1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Turner try to sell their animation library?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Toon Master, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, they shouldn't sell the library. Instead they should sell the streaming rights.
    Seriously, they need to make the vast library of cartoons especially the HB library out to sites like Netflix or Hulu, or even just have it all available on iTunes.

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

If Ted Turner passes away in the future...

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Ted's not calling the shots anymore. Hasn't been for some time. So what happens with him has no bearing on how Turner Broadcasting conducts its' business.

Also, as previously stated, the HB and MGM libraries are currently owned by Warner Brothers, with Turner (as in Broadcasting, not Ted) only having a small controlling interest. The Cartoon Network properties are all that's exclusively Turner's, so they couldn't sell off the HB and MGM libraries even if they wanted to.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

So is his small controlling interest why the company is not totally integrated/dissolved?

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Theirs, not 'his'. It's Turner Broadcasting holding the minor controlling interest license in the MGM and HB properties, not Ted Turner himself. Business-wise, Ted's out of the picture. Ted stepped down as head of Turner Broadcasting in 2006, and he was basically a figurehead for several years before that. He has nothing to do with the current workings of the company. I have no idea why Turner/Time-Warner is so disassembled, but it's not solely because of him.

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Yeah; I wondered why after he stepped down they kept it as a separate entity.

7. andywarhol12

andywarhol12 Member

You are absolutely right, SIlverstar. Ted Turner couldn't make that sole decision in selling their animation library. I really hope they don't sell their animation library but I'm sure there are other ways to get around too it like selling the streaming rights like Dudley has stated.

8. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

That reminds me of the episodes of Snorks up on Hulu, those appear to come from a different ource from the ones on DVD, wouldn't surprise me if they're from a different company outside WB altogether.

In the case of the Smurfs, that does seem kinda tricky as I feel WB only has North American distribution of the show, as elsewhere in the world there had been DVD releases of the show that came out through different labels often from fairer quality prints (i hate to say 16mm but it does seem a tad grainy), possibly whatever the copyright owners of The Smurfs themselves could acquire on their end back in Belgium.

9. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I personally would've wanted MGM to re-acquire the rights to its properties. Can you imagine if that were to happen, the current-or recent version of MGM's famed lion emblem followed by the classic logo from the '20s through the ''50s on the studio's features-though it may scare some people? I'd love to contrast the roars of the lions.

10. sasq

sasq Active Member

Should TimeWarner sell/spin-off Turner/HBO?