1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Toonami get it's own channel?

Discussion in 'Toonami (Archived Forum)' started by Rho, May 8, 2009.

?

Should there be a Toonami channel?

Poll closed May 15, 2009.
  1. Yes

52.9%
  2. No

23.5%
  3. Shared Only With CN or Boomerang

23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

This happened in the United Kingdom at one point, but it's now defunct.

Do you think there should be a Toonami channel in the USA?

I never really watched Toonami, but I think it would be a very good idea, since it seems the Toonami block is never coming back.

As for programming, I'd have Samurai Jack, Megas XLR, Dragonball, Code Lyoko, Naruto, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Oban Star-Racers, and other assorted animes and action cartoons.
    And of course, maybe some action cartoon movies airing on weekend nights, or daily.

And I'm sure we can all agree we'd need TOM to be there.

Thoughts? (BTW, I know Oban was never on Toonami, but as Disney XD seems to be ditching the show in June, I'd be nice for it to get a new American home, and Toonami seems like a nice choice. Kinda like how 6teen was picked up by CN after Nickelodeon ditched it.)

2. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

You know, considering there is no more Toonami (except in our hearts and memories) let alone any plan to resurrect the name in any medium and the ironic fact that I was one of the first weirdos to actually present the need as why such a network should exist as well as played a small role in the creation of the only such network to exist before they went the unfortunate route to become gray goo (something for everybody and burying the whole purpose of the channel in the process), I'm going to have to say no.

Cartoon Network needs to work on Cartoon Network before even thinking of creating something new. Too bad you didn't see Toonami when it was on. It sure was fun!

Oh, and we've had this conversation many, many, many, many times.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Turner needs to pound out the dings on Cartoon Network and Boomerang before they even entertain the thought of creating a 3rd channel.

This is strictly my opinion, which doesn't carry the weight of sunlight, but I think Toonami is best left as a block, not an entire channel. It's crystal clear that CN has no plans of relaunching it or reusing the name in any capacity, but if they were to ever change their minds, I say that Toonami should only exist as part of CN or Boomerang, or whatever those networks become in the future.

I went into greater detail about this in the Cartoon Network forum, so I won't repeat it all here, but I personally would merge CN and Boomerang into a single channel, retaining the name Cartoon Network, which would carry CN originals and premiere acquisitions as well as blocks of classic cartoons and canceled Cartoon-Cartoons. (Boomerang, in turn, would be relaunched as an ad-supported channel called Boom!, which would carry the live-action shows like CNReal and the live-action movies and would become [adult swim] from 10 PM to 6 AM.) On the 'new' Cartoon Network I'd put a super action cartoon block which would (hopefully) recall the spirit of Toonami, if not the name.

#3 Silverstar, May 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  4. Lazerboy5000

Lazerboy5000 Catch 'ya Later!

In short: should there be a Toonami channel: yes. Will there be, no.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also don't think that Toonami should get its own channel. I think that it worked better as a block than it would as a channel. As both Jeff and Silverstar mentioned, Turner needs to take care of the issues with both CN and Boomerang instead of thinking of making a third channel. I also don't think that there would be enough material to last for a whole channel. It would be expensive to get the rights to air some shows they didn't have before and possibly even more money for shows they no longer have the rights to.

Overall, I think that it wouldn't work out to well with getting a third channel, especially with how expensive it would be. It might also be a better plan to remember Toonami as a block instead of trying to recreate it. I know that you said that you didn't watch Toonami, but I was trying to make a general statement about this idea.

6. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

It's kind of pointless to have a whole Toonami channel now that CN's action slate is pretty limited ever since they dropped a number of their anime licenses earlier this year and allowed their contracts on other action shows to lapse losing them to Disney XD and such.

Can you program a whole channel with the following?

- Ben 10
    - Ben 10: Alien Force
    - Bakugan (yeah like we need more of that airing)
    - The Batman
    - Batman: Brave and the Bold
    - Code LYOKO
    - Fantastic Four: WGS
    - IGPX
    - Justice League / JLU
    - Pokemon
    - Megas XLR
    - Naruto
    - Pokemon
    - Powerpuff Girls
    - Samurai Jack
    - The Secret Saturdays
    - Star Wars: The Clone
    - Storm Hawks
    - Teen Titans
    - Totally Spies
    - Transformers: Animated
    - Xiaolin Showdown (it's a stretch but I'll count it)

These are as of now the only action shows CN acknowledges that they still have. Most of them already air on CN or Boomerang or at least run on CN Video. Yes some 70-90s shows are available too and should be implemented but they could certainly air on Boomerang instead. And that group of shows feels more like a Miguzi channel with a hint of Toonami maybe but hardly a Toonami channel worth making.

They could re-buy shows sure but would they? Probably not.

You'll end up stretching the action shows too thin amongst CN, Boomerang and this channel (which would no doubt play all of the action shows that Boom and CN do now). Or even worse case scenario... CN further boots action to this network which probably no one will get.

There's really no need for a Toonami network right now at most it'd be a reasonable block on CN or Boomerang or a possible CN Too which airs CN's older originals and exclusives. That's the channel I'd want but like the others have said they need to fix Boomerang and CN proper before making another channel.

But to play devil's advocate if CN could strike a deal with Viz to take what Jetstream was and make it a channel, that could be good but it'd still be missing much of what made Toonami... Toonami in the first place.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but only if they got some quality shows back, and not stuff like Bakugan, Powerpuff Girls, and Storm Hawks.

8. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

Theoretically a Toonami Channel could work, but will They do it, NO becuase even though they may have enough or the ability to acquire enough shows, I doubt they ever would I mean They basically ignore Boomerang, its had mostly the same line up for years, If Toonami were to get a channel CN & Williams Street would really have to work hard to keep it from stinking, I think its more realistic to hope for a Toonami reviveal then for the Block to ever get its own channel.:sweat:

9. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Oh, and for the record, all fantasy schedules involving Toonami in any capacity (including channel-form) will be limited to THE FANTASY SCHEDULE THREAD and only that thread.

A friendly reminder from your friendly neighborhood moderator.

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Should there be a Toonami channel? Sure, why not? Will there be one? Signs point to "no". If Time-Warner won't give Turner the money to finance a general childrens' entertainment channel to air it's live action programming on, they sure as shootin' won't give them the greenbacks necessary to finance a Toonami channel.

11. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

It would be great but the animation for TOM alone would be a killer to pay for with a 24/7 channel.

12. kempobot

kempobot Member

This was something I wanted years ago, but that never really happened.

Pairing Toonami up with Boomerang is just a bad idea.

Probably the best way to do it now is if they revamp Jetstream, give it that classic Toonami branding it deserves, make it more of a social site, and give it massive amounts of hype (sorta like what Hulu's been getting recently).

13. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

Considering the original Toonami is dead and other countries Toonami's aren't staying true to the format, I'd have to say no. This wasn't a possiblity when Toonami was alive so I don't see why they would all of a sudden make an entire channel out of it now.

14. Tenma975

Tenma975 Active Member

Good point. CN as a whole needs to be re-made first, which they won't. We'll just have to accept that CN is run by people who hate anime, like most of this country seems to. Then again, that's how I see it. I'm wrong 90% of the time.

15. Foxface321

Foxface321 Member

Like what others said above me those showa animation for tom and the fact that it was a action block and has been dead for awhile now. No it shouldnt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.