Shout! Factory to release Sentai DVDs

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Storm Eagle, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

At the Comic-Con, Shout! Factory announced at their panel that they'd be releasing DVDs of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger (Dinosaur Task Force Beast Ranger). It's the series from which Mighty Morphin Power Rangers season 1 is derived, for those who don't know.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/492860023639252992

After spending the money on their PR DVDs, I'll definitely be getting that. It would especially be good for referential purposes. Perhaps the rest of the Sentai after Zyuranger will get releases as well, but I'd actually be happy with just Zyuranger. If they're going to do one, I guess Zyuranger would have to be it.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

That's actually pretty cool. Is this the first time Super Sentai will be available in DVD in America?

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

JFTR They can't release Battle Fever J unless Shout!Factory gets Disney on board (its the only Sentai the mouse house controls some rights over because of Marvel).

4. Storm Eagle

Yes.
    I think Shout! Factory is only concerned about Zyuranger and on anyway.

5. Sarada

Sarada Reporter

This was a bit of a surprise. Japan does exist, after all!

6. Ben Garrett

Ben Garrett New Member

I hope this sells well to show Shout so that more Sentai will come out. While anything power rangers before samurai is nice, it would be good to have more variety on the plate. I could see them doing Dairanger if only for Kibaranger

7. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem New Member

Compatriots,

the pr dvds must have sold really well for them to consider doing this. never saw sentai before but i'll give it a shot when its released.

8. Storm Eagle

Now that I think about it, if they'd do more than just Zyuranger, then perhaps they'd go up to Kakuranger at least, since those two, as well as Dairanger, cover MMPR.

9. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi 30 Years of Turtle Power

Well, Shout already has a relationship with Marvel, as they've release Marvel Knights motion comic DVDs and I think Superhero Squad as well. If Shout can get the rights to all kinds of MST3K movies Rhino couldn't, I think they could possibly get the rights to all the Sentai series.

10. 09MurphyM

09MurphyM Active Member

I wonder why it took them this long to start releasing Sentai DVDs in the first place.

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I'm definitely interested. OTOH, I'm told that later Power Rangers seasons had recreated some fight scenes because the source footage was "too violent". Is this something to be concerned about with Zyurangers?

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if this means we might see the three (I believe) shows that were used to create VR Troopers. Masked Rider Black RX, maybe? While not related to Power Rangers or Saban, I wonder if Mill Creek Entertainment (or if not them, S!F or some other company) would consider releasing the original Gridman (which was used for "Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad").

I would like to say that I hope that this leads to the Super Sentai franchise being picked up for legal streaming, but I'll keep that expectation in check for now...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

The DVD market is dead, this must've been a legal nightmare, and it's a niche property. I'm surprised as hell to hear this.

13. Storm Eagle

Way to kill the buzz, man. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

14. Storm Eagle

I forgot I made this thread.

So now we've got an Amazon listing, and the release date is February 17th of next year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=mysticpoint04-20&linkId=K25FOIE6QLSNLI2F

The 3-dimensional shot of the package has the spine saying that it'll have 8 discs, and the listing itself says it'll have 10 discs. The listing is correct.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/530421090347413506

So far, it seems like the only bonus feature it'll have is a panel featuring Zyuranger actors from a panel at Power Morphicon from earlier this year.

Pre-order Shout! Factory Zyuranger: The Complete Series - RangerCrew Blog

15. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Wow!! I didn't even know this was happening!!

16. Lord Dalek

"DVD/Blu-ray/Physical media is dead" is an exaggeration perpetuated by HTF nincompoops/iPhone owners. It ain't goin' anywhere.

17. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

Better one bonus than no bonus.
    Sweet to finally see this stateside in a legal non-convention booth questionable way:sweat:.
    Really hope they continue this with the other series, I have a Dairanger tape I've been wanting a translation for since I was a kid.

18. Storm Eagle

On the Zyuranger front, some people have actually gotten their sets early.

-There's an option to turn the subtitles on or off.
    -There are five episodes per disc.
    -The promo for Dairanger is included at the end of the 50th and final episode.
    -The panel featuring the Zyuranger actors at Power Morphicon is the only special feature included, and is of course on the final disc of the set.
    -The preview for Zyuranger is on this set.
    -The episodes have previews for the ones that follow right after.

Shout! Factory Zyuranger DVD's Released Early, Images/Screencaps! - Tokunation

19. Lord Dalek

Hey any bonus on a sentai set is better than what Japan usually gets.

As for seeing whether or not Toei continues with this, I'm not sure. On one hand it would be awesome if we got maybe Liveman or Bioman or Timeranger official releases here (not Dairanger though...that show's meh). On the other hand, outside of Zyuranger there's no real selling factor to most of these shows outside of the diehard fans and they will lose money eventually. So where they go from here is a bit of a challenge.

As for other shows, every American child should have a copy of Space Sheriff Shaider Episode 39 in their collection. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

20. Storm Eagle

If they do more, then I'm sorry to say that Dairanger would be the one they're likely to do next, and I believe they've said so themselves. After all, it's more relevant to Power Rangers than the first two that you mentioned, and Timeranger is further down the line. I think they'll at least make it up to Kakuranger, but I'd personally be fine if they only did Zyuranger.

Since you mentioned Shaider episode 39, I remember how they had a monster that seemed like it was modeled after Santa Claus. Saban could have adapted it for the Christmas-themed VR Troopers episode, but they didn't seem interested in having any battle action in their Christmas episodes back then.