Shout! Factory's MST3K on DVD Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Adam Tyner, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!

According to TV Guide, Universal is re-issuing the long, long out of print Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie with a brand new transfer on May 8th, 2008. New anamorphic widescreen transfer. A bunch of different audio options, including a 5.1 mix. Just a trailer as far as extras go. $19.98 MSRP.

2. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Oh FINALLY. It took them long enough to re-release this gem of a movie. I'll definitely be picking this up and replacing my old VHS copy, as it has one of the highest laugh-to-minute ratios of any film I've watched.

3. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

That's freakin' sweet!

I have the previous DVD, but will gladly re-buy this hilarious movie. I've been watching it countless times over the years and I still laugh out loud. I hope for some more bonus features, though. I think Comedy Central aired a behind-the-scenes special around the time of its release and some cast/crew interviews would be nice.

4. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

suck on that ebay auctioneers!!!

5. Robin2099

Robin2099 New Member

Sweet, now I can get rid of my old VHS copy.

6. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

I really wish the deleted/alternate host segments would be included, but hey, any new DVD release of this movie is worth celebrating.

7. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate New Member

I can't believe this is happening. Simply amazing.

And what's with all the VHS hate? If it weren't for VHS none of us would have even SEEN this movie before. (except for those lucky few who had a theater playing it nearby) VHS was a crucial and long-lived era of home entertainment.

8. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Oh I don't think anybody's denying that. The VHS comments are more joy because of being able to replace what is now an inferior version of the movie, not that it sucked that the MST3K movie was on VHS in the first place (because like you said, that was the main way a lot of people first saw the film, as it didn't do too well at the box office).

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Finally, people won't have to pay inflated prices on ebay for the first DVD print anymore:)

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I had no idea the existing DVD was fetching such prices. Now I wish I had stockpiled copies. Haha!! I got mine at Suncoast in 1999 for about $10, and they had several copies that night. (The employees even had it playing on the store TV screens that night, which reminded me that I didn't have it yet.)

Does anybody know how many theaters it was released to? I thought I once read it was only about 60-something. My dad and I had to drive to another city about an hour away because that's the closest it was playing to us.

11. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I believe the movie was only released in popular college populated areas in limited release, with the intent to go wider if the movie became a hit, which I'm shocked as to why it didn't.

I'm definately picking it up, although it's odd that the movie's shorter than any episode of the t.v. show. I'd have loved to see them riff on the full length version of 'This Island Earth'.

12. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Well, that makes sense. My dad and I saw it in Palo Alto, which is about where Stanford University is.

I remember reading that the studio requested the finished film be edited for length after test screenings resulted in audiences members claiming to lose interest around the 70-minute mark. So it's possible they originally did riff on the full-length version, but then it was just cut down afterwards. :( Would be cool if Universal restored any and all stuff that was cut.

Man, I'm in the mood now. Think I'll pop the DVD in tonight after dinner. I never get tired of watching this. So many memorable moments. One of my favorites is "*gasp* He touched me!" :D

13. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

I don't see this news posted in this forum, and I'll just stick it here for the moment, as it's kind of related to the topic.

Shout! Factory has picked up worldwide home entertainment and digital distribution rights to all MST3K episodes and plans to release them all, either to DVD or digitally. Source is the Hollywood Reporter. First part of the story (click the link to read the full thing):

Gotta love the shout-out in the article headline, even if it makes no sense: "Hands of Fate: 'MST3K' at Shout!"

14. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

Release them ALL?

Good luck.

15. Golgo13

Golgo13 Sup?

About time. I use to rent this from a video store when I was young and I watched it so many times I could quote it by heart. I was almost considering just buying This Island Earth on DVD so I could riff it myself. Thank goodness I put it off. A must buy indeed.

16. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

No way they can release them all.

But I'm sure Shout! will do a great job and put a lot of effort behind the show. I know Rhino has recieved a lot of flak for their treatment of the series, but I've just been thankful that someone has been releasing the show consistantly.

17. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Oh my god, if Shout! Factory somehow manages to put out full season sets, I will give them my firstborn.

18. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I doubt we'll get "full" season releases, but we'll probably get more than the four disc compilations that Rhino's been giving. The early seasons might be incomplete, but I have a feeling that Sci Fi seasons will be for the most part, complete come season set time.

The episodes, being 90 minutes each, can squeeze two eps onto a single disc (Rhino managed to fit the original, complete movies MST3K spoofed certain discs), so that'd come out to about 12 episodes per set if Shout went with six disc sets.

19. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Ten Years on TZ!

They can't possibly release them all.

I know there's one company they'd never be able to work the rights issue out with. That would be Toho, who were responsible for the quick recall of DVD volume 10. "Godzilla vs Megalon" and "Godzilla vs the Sea Monster" are no-gos.

20. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

To those channeling Wallace Shawn ("Release them all? Incontheivable!") I'd point out that the deal also covers digital distribution, which I suppose means Shout! could dump a bunch of them online and call that a "release." Shrug.