1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Should there be a Superman Reborn animated feature?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by brickrrb2, Apr 8, 2017.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

If anyone has read the recent comic, Should it affect the animated movies?

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I kind of think it would make a great video game, like when they did the whole Death and Return of Superman, inspired the comics.

3. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Hard to say.

"Rebirth" reintroduced a lot of fan favorite ideas that were phased out because of "Flashpoint," so that's a positive. On the other hand, I think it's far messier than "Flashpoint" ever was. At least with FP, you can say Flash's act disrupted the time stream and changed history. "Rebirth" kind of rubbed me the wrong way because the bottom line from DC seems to be every one of your favorite (and not-so-favorite) past Superman stories happened... except for the ones that didn't happen...

Ultimately, I'd say a "Rebirth" story in this current continuity would be pretty pointless, though, mostly because the current animated universe didn't really establish much of Superman's life. "Rebirth" essentially says what you read for the last 5 years is invalid, and the stuff you read the previous 25 is more or less back in place. Animated Supes is closer to a blank slate, so there's not much story to erase and replace. It was never filled in to begin with.

Oh yeah, and I just have no investment (and maybe even negative investment) in Superman's kid. Kind of brings back bad memories of Superman Returns.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Greg91

Greg91 Member

I'd be up for a Superman movie that is similar to DC Rebirth's take on the character, but I don't think we need a Superman Reborn movie.

It'll probably be a few more years until DC Rebirth affects the movies. The New 52 comics started in 2011 and the DC Universe Animated Original Movies only started adapting them in 2014.

If it takes the same amount of time to see a DC Rebirth story as an animated movie, 2019 would be the first year it would happen so I'm in no rush to see it happen. I'd totally be up for a Super Sons movie though!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Active Member

I want a DC Universe Rebirth movie! Restoring the love of Lois and Clark! Or the existence of Jason Todd Tim Drake Ted Kord Red Tornado or the real JSA! Return the gold in the costume of Wonder Woman! the existence of Crisis on Infinite Earths!

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I keep hearing good things about the comic. If they can figure out a way to it in the canon, if not - there's the 3rd slot. I do think there should be a Superman movie. Period.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1