1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Universal do a sequel to "The Lorax"?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Carlos Gutierrez, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Carlos Gutierrez

Would anybody like to suggest Universal and Illumination Entertainment making a sequel to "The Lorax (2012)" with Danny DeVito, Ed Helms, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift, and Jenny Slate reprising their roles of The Lorax, The Once-ler, Ted, Audrey, and Mrs. Wiggins respectively and with John Powell returning to compose the music? And should Grammy Norma get a new voice actress since Betty White is 95 and a half years old unless Betty returns to reprise her role?

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I don't know what they can do with a sequel. Besides that movie didn't do well outside of the US and I'm pretty sure most people hated it.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

The movie didn't do that well to merit a sequel and some cast choices were really strange.

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Has a Dr Seuss film ever gotten a sequel when the book itself didn't have a sequel?

5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

They made over $214 million. Just quit while you are ahead. Not everything should get a sequel.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

That's actually untrue. Overall global box office wise this movie did 344 million. And considering how it only cost 70 million to make that still nets a fair profit for Universal and Illumination if they actually wanted to do the movie. And yeah 344 is their second lowest grossing movie (next to the CGI/live action Hop which yeah will not only likely ever get a sequel but show Illumination will be fine just making CGI flicks without any life action in them) but it was only their third movie as well and 200+ domestic for an animated movie still is fairly impressive. I mean Cars 2 couldn't even clear that yet for some reason we got a Cars 3 and obviously with the marketting they did with the first Lorax they could of done another.

However I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen because Illumination has no interest as does... anyone else until the person who created this thread. I mean the original Lorax film wasn't really terribly well liked as many people pointed out how disloyal and unfaithful it was to the original source material. Do you really want another one to be made to further go against the environmentalism lesson of the original book and 70's animated special were able to convey? Not to mention even by the low standards of stories in Illumination sequels there is no real plot you could wring out of this that would fill a movie. Even the most bare bone or moronic plot wouldn't really work even with how the film ended as the Suess movies are meant to just be adapations of the book. Usually not very good ones but they aren't suppose to start their own franchises or anything. Thus why if Grinch does well next year we won't see another Grinch movie (at least Grinch in Whoville stuff as I could see them adapating Grinch Night or the Grinch Grinches The Cat In The Hat as films) but just probably more Suess films. I also imagine the Widow of Suess's estate probably wouldn't allow such a thing to happen anyway. I mean remember Cat in the Hat was so bad and did so terribly she made sure no one could ever do a theatrical live action adapation of Suess films ever again. So I'm sure she'd probably have a similiar thought process on sequels if they aren't based on her husband's stories.

• Like Like x 2
    #6 Neo Ultra Mike, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Wanted no-one ever.

8. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

The movie basically took a classic Dr. Seuss story and framed it with a generic kid-has-a-crush-on-an-older-girl plot with an environmental lesson tacked onto it. And then they gave it a happy ending.

Even if Dr. Seuss HAD written a Lorax 2, they shouldn't make a Lorax 2.

9. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

There's no real reason for a sequel since the book never had one, and the movie stretched the premise too far from what I hear. I never saw the reason for it anyway because of the fact that the animated special based on the book existed and followed it exactly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

It's also helps that:

1. The special was written by Dr. Seuss himself;
    2. Any changes that were made between the book version and TV special were better handled than the film (i.e. the Once-ler having internal conflict about the his business once all the animals that habitat the area start to leave; the idea that while progress is a necessity, there still needs to be some control when it comes to it).

11. Carlos Gutierrez

I really want Jenny Slate to reprise her role of Mrs. Wiggins immediately!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Why bother? The Lorax doesn't need a sequel. There are plenty of other Seuss books that Illumination can adapt into movies. If the new Grinch does good (let's hope it's better then the live-action Jim Carrey version), then they could easily do The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Thidwick, Yertle the Turtle or Horton Hatches the Egg instead of trying to fabricate their own story with the pre-existing Seuss characters.

13. Carlos Gutierrez

But what about Jenny Slate reprising her role of Mrs. Wiggins?

14. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

It's not happening.

• Like Like x 1
  15. EJLD4Ever

That's not a good enough reason to make a sequel in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

..... What? That... that can't be your reason for wanting to see a sequel to the Lorax. I mean no one would be that... I mean what kind of person.... and why would you admit to....

... *sighs breathing in a few times* Okay for the sake of civilty I am biting my tongue on really delving into my feelings on why you would ask such a... "random" thing but here's the thing:

No one makes a sequel to a movie just so a C-tier character can be voiced again by someone's favorite voice actress!

Dude if you want to see Jenny Slate in animated roles, she's done plenty. This year alone she did Harley Quinn in Lego Batman and Valerie Da Vinci in Despicable Me 3. Heck on TV she's VAing characters in Star Vs The Forces of Evil and Bob's Burger and has probably plenty of other work lined up. If you want to hear her voice in more projects trust me you will. There's no need to make a sequel to this just to hear it. Like seriously man she didn't bring anything specific or interesting to the role either so it's not like a once in a life time special performance or anything. So no more of this kind of talk okay?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Carlos Gutierrez

Well, Mrs. Wiggins said that she had a remote controlled tree called the Oak-amatic which was set to summer, autumn, winter, and disco. And she also said that Sunday is family time because she, Ted, and Grammy Norma play board games on that day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Carlos Gutierrez

Would Grammy Norma be getting a new voice actress anytime soon?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. EJLD4Ever

Not a hope. Carlos, I'll repeat myself and others only one more time: There WILL NOT be a Lorax sequel. The movie virtually bombed at the box office, which means a sequel would do even worse. Also, as it's been said before, the Seuss estate has very strict regulations on how the characters can be used, so the idea of the characters being in a story that did not originate from Mr. Ted Geisel himself is something that his estate wouldn't be too keen on. Even projects like Universal Studios' theme park attraction Seuss Landing and the puppet show The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss had to jump through a whole lot of hoops to get greenlit.

Not to sound too harsh, but please, please, PLEASE, accept the facts and give it a rest.

20. Carlos Gutierrez

The sequel should be called "The Lorax Returns".