Should toonami return to weekday midnight run and rising sun and weekday afternoons ?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by classictoonami, Feb 15, 2014.

1. classictoonami

classictoonami Member

should toonami do this or should they not??:tom:

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Weekday midnight run = Maybe, if Adult Swim would be nice enough to let Toonami air on other days beyond just Saturday. The chances are veeeeerrrrrrrry slim, though.

Weekday afternoons = Not happening. Toonami has more creative freedom than ever before; the last thing we need is for anime to be extra-censored and aimed toward the kiddy demographic. (Remember how badly Toonami's shows had turned out after its tenth anniversary? Do we really want CN to meddle with the programming again?)

Rising Sun = Again, no.

3. classictoonami

classictoonami Member

should the midnight run return with it's own exclusive shows and line-up? if they do it then i would be very very happy

4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Love and peace

As much as I would love to see Toonami be the major part of Cartoon Network it once was (I'm too young to remember it, other then a Naruto movie and The Prince of Tennis, but I wish I remembered more), it was a different time when Toonami was on all the time. The late 90's/early 2000's were the anime boom. Think about it; channels like G4 were airing anime, there were anime boxsets in Wal-Mart, more libraries were getting manga, Borders was selling manga like hotcakes, and we even had a 24/7 anime channel (which was on more providers then FUNimation's is currently).

I don't know if there's really an appeal for kids and Toonami anymore. I'm 13 and in middle school and there are very few anime fans, and the ones I do know are into Naruto or yaoi. And the real anime fans who turned to Toonami for their fix have seen the show months before fansubbed in 1080p. There just isn't enough potential for ratings to expand Toonami any earlier.

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Censorship aside, this is different from the hours of 12-1:30 HOW?

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Would you like to see Bakugan on Toonami again?

7. Vernikova

Vernikova ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆

Yeah, sure. There's never enough shounen.

8. classictoonami

classictoonami Member

i think he means am

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I already have Shippuden. That's depressing enough as it is.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

A Midnight Run would be nice and it could happen if Adult Swim would be willing to give them hours that weren't on Saturday. It's a pretty slim chance at best, but it's at least possible. Going back to weekdays would also mean airing on Cartoon Network proper again and I don't think that would be good overall. Some people might have nostalgic memories of the block airing on weekday afternoons, but that was a different time. It was during the anime boom, Cartoon Network was willing to air more anime besides toyetic series and anime seemed pretty popular at the time. I don't know if many kids would be interesting in something like Toonami, especially when the block is mostly appealing to those who are more along the lines of Adult Swim's target audience.

Besides that, Cartoon Network has changed as well. They primarily air toyetic series and while I like most of them, they aren't too interested in airing any other kind of anime, so there's no way that they'd air more anime titles, especially when they prefer to use the afternoon slots for repeats of their own shows. Not to mention they'd lose the creative control that they currently have and the shows would have to aired edited. They also mentioned during one of their Q&A sessions, along with answering questions on air, that it isn't going to happen, so they're sticking with Adult Swim.

11. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Cartoon Network should have a weekday afternoon action block again but they seem to lack any interest in having one.

Toonami will have to do quite a bit better for it to be worth Adult Swim's while to give Toonami time on any other day of the week. Sure, Bleach and Naruto can keep up with AS originals and some of the FOX reruns but Bleach and Naruto cost money to play while Aqua Teen, Robot Chicken and Squidbillies currently occupying the midnight hour on weeknights are reruns that air at no additional cost for as many times as they'd like. The FOX shows cost money yes but they also draw in more viewers than the majority of the action shows on Toonami.

Space Dandy may be a ray of hope for getting a Toonami show on weekdays because it's doing great at 11:30 on Saturday and may be a show they have unlimited access to due to Adult Swim helping to fund the show's production but it remains to be seen. We haven't even seen how the show might handle in reruns but I imagine it'd do alright.

12. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

I certainly hope so I love for anime to be on weekdays again because once a week is so annoying.

13. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Better question: Do you want to see Hamtaro on Toonami again? :D

Not that I think CN would want a show like that again, but the point being that giving Cartoon Network creative control over the block results in things like that.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Really with AS already overly extending itself into cartoon network, I really don't want CN to do the same. Though I would be for a weekday AS expansion. Even if it's later in the block like say at midnight at least having other shows put besides just the standard fare we have on weekday already (the seth macfarlane trio, King of the Hill, Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen, Squidbillies, and the miscalleonous live action series that for some reason AS still does) would be a welcome change. But no, don't put Toonami on weekday afternoons. It's obvious the only anime CN cares about is toyetic fare and really pushing more on that on Toonami wouldn't be welcome. Really CN needs to take better care of it's action shows more on it's own without Toonami or AS's help honestly.

15. Joshua Dierickx

Joshua Dierickx New Member

Yeah, no. I keeping thinking of this for well over a month now but it will never happen, sadly, this was during the "Anime Boom," that was even aired on local networks and cable/satellite channels - and this what made them get a large amounts of profit - in the process (obviously). This had even made more weekday blocks and cable/satellite blocks immensely popular, or they had even made blocks over it, such as for example, AniMondays (SciFi). Even if I have fond memories of running home from school just to watch Toonami and Kids' WB (for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!); it will never happen again. You can wish, my friend. It will never be the same as what was it from 1996-2005 for what anime did to this culture and shaped it, for a short amount of time.

Regular Midnight Run (Monday - Fridays) = maybe, but I'll doubt it considerably because of Adult Swim's comedy line-up with shows such as: Family Guy, Robot Chicken, American Dad, The Boondocks, etc, etc, running the shots. Adult Swim maybe could do it, if Cartoon Network and Turner could pull strings to do it, you'd then have the war between anime versus American cartoons in the process, as always. Adult Swim since about 2006 has had this smear against anime, oh, I wonder why? The decrease in the amount of anime being on television or the decrease amount of anime being popular, could those be the logical answers? However, maybe we could see a return of TMR if they were to promote, market, and heavily advertise the revival Toonami block, with their new shows that they have now. Even then, it is unlikely, but who knows?

Rising Sun = definitely no. On a Saturday, from these respective timeslots: 8am-10am?... I doubt any kids these days are up on a Saturday until 10:30 compared to when we were kids, when we had watched Saturday morning cartoons, every Saturday, and we were up at 5:00am, because we were that excited for it. SATam is almost dead on both formats, aside from a couple of shows that make it popular, and maybe Vortexx could do the job (make it popular again)... Rising Sun, no, as I have mention again and to illiterate it: it will never again. Toonami on a SATam? That was during the pinnacle of anime and when SATam cartoons had peaked, and were both popular on television.

Weekday afternoon = No. If it were to be brought back it would literally be equal to that of what Vortexx is now, and it would be heavily regulated, with all kiddie anime shows on their schedule for their block, or a show would have be only for the age 8-to-13 demographic. We would have a 2nd Miguzi on our hands. It would never be equal to what we had faced back when Toonami was in its early days, they got away with too much, especially, showing blood and gore, with shows such as DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, etc, etc. That is all I'm saying. I'll say after the finale of DBZ in early 2003; Toonami starting decreasing immensely, they had to add more and more shows, even American cartoons, "kiddie" anime, and try to stop their early 2000's lineup. Since there was no more DBZ on Toonami's schedule anymore, and that is what killed it, to a degree. Yet again, it wasn't one of the main factors that killed it completely.

What killed weekdays on Cartoon Network? 1) reduced in violent shows, they went towards kid-friendly violence; 2) nothing to provide for the older demographic that had watched Toonami (at that period in time); 3) Took off their top shows (i.e., DBZ); 4) anime was dying or was peaking, networks were reducing it; 5) They had went towards American cartoons heavily; 6) Cartoon Network's budget couldn't have that much anime being aired; 7) terrible marketing and advertising; 7) networks could careless about anime anymore; 8) reduced schedule for the block, 9) decreased and reduced viewers and ratings; 10) nothing will top the beginning of the Anime Boom; and 11) Excessive reruns. And who could forget? The peak of weekday cartoons as well, almost every network (cable or local) was removing heavily, the same goes for anime - the last weekday block was Kids' WB, in 2005.

I still miss TMR, SATam cartoons, and weekdays cartoons, that's no lie. Even if it were to be brought back... wow.... I can still see an kind of see increase of SATam - to a degree if Vortexx does something to Saturday mornings if they promote it right, but even then... Maybe, maybe, I mean maybe TMR could return - if CN and Adult Swim were to promote the new shows that are on the revival Toonami on weeknights, otherwise, no. Weekday cartoons? No; it is forever killed off by factors, such as: the Internet, iPod/iPhones, YouTube, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc, etc, because kids do not think of cartoons these days as their first option, after they get home from school, they want play video games, go outside, have extracurricular activities, after-school programs, or among other factors to affect it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  16. accookies

accookies New Member

With adult swim starting 8 soon I think it would make sense to add shows like one piece and naruto to that hour. This would be a great way to add toonami into the week

17. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

The fixation seems to be on anime being added to this theoretical return of Toonami to weekdays. What if a returned Toonami was more along the lines of what it was back in 1997/1998, when Toonami first premiered? Back then they aired reruns of Thundercats and Voltron (80's classics), though they quickly added the 1960's and 70's Hanna Barbara action cartoons, some Max Fleischer 40's Superman cartoons. Then they tossed in "Beast Wars: Transformers", Superfriends and Robotech...and then they brought on board "Sailor Moon" and "DBZ", and the switch to anime was on.

I'm just saying Cartoon Network needs to have some sort of weekday afternoon action block...(with a combination of nostalgic reruns and new premiers, that'd be nice).

18. accookies

accookies New Member

Cartoon Network won't ever have another action block during weekdays again if they can't sell toys that's all it comes down two

19. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Let's mash it up!

Toonami is Adult Swim's now, so the Saturday morning and weekday afternoon ships have sailed.

Reinstating a Midnight Run of sorts might be a good idea, if they can get people to tune in.

Outside of the old Hanna-Barbera stuff, which they don't seem to rely on very much these days, I don't think they have the rights to a lot of those shows anymore.

20. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

What I'm proposing is that weekday Toonami does like the original Toonami did: In the late 90's, there was a dry spell for weekday afternoon action cartoons (much like there is now). Late 90's Toonami brought back cartoons from a generation prior, and that's how they kept audiences both old and young tuned in.

A weekday afternoon rerun block with shows from the mid to late 90's and early 00's, some people in college would look back on that stuff, while a younger generation may never have seen it before. Stuff like:

Exo-Squad
    Men In Black
    Max Steel (2000 series)
    Digimon
    X-Men Evolution
    Batman Beyond
    He-Man (2002 series)
    Roughnecks: Starship Troopers

Granted, that may sound like a line-up more appropriate for an action block on Boomerang...but I'd welcome it! And of course, it would lead to premiers of new cartoons (as they were created).