1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Toonami be 7 Days a week?

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by Anthony Riley, May 31, 2017.

1. Anthony Riley

Anthony Riley Active Member

I think Toonami should air Saturday and Sunday with this schedule:
    8:00 PowerPuff Girls
    8:30 Rave
    9:00 Bobobo
    9:30 Teen Titans
    10:00 Dragon Ball
    10:30 Dragon Ball Z
    11:00 Dragon Ball Super
    11:30 Naruto
    12:00 Naruto Shippuden
    12:30 One Piece
    1:00 Yu Yu Hakusho
    1:30 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    2:00 Attack on Titan
    2:30 Fairy Tail
    3:00 Sgt. Frog
    3:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai
    4:00 Tokyo Ghoul
    4:30 Samurai Jack
    5:00 Gundam
    5:30 HunterXHunter
    Mon-Fri Schedule:
    8:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai
    8:30 One Piece
    9:00 Naruto Shippuden
    9:30 JoJo's Bizzare Adventure
    10:00 Dragon Ball Super
    10:30 FLCL
    11:00 HunterXHunter
    11:30 Gundam

If Rave and Bobobo don't have uncut dubs, these shows will be replaced with:
    8:30 Durarara!
    9:00 Tenchi Muyo!
    So, what do you think? Did I do a great job or what?

#1 Anthony Riley, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2017
  2. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and then Dragon Ball Super? Seems like overkill...

I would love to see Sgt. Frog on American TV, but it's definitely more of an 8pm show than a 3am one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

It's a nice thought. But I think might be a tad unreasonable to force it for the entire week, Toonami is working blood, sweat and tears where it is now, to extend it right now might kill it.

Right now, I'd rather it just started a little bit earlier. Sgt. Frog would be a good fit for Toonami though and good transition series.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Making it a week would just hurt the block rather than help it, as most of the programs would get old and cost the block more money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

One Piece would've probably fared better airing 7 times a week to get through its arcs. Honestly, I'd settle for Cartoon Network restoring Miguzi to its afternoon line-up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Adult Swim tried running anime on weekdays in the past and it just couldn't sustain enough ad revenue. Also, wouldn't some of those shows draw too many kids to the block?

7. Anthony Riley

Anthony Riley Active Member

Toonami If it came back to Cartoon Network in 2017:
    4:00 Naruto Shippuden
    4:30 Samurai Jack
    5:00 Teen Titans
    5:30 One Piece (Funimation Dub)
    6:00 Dragon Ball Super
    6:30 Dragon Ball Z Kai

8. DanCartoon

DanCartoon New Member

If you see the same cartoons everyday wont be a fun to wait until saturday and sunday and really enjoy the show. I would rather see wait until weekend and spend two days eating unhealthy food, drink coke and watch best cartoons ever.

9. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

This one's more realistic. If Toonami had never left Cartoon Network we would definitely have Naruto Shippuden and Dragon Ball Super.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I honestly do miss Miguzi despite lasting only a couple of years. They had some good shows on its lineup.

I think that they'd push the block a bit later on given how Shippuden and Samurai Jack, assuming that we're talking about the fifth season, can be pretty violent. It is still more realistic than the first schedule though. If Cartoon Network kept Toonami, it definitely would have at least Shippuden and Dragon Ball Super on its lineup.

As for the idea itself, it sounds cool on paper and a weekday slot would have definitely helped out shows like One Piece, but it's just not reasonable. It would cost too much for them to air episodes more than once a week and I don't see Adult Swim being too interested in giving up more timeslots for anime, even with how successful Toonami has been. They're going to stay on Adult Swim and it's really the best place for Toonami. I couldn't see the current Cartoon Network keeping Toonami around, especially when they have little interest in anime or most action cartoons nowadays.

11. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

I think Toonami should slowly build-up towards taking over Saturday night completely and move up from there, the reason why it has good ratings is because of the concentration of anime in one weekly time slot, which means all the anime fans know exactly what time and what day to watch all their shows on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

If it airs all Saturday it will be more than good enough.

13. Negative_Space

Negative_Space Boring person with little to say

This, basically. Toonami being on Saturday nights is what makes it special. It's like a holy time to get away from the world and watch a bunch of cool action shows presented in a cool, stylish format. I'm sure there are plenty of people who've mostly given up watching actual television who're drawn back by Toonami. It shows us what strengths TV still has as a format/medium. But I think you'd lose something if you made it every day.

14. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Man, how things change. There was a segment of fans who once upon a time said that making Toonami air weekly (Saturday), instead of weekdays, ruined it. "No one wants to wait that long to finish a story arc in an anime!"

I can tell you, Dragon Ball Z airing weekdays is what helped make it a ratings sensation, and I wonder if Naruto and One Piece aired weekdays, if they would've done better.

#14 wonderfly, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  15. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

The way people consume television has changed. Part of Toonami's original success was the lack of competition. Today cable television competes with streaming and download purchases. I think even on a weekday schedule, the trickle of Dragon Ball Z episodes would seem slow compared to the binge watching we are used to today.

The problem with these 'dream lineups' is that they exist in a vacuum. It is not about coming up with a perfect schedule, but rather programming for your targeted demographics to drive advertising, and counter programming against your competitors.

16. JPReckless2444

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

First, By the way CN is run by, They would just ruin it by putting shows that doesn't belong on the block. Adult Swim treats Toonami with care, no reason to mess with it.

Second, Putting Toonami 7 days a week, financially, would not work. Trying to get shows for every day would cost them too much money & time. Being on Saturdays is fine. They save up more money that way, thus getting new shows or make more originals.

Finally, with dream lineups, you got to consider if these shows pull good enough ratings.

17. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

That almost makes Toonami sound irrelevant. "Who needs Toonami each week, we've got Crunchyroll!"

18. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

They'll always be a need for content curation. Turner has a vested interest in cable, but will eventually launch a digital network. The 24/7 streams of Adult Swim and Toonami are part of the test. Putting up a free stream allows them to measure viewing metrics to see if such thing is viable.

I think Toonami, or something like it, will outlive cable. After all, it is a brand, not a cable channel. I agree with you that it isn't anything like these on demand services. Platforms like Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Hulu are just programming warehouses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Yes!! Definitely yes!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. SmugSwampert

SmugSwampert New Member

Toonami doesn't have the budget to acquire enough animes to air all week nor would Adult Swim attempt that big of a risk. They won't even give them the entirety of Saturday.