1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shout! Factory's MST3K on DVD Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Coleman Francis films are epic level badness.

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I still prefer The Skydivers and The Beast of Yucca Flats, myself. Both are just endlessly quotable ("It seems like they forgot to have things happen in this movie.") :)

3. Philo & Gunge

Philo & Gunge brb lunch

Perhaps someone can help out a guy trying to get back into MST3K...

I'm trying to get caught up on MST3K DVD releases I've missed through the years (last one I got was the 20th anniversary collection) and I've been wondering which of the MST3K DVDs that have been put out since 2008 are really the best ones worth my time and money. I'm sure they are all great but my budget is limited and I only want what I'm sure will have re-watchability factor. For the record, Rhino sets are worth mentioning as well, my MST3K DVD collection isn't that big (though I do have the original vol. 10, mwhahahaha).

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

My recommendations, along with the reasons why I recommend them:

-XVI - Santa Claus
    -XVII - The Crawling Eye (AKA the very first nationally televised produced episode of the series), The Final Sacrfice (ROWSDOWER!!!)
    -XVIII - The Beast of Yucca Flats (Coleman Francis + Tor Johnson + "Flag on the moon"), Jack Frost (a film that's enjoyable even without Mike and the 'Bots)
    -MST3K vs. Gamera - All five Gamera episodes from season 3
    -XXIV - Fugitive Alien I & II (He tried to kill me with a forklift!), Samson vs. the Vampire Women (AKA the last episode to feature TV's Frank as a regular character)

Also, you may want to preoder XXV, as the lineup includes Robot Holocaust (which I heard is one of the highlights of season 1), Operation Double 007 (AKA the return of Torgo), and Revenge of the Creature (first episode of the show's "Sc-Fi Network" era + a film featuring one of the classic Universal monsters).

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Each volume has at least one or two episodes I would consider good (in the sense that it got me to laugh out loud pretty frequently). But since you're trying to be really selective right now, I'd say that at least for me, vol. 5 ("Boggy Creek II", "Touch of Satan", "Time Chasers", "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders") is the best in terms of consistency. Every episode on that set is above average. If you like the Sci-Fi era, you're sure to like that set.

And yes, XXV will be worth owning as well.

6. J. B. Warner

Episodes That Will Be on Vol. XXVI « Satellite News

411- THE MAGIC SWORD
    516- ALIEN FROM L.A.
    620- DANGER! DEATH RAY
    803- THE MOLE PEOPLE

"Danger!! Death Ray" is my absolute favorite Season 6 episode ("Oh come on, what about 'he really fell for me'? Or 'his hopes are crushed'?"), so I'm psyched for this. :D

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I don't think I've seen The Magic Sword. Or if I did, I don't remember much about it. A lot of those fantasy films featured on the show tend to run together for me.

Alien From L.A. is a really really bad movie (could Kathy Ireland have any more annoying of a voice in this film?), and I don't think the riffs were all that spectacular either.

Don't remember much about Danger! Death Ray, but I look forward to seeing it again anyway. Wasn't that the episode with the stinger being a watch in the pool?

Kinda wish The Leech Woman would've been chosen instead of The Mole People, but I'm just glad we're getting more Universal episodes. And Sci-Fi episodes in general.

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

That's the one.

While I do wish that The Leech Woman would get released possibly later this year (JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!), I could see why The Mole People is getting released on DVD before The Leech Woman:

1. It's probably better to the get the Sci-Fi MST3K episodes in which Mike and the 'Bots are riffing the "good" Universal films (Revenge of the Creature, The Mole People) out of the way first, since we don't know how long Shout Factory's video release deal with Universal Pictures will last (although it does feel that the company may be saving up some Universal horror films that they plan to release as part of the "Scream Factory" brand for Halloween 2013).

2. The Mole People is most likely a favorite among the crew at MST3K, given how the Deep 13 assistants in season 2 are based on the mole creatures in the film (and the fact that they can easily recognize footage from this film when it was used as stock footage in The Wild World of Batwoman).

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Best Buy, you suck. This is the first time since I've been collecting these sets that BB hasn't had the new set in stores on release day. And it doesn't sound like they'll be carrying it in stores at all. I guess you don't want my money, BB.

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

FTR, I've updated this post. Little by little, this list is shrinking and I love that.

This might be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway: I've noticed that certain episodes from out-of-print DVD sets are available as standalone episodes on iTunes. However, not all of them are. Is that due to expired rights for select episodes? Because I'd love to own the "Hobgoblins" episode without having to buy the vol. 8 set (as I didn't really like the other episodes on that set- "The Dead Talk Back" was OK but the "Monster a Go-Go" film was wretched and "The Phantom Planet" movie itself honestly felt unsettling), but sadly it's not available on its own.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Eep... sorry for the triple post, but extras have been announced for the next volume. I -love- it when Shout manages to score interviews with the directors of these films. My personal favorite interview was with David Worth, the guy who directed Warrior of the Lost World; he gave out his e-mail address and challenged the viewers to debate the movie with him. Classic.

12. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

I believe they're making there way through the out-of-print episodes they still have the rights to slowly but surely. If you want an official single release I'm afraid the only thing to do is have patience.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Finished vol. 25. Good set, probably the most consistent in a while. "Robot Holocaust" was one of the better season 1 episodes (admittedly that isn't too hard to do), "007" was mostly good (and had a -hilarious- skit where Joel and the bots compared the wildly different careers of Sean and Neil Connery), "Kitten With a Whip" was not only funny but actually had an interesting plot (in that campy B-movie sort of way), and "Revenge of the Creature" was a fine, if not spectacular, debut on a new channel. Its next episode, "The Leech Woman", had more belly laughs but "Revenge" wasn't bad by any means.

As always, the "Life After MST3K" docs are welcome. Of the two, I actually found the J. Elvis Weinstein one to be more interesting, since he was speaking from the vantage point of the only cast member to leave very quickly after the show began.

Random thoughts:
    -It was an odd directorial choice to have a Looney Tunes cartoon ("Canned Feud") playing in the background during one scene in "Kitten With a Whip". It really killed whatever tension they were going for by having wacky cartoon music and sound effects practically overpowering the dialog. Loved when Mike and the bots said, "Hey, something GOOD!" and asked the main character to get out of the way so we could see Sylvester.
    -"Operation Double 007" had one of the worst stingers ever. It's just the villain pointing his gun. They couldn't come up with something better than that?
    -"Robot Holocaust" had some of the worst acting I've ever seen in any movie. Did the uncut version of this movie have some gratuitous nudity in there somewhere? That's the only way I could see an audience putting up with the film in the days before the internet.
    -"Revenge of the Creature" has a surprise cameo by a young Clint Eastwood. Loved them adding "...Punk!" after one of his lines.

14. J. B. Warner

There's very little riffing during that scene (John Forsythe and Ann-Margret are talking so fast, Mike and the bots can barely get a word in edgewise), but I love their nonverbal reactions to the sound effects - all the little giggling, and Crow looking around as if trying to see where they're coming from.

Personally, I'd have gone with the guy in the Linus shirt getting flipped off the boat with a bucket on his head. I love thinking up alternate stingers ("Hercules Unchained" has another lame one - why'd they go with Queen Omphale just staring at nothing when they also had that ridiculous scene of Ulysses flipping out on Hercules' bed?)

It did - the scene where Valeria gets into that pleasure chamber dealie. That's why Joel and the bots boo when the Mads mention that the movie's been edited for television.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"Warrior of the Lost World", "The Dead Talk Back", "Red Zone Cuba", and "Devil Doll" also had some really weak stingers. I've never been a fan of the trio of Observers showing their brains, either. That dissonant music was creepy.

As for my favorites, though...

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Next MST3K DVD release will contain:
    -The Slime People
    -Rocket Attack USA
    -Village of the Giants
    -The Deadly Mantis

Wow, I'm impressed that they're still digging into the Universal episodes. Maybe there's hope for "The Leech Woman" yet.

BTW, nearly the entire first season is now accounted for on DVD. The only ones missing are "The Black Scorpion", "Moon Zero Two", and "Untamed Youth".

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Got an email from Amazon.com - THIS WEEK ONLY, they're having a huge sale on select MST3K box sets (59% off).

The sets on sale include:

Vol. XVI: The Corpse Vanishes, Warrior of the Lost World, Santa Claus, Night of the Blood Beast
    Vol. XXIII: King Dinosaur, The Castle of Fu Manchu, Operation: Diamond Head, Last of the Wild Horses
    Vol. XXIV: Fugitive Alien, Star Force: Fugitive Alien II, The Sword and the Dragon, Sampson vs. the Vampire Women
    Vol. XXV: Robot Holocaust, Kitten with a Whip, Operation Kid Brother, Revenge of the Creature

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Nice. Too bad I already own all of those sets. :)

Incidentally, I ordered vol. XXVI today. I didn't even bother to check Best Buy in-store, I know they wouldn't have it if last time was any indication.

19. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Given how Shout Factory has connections with Universal (as seen a number of the films that the company has released under the Scream Factory brand, as well as Shout Factory's release of the two made-for-TV Captain America movies starring Reb "Blast Hardcheese" Brown), it's now easier for Shout Factory to pick up the "Universal" episodes of the show (although you'd think The Leech Woman would be the next one to come out).

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

It just hit me: There isn't some issue preventing its release, is there? (a la the Susan Hart Four) It does make you wonder, given that they skipped over it and seem to be otherwise releasing the initial batch of Sci-Fi episodes in broadcast order...