the rights to the series, in the late 90's...

But other than that, those movies listed above are apparently never seeing release under the MST3K brand.

Here's a good article on this, for what appears to be the end of an era. Shout Factory came such a long way with the series (as evidenced by this long running thread).

#352 wonderfly, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yeah, I'm disappointed that they couldn't get the rights to The Deadly Bees, Quest of the Delta Knights, and The Space Children. Still, kudos to Shout! for clearing as many as they did.

I wonder if the Netflix episodes are being released next.

14. wonderfly

The latest season? Yeah, I would think so. I'm curious how they will release it on DVD: They recently released all 12 episodes of "Cinematic Titanic" in one set (that's the other MST3K spin-off besides Rifftrax). I bought that one, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Shout Factory does such a nice job on the DVD sets (though sometimes they can be pricey), but I just wonder if they can get around to releasing sets of "Rifftrax" films in bundle sets. I'm imagining a set with 4 Rifftrax films, like "The Galaxy Invader", "Frankenstein Island", "Prisoners of the Lost Universe", and "Cyborg Cop II".

All sorts of options out there...

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I bought the Cinematic Titanic set too. Surprisingly, I liked the live episodes more than the silhouette ones. I guess it was because the audience laughter was infectious and in a few instances the performers ad-libbed due to audience reaction, which was fun to see.

I'd place "East Meets Watts", "War of the Insects", and "Danger on Tiki Island" on par with some of the better MST3K episodes.

In terms of the silhouette episodes, my favorite was "The Wasp Woman", followed by the re-riff of "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians".

• Agree Agree x 1
    #355 SB20xx, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  16. wonderfly

It just occurred to me: If Shout Factory really wanted more material to distribute onto DVD, I still see no reason why they couldn't do episode sets from "Season Zero".

Not the stuff that was redone in Season 3, but stuff that hasn't been broadcast since 1988/1989, stuff like:

"The Green Slime"
    "Invaders from the Deep"
    "Revenge of the Mysterons from Mars"
    "Phase IV"
    "Cosmic Princess"
    "Humanoid Woman"
    "SST - Death Flight"
    "Superdome"
    "City on Fire"
    "The Million Eyes of Sumuru"
    "Hanger 18"
    "The Last Chase"
    "The Legend of Dinosaurs"

That's enough for another 3 sets, right there. I know some of these are really bad, but some are pretty close to "Season 1" level quality.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

They were going to include some KTMA segments in the last set but they decided against it because the materials weren't up to their standards. I wouldn't count on those anytime soon.