Should Turner try to sell their animation library?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Toon Master, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

In all honesty with all of the talk of Boomerang becoming ad-supported (unlike what happened in late 2013) and Cartoon Network losing more and more of its air time to Adult Swim, do you think Turner should sell the classic cartoons they have? I feel like there's a possibility that CN moves its primetime shows like Adventure Time to Boomerang which is why I'm asking.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Sell to who? And why?

Turner doesn't need to sell their library, they need to utilize it more. What currently airs on Boomerang is only a fraction of what could be airing there. Why would Turner want to have less cartoons to air on their channels?

As for CN moving their prime time lineup to Da Boom, that's not likely to happen while those shows are still making first-run episodes and putting butts into seats. I don't see them getting shipped over from a basic cable channel that millions of people receive and watch regularly to a bonus tier channel that's only in a handful of homes, as that would actually be a step down and not good for business. Maybe after a few years if/when Boomerang becomes more available, and after the CN shows finish their initial network runs, Boomerang may start airing the reruns of AT and the like, but I don't see them moving from CN to Boom entirely as long as they're still going.

In any event, no, I don't think Turner should sell their classic cartoon library. They need all the toons they have at their disposal.

3. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, the WB/HB/MGM/CN Animation library is huge, it's a shame that only a few are shown. Boomerang in my country only broadcast a few classic shows, it's mostly modern remakes on the channel, but luckily in the UK, if your pay-TV provider has CN, you will more then likely get Boomerang and CN Too.

4. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

That's why I am asking the question. They haven't fully utilized their library since the early 2000's and it doesn't seem like they're going to do it anytime soon. Why not sell them to a company willing to do so or at least make shows available for syndication and not charge a ridiculous amount to air them. These cartoons are just sitting around and it's a shame.

5. coolblo25

coolblo25 New Member

I've read that press release all the way, and it looks like your channel, along with ours, and the one in Central America that's in need of TLC will finally merge as one network broadcasting similar programming worldwide. At least that's what I got from:

Now that's awkward. In relation to selling the shows, it would be great to see them back to where they're going, it looks like that thought is rendered as a fantasy now. It's just the cliché Boomerang (Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, etc.) from now on, and it will take a lot to change that.

6. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre Bile Spewer

All they control is the Cartoon Network stuff.

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Yeah, WB now handles the classic-era H-B and MGM stuff, with Turner still retaining some sort of license.

8. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

It's crazy that they have to settle licences internally, TimeWarner is probably the most unintegrated media company in existence. I don't know why Turner is still being run semi-autonomously, Ted Turner left TW back in 2006. I hope things will change after the Time Inc spinoff this year.

9. ClassicTVMan1981

ClassicTVMan1981 New Member

I think Ted is still salaried through about 2016.

I hope WB can renegotiate to keep its pre-1948 library 100%.

~Ben

10. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

I don't see how or why Turner should it's animation library and I don't see Warner losing it's pre-48 library either. I know I don't have all the details, but Warner owns Turner so there's no way the company or the library can go to somewhere else (and I want it to stay that way).

11. Eric B

Eric B New Member

I see it as possible, since Turner is not completely integrated into WB, and is still being treated as a separate company.
    What I would hope if it ever falls apart, is that they do an exchange to keep like product libraries together: WB gets the pre-48's in exchange for pre-92 DC/JLA, to stay with the rest of the HB library.

12. ClassicTVMan1981

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/business/time-warner-reports-record-quarterly-revenue.html?_r=0

FWIW, TW hasn't plans to spin off Turner just yet. In fact, when Ted left his company in 2006, when insiders asked him about whether or not he'd ever like to reacquire the assets of his former business, he's said he couldn't afford them anymore.

~Ben

13. Eric B

Eric B New Member

I was thinking more in terms of someone else buying it, not Turner buying it back. I've gotten no sense that anyone is, right now, but the fact that it is still maintaining its status as a separate entity makes it look possible.

14. ClassicTVMan1981

I don't mean the whole Turner empire, BTW. Of the Turner assets, WB should keep the pre-1948 cartoon backlog, the pre-1986 MGM/UA backlog and the Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears stuff.

~Ben

15. classictoonami

classictoonami Member

I dont want anything sold

16. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Sell it to who? And why? Yes, they're not using it to the fullest, but that's about it. It's probably one of the largest, if not the largest, animation libraries there is. It wouldn't be cheap. Plus I don't see any other station making more use of it than Boom and CN.

So NO, keep it. Just make better use of it.

17. Eric B

Eric B New Member

I would wish MGM/UA would buy their own stuff back, and the HB library along with it, and then it would be MGM vs WB again, instead of WB owning all of it. But I guess in your suggestion, at least the JLA and LT/MM stuff would stay together.

18. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre Bile Spewer

I don't know to what degree Warner Bros. Television Distribution has made available the Hanna-Barbera library, but Turner's license certainly isn't exclusive. Examples include DIC's license of The Smurfs for their syndicated block and both WGN America and ABC Family licensing Christmas specials like A Flintstone Christmas and Yogi's First Christmas.

[video=dailymotion;xwge3x]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwge3x_smurfs-1981-the-incredible-world-of-dic-2005_tv[/video]

19. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

And that's exactly why WB will never sell the library. They don't want to give a competitor a helping hand, even if they get a trillion dollars in return. They'd have to be pretty desperate to do that.

20. ClassicTVMan1981

Yeah! To put that another way, they'd have to be in bad economic shape if they ever wanted to do that. And we do love Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo all the way!

~Ben